• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

JCizzle

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Max Scherzer's deal is $210 million for seven year. Half is deferred: $105M from 2015-21, $105M from 2022-28. @Ken_Rosenthal first.

2d135ol.gif

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hmm. IDK how to feel about this trade. I like Valbuena and he would have been great insurance just in case one of our specs busts. Astros are getting a really underrated player in Valbuena. He carried our offense during stretches and can play multiple infield positions.

Gotta be better than Matty D with a bat.

How's his fielding?

BFIB

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Max Scherzer's deal is $210 million for seven year. Half is deferred: $105M from 2015-21, $105M from 2022-28. @Ken_Rosenthal first.
Wow. Terrible deal.

How does Boras continue to sell his guys to get these kinds of deals done?

i dont understand how we didnt just extend zim

like, huh

and the move doesn't even help us that much for the post season because we were losing games holding guys under 2 and 3 runs most nights

kind of hate it

Ridiculous. Scherzer is about to fall off a cliff. I don't understand why teams don't AAV the fuck outta these guys, you don't want him wasting a roster spot in years five, six and seven.....

eznark

Banned
Most Rangers fans would drink themselves silly in the middle of the workday if this were all it was going to take.

I'm guessing that it's going to have to be a top 10 prospect (someone like Luke Jackson, Jake Thompson, Nick Williams, Lewis Brinson) and a guy like Rua or Sardinas.

If Melvin can get that for a guy in the final year of his contract I'll be fucking dancing in the streets.

Enron

Banned
If Melvin can get that for a guy in the final year of his contract I'll be fucking dancing in the streets.

Final year of his contract, but still a pretty valuable piece. strong AL #3 starter. I'm fine with giving up Nick Williams. Not so much with giving up Luke Jackson or Jake Thompson, though. Rua or Sardinas are whatevers.

McNei1y

Yeah its definitely an overpay but I like this structure much better than 30m a year. At least it adds room for some payroll flexibility, however much there is. I'm all for a win now rotation.

McNei1y

Adding anything of this caliber to make your team better is win now, regardless of strengths and weaknesses on the roster as a whole.

Two things that are shaken up on the offense side compared to our post season lineup:

1. Escobar is a nat. His stats are slightly better than Cabreras for what it's worth. (Better obp and avg).

2. Zimmerman will be in the lineup rather than Laroche. Remember, he had a couple of hits with way less at bats and sat on the bench when Laroche started over him.

Those are two moves that make us better.

McNei1y

I dont know where we'd slot a bat, though, at this point. Werth and Harper are still going to patrol the outfield next year (2016) when Michael Taylor starts. Rendon and Zimmerman will hold the corners for now. Trea Turner will probably be up in 2016 to replace Desmond. Only place I can see a switch is 2b or Catcher, even though Ramos is gonna hold catcher down for a few years.

I'd accept a bat for the future to replace Werth when he probably/eventually moves to first.

That is some Bobby Bonilla shit.
Sounds dumb but truthfully I like that contract. Guaranteed money after baseball right?

I'm surprised he didn't go the Allen Iverson route too.

E: I agree with Harry. Ethier is definitely available. Take him off our hands please

210 is a lot but I'm fine with the 14 year payments. Could help us out after this year to extend strasburg or sign zimmermann.

I'm pretty sure that for luxury tax purposes in terms of roster salary it's still counted as a 7 year AAV, not 14. The deferred payments are simply a financial move for the front office.

McNei1y

I'm pretty sure that for luxury tax purposes in terms of roster salary it's still counted as a 7 year AAV, not 14. The deferred payments are simply a financial move for the front office.

Well, sure, the roster's salary will still be affected by this contract but at least the payments aren't necessarily in increments of $30m a year. Luckily there's no salary cap to necessarily put us in a bad spot.

Well, sure, the roster's salary will still be affected by this contract but at least the payments aren't necessarily in increments of $30m a year. Luckily there's no salary cap to necessarily put us in a bad spot.

But it's still a 7 year deal and so it does affect the roster in increments of close to $30 million a year. That is what is going to count against their luxury tax cap. How much that will help them will depend on how willing the ownership is to go over the luxury tax.

McNei1y

True. But it still seems like we're underneath the threshold with a few million to spend in that regard. Plus, I've heard rumors that it will increase even higher after 2016 due to how much more revenue MLB is collecting. Which could help us out even more.

True. But it still seems like we're underneath the threshold with a few million to spend in that regard. Plus, I've heard rumors that it will increase even higher after 2016 due to how much more revenue MLB is collecting. Which could help us out even more.

I guess that is where the zimmerman/strasburg trade talk comes from, but I'd just keep them and shoot for the world series. If Zimmerman walks as a free agent but you make it to the World Series that would be a fair trade off for me.

I guess that is where the zimmerman/strasburg trade talk comes from, but I'd just keep them and shoot for the world series. If Zimmerman walks as a free agent but you make it to the World Series that would be a fair trade off for me.

Not to mention they get a draft pick from Zimmerman walking too. Whether or not the Nationals keep him is probably based entirely on what teams are offering. I imagine there's a certain point where trading him is preferable

McNei1y

Yeah. Keeping Zimmermann would be the preferable option for me. And I do not mind a draft pick at all because at least that's something (hopefully a WS comes with it too)... but as Carpe said, I'd at least keep my ears open in case there's a 'no brainer' trade out there.

Yeah. Keeping Zimmermann would be the preferable option for me. And I do not mind a draft pick at all because at least that's something (hopefully a WS comes with it too)... but as Carpe said, I'd at least keep my ears open in case there's a 'no brainer' trade out there.

One won't be coming if it's clear we are going to let him walk

I'd let a lot of bats walk and pray call ups surprise rather than lose pitching all day every day

McNei1y

One won't be coming if it's clear we are going to let him walk

It's just unlikely we wont resign Zimmermann for two reasons: 1) The Max Scherzer signing 2) Zimmermann isn't a Boras client. I still think there's a shot (1 out of 1 million) we resign him but that's the 'wishful thinking' in me rather than the reality. He's more than likely gone. But I'd still hold onto him for this season than trade him (unless the deal is a no brainer).

We know what the Boras/Lerner relationship is like. I still see a Strasburg/Harper extension likely because of that. We also have a lot of money back on the books by the end of 2015/2016 because our payroll opens up ~$47 million after Zimmermann, Fister, Span, and Desmond walk.

But for the Nationals sake, we have Lucas Giolito, AJ Cole, and Sammy Solis in the minors that may eventually replace Zimmermann, Fister, and Strasburg. Michael A Taylor to replace Span. Trea Turner and Wilmer Difo to replace Desmond and Escobar respectively.

It's a lot of long shots, like it was back in 2011, but at least we're not necessarily back to 2007 standards in a few years.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I like how the Nationals consistently make it obvious which moves come from Rizzo and which moves are ownership driven.

Top Bottom