• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Just checked the Mariners score after shutting the game off after we were down 5-0. WHAT THE HELL! I always miss the good stuff. That'll teach me.

To be fair the white sox paid a good amount of money for him and he wasn't guaranteed to succeed. Heck even though he has had a pretty good april (I would like to see the average higher and he still needs some work on defense) it's still no guarantee he will even get close to working off the 10+mil a year he is getting paid by the white sox.

Also the white sox were quite weak at first base as well... most of our top prospects are middle infielders (though the sox do have a few good ones... and it seems like the team is shifting to speed which will be a blast)

Considering a win is worth between 5-7 million dollars on the free agent market and you get to keep your draft pick which also has some monetary value. He really doesn't have to do much to be worth his paycheck.
If he equals 2013 Mark Trumbo he will be worth the outlay.

Chuck

Still without luck
kakes-pie_medium.gif

man I love the Orioles :3

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I find it hard to believe that the Cardinals demoted Wong so quickly. Matheny's quotes about it are confusing at best. It kind of reminds me of how awfully the Braves treated Kenshin Kawakami. Makes me wonder if Asian players are generally given shorter opportunities to perform. Can't say I've seen any research into it.

BFIB

I find it hard to believe that the Cardinals demoted Wong so quickly. Matheny's quotes about it are confusing at best. It kind of reminds me of how awfully the Braves treated Kenshin Kawakami. Makes me wonder if Asian players are generally given shorter opportunities to perform. Can't say I've seen any research into it.

I know LaRussa gets a lot of flack, but it really is one of the best parts about when he managed. He would put players in position to succeed, instead of just expecting them to "figure it out".

To me, there's nothing else Wong can do at the AAA level. Dude rakes minor league hitting, and his glove work is proven. Same w/ Kozma. If he isn't going to be a major league contributor here, then send him somewhere where he can be.

CygnusXS

I know LaRussa gets a lot of flack, but it really is one of the best parts about when he managed. He would put players in position to succeed, instead of just expecting them to "figure it out".

To me, there's nothing else Wong can do at the AAA level. Dude rakes minor league hitting, and his glove work is proven. Same w/ Kozma. If he isn't going to be a major league contributor here, then send him somewhere where he can be.

I'd say the Braves will take him, but as I already mentioned, their record with Asian players isn't great.

I'd say the Braves will take him, but as I already mentioned, their record with Asian players isn't great.

Wong isn't Asian. He is from Hawaii IIRC.

I didn't watch a lot of Cards games yet to be honest, but I figure he's going through the same struggles Marcus Semien is going through right now. The only difference is that the Sox don't plan to contend and try to let him settle at the big league level.

Btw. Semien and Wong are pretty similar players throughout their minor league career, hence the comparison. Semien has a little bit more pop and Wong more speed, but neither has any tool that wows you.

It especially doesn't make sense when Wong is outperforming the two other 2B we have on the 25man (Ellis and Descalso). Descalso shouldn't even be on the team to be honest, but the front office and Matheny must find some value in him playing badly at three positions.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
In news no one cares about.

Houston Astros ‏@astros 56m
The #Astros have traded RHP Lucas Harrell to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

CygnusXS

The Braves have the 2nd lowest amount of PA against LHP in the NL, and the Pirates have the lowest amount. The Braves have a 140 wRC+ against LHP, and the Pirates have a 103 wRC+ against them.

The Braves are 7th in the NL in most PA against RHP and the Pirates are 1st. The Braves have a 89 wRC+ against RHP, and the Pirates have a 83 wRC+.

Overall, the Braves have a 99 wRC+ and the Pirates have a 86 wRC+.

Meaning, I wouldn't be TOO worried about either of these offenses right now.

RGVNOE

It especially doesn't make sense when Wong is outperforming the two other 2B we have on the 25man (Ellis and Descalso). Descalso shouldn't even be on the team to be honest, but the front office and Matheny must find some value in him playing badly at three positions.

Yes I've thought this exact same thing for the longest time, it's rare I find someone else who notices this too

aFIGurANT

Yes I've thought this exact same thing for the longest time, it's rare I find someone else who notices this too
Someone has to fill the grit category for the Birds on the bat. And he does seem to have just enough clutch hits each season to justify giving him more chances. I forget who we were playing but he tagged a couple balls to the wall this year and that's all it takes to avoid snubbing the vet.

RGVNOE

Someone has to fill the grit category for the Birds on the bat. And he does seem to have just enough clutch hits each season to justify giving him more chances. I forget who we were playing but he tagged a couple balls to the wall this year and that's all it takes to avoid snubbing the vet.

He'll have a good hit once in a while, but it seem like in matheny's eyes he gets that one hit and he completely forgets how bad he is most of the time

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Alex Meyer has 22 K in his last 12.2 IP. The only Twins pitcher who has more than 22 K this season in Phil Hughes who has 26 in 28 IP. Free Alex Meyer.

RGVNOE

Matheny's decisions backfiring to the fullest, Descalso should not be in this game his defense is horrible, horrible reaction time

Wong isn't Asian. He is from Hawaii IIRC.

I didn't watch a lot of Cards games yet to be honest, but I figure he's going through the same struggles Marcus Semien is going through right now. The only difference is that the Sox don't plan to contend and try to let him settle at the big league level.

Btw. Semien and Wong are pretty similar players throughout their minor league career, hence the comparison. Semien has a little bit more pop and Wong more speed, but neither has any tool that wows you.

How is Wong not Asian? He is most definitely Asian. You can tell just from looking at him.

If an Asian person is born in America are they no longer considered Asian?

And? I am Korean but born in the US. Am I not Asian?

Wong is half Chinese half Pacific Islander, most certainly is Asian.

Must suck waking up one day realizing you're not Asian anymore.

I'm joking. I have no idea what that other guy is talking about.

Haven't had time to listen in to many games recently, but damn, seems like it's not a great start for us. Wainwright is my hero though.

Carlos Carrasco demoted to the bullpen by the Tribe. Looks like former top prospect Trevor Bauer will get called up to join the rotation. The guy has been destroying the competition in AAA this year (and in one spot start earlier this year in the bigs). Really interested to see what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom