• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fredi G said before the game that Pastornicky is now the everyday 2B.

Also, Braves are using a six-man rotation for the time being. Alex Wood returns to the rotation. David Hale stays in the bullpen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When will the madness end?

Probably when they stop having kids pitch all year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20140513/jose-fernandez-miami-marlins-injury/

Last month I wrote about how pitchers are damaged even before they sign pro contracts and before they get the kind of kid glove treatment Redmond referenced. I found that high school pitchers drafted among the top 30 picks from 2010-12 were five times more likely to blow out their elbows than top 30 high school picks from 2002-09. And if Fernandez needs Tommy John surgery, the incidence will grow to six times more likely, with 38 percent of elite high school draft picks getting Tommy John surgery before age 22 (six of 16).

What used to be an injury of attrition (Tommy John was 32 and had thrown more than 2,000 major league innings before his groundbreaking surgery) has become an injury of too much too soon -- too much velocity and too much stress. The average age of the 22 major league pitchers to need Tommy John surgery this year is just 23.4 years old.

Wait, it gets worse: A study out just this month in the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons found that year-round play in the amateur market has contributed to a 10-fold increase in Tommy John surgeries for youth pitchers.

Meier

My god, what is going on with Tommy Hunter?! He's not elite or anything but he started out so well.. last 4 outings have been a shambles.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm not sure what is happening. There's a 4 next to "ATL" can someone tell me what that means I haven't seen that before

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Oh ok I saw that play at the plate. That is the highlight of your season so far? It was cool that he avoided the tag and all .... but there has to be better highlights with a 1st place team!
It's because I hate Posey with an intense passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom