• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I might vote Morneau.....

Man... I know hindsight and all that. But if we had just kept the team we had last year; AJ Burnett, Byrd and Morneau, which just so happened to be our biggest holes over the course of the season, we'd be in such a good place right now.

jakncoke

Banned
How the fuck does Josh Harrison make over Justin Upton?

Pirates fans voting power

GO PIRATES!

Man... I know hindsight and all that. But if we had just kept the team we had last year; AJ Burnett, Byrd and Morneau, which just so happened to be our biggest holes over the course of the season, we'd be in such a good place right now.

Also blowing 14 late leads is what put us behind the pace.

harSon

Banned
How the fuck does Josh Harrison make over Justin Upton?

Because Josh Harrison is a beast. He has had a damn good season. You can basically line up his success since early May, with our season's turnaround. Dude makes play after play, on both offense and defense.

Yeah, Justin probably deserves to go over Josh, but it's not as absurd an omission when you take into account both sides of the game.

Because Josh Harrison is a beast. He has had a damn good season. You can basically line up his success since early May, with our season's turnaround. Dude makes play after play, on both offense and defense.

Yeah, Justin probably deserves to go over Josh, but it's not as absurd an omission when you take into account both sides of the game.
That doesn't make him an all star. Rendon, Rizzo, and Upton have been better than him.

GO PIRATES!

Fans don't choose the reserves.

jakncoke

Banned
That doesn't make him an all star. Rendon, Rizzo, and Upton have been better than him.

Not our problem their fans didnt vote hard.

Ah, double not my problem then

Josh Harrison has a 2.0 war season
Upton 1.6
Rizzo 2.4
Rendon 3.1

So Upton the first person you wanted in over Harrison has the least WAR of the group lol

harSon

Banned

GO PIRATES!

Yup. Fortunately, we can probably come out of the trade deadline having only bolstered our bullpen, and get away with it. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about our starting rotation, and we'll have an even better idea after we get to hopefully see Liriano pitch a game or two before the deadline. Worst case scenario, we bring Kingham up. We could definitely use a 1B though, possibly a SS, although Mercer has been pretty solid as of late. While we still strand more baserunners than I can stomach, our offense is definitely a step up from last years.

It's obvious why. Hurdle's on the staff. Shit happens.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Not our problem their fans didnt vote hard.

Ah, double not my problem then

Josh Harrison has a 2.0 war season
Upton 1.6
Rizzo 2.4
Rendon 3.1

So Upton the first person you wanted in over Harrison has the least WAR of the group lol

You must be using the inferior bWAR. Try the vastly superior in every way fWAR.

And Harrison seems to be a platoon player? I haven't been watching the Pirates much but based on the splits in his PAs that seems to be the case. Joke nominee.

jakncoke

Banned
Lol. Just saying, if you're going to use WAR in an argument, you kind of have to notice that there are different versions that say very different things.

But why is fangraphs war metric better? (other than it has upton over harrison on it opposed to bwar!)

Also there is no argument from me. Its full blown deal with it territory. I just found it funny the first on he mentioned had a lower war

CygnusXS

But why is fangraphs war metric better? (other than it has upton over harrison on it opposed to bwar!)

Also there is no argument from me. Its full blown deal with it territory. I just found it funny the first on he mentioned had a lower war
Meh it's not really better for hitters, I was just making a joke. Only difference is one uses DRS and the other uses UZR.

I'd never use bWAR for pitchers though, personally.

Malvingt2

The Braves have zero players in the Baseball America top 50 prospect list... How bad is the farm system guys? when was the last time that this happen?

CygnusXS

The Braves have zero players in the Baseball America top 50 prospect list... How bad is the farm system guys? when was the last time that this happen?

Actually I'm a little surprised that Jose Peraza didn't make the list.

The farm is really barren though. Considering how our best pitching prospects have all struggled and we've graduated TLS and probably CB, could end up with the 30th ranked farm.

Malo

Banned
Luis Severino was ranked 34th by Baseball America. He's the highest ranked player we've had since Banuelos was ranked 29 in the 2012 preseason list. And Severino is only 20 and in High A. Nice to the farm make some progress and get better.

cashman

Banned
BA has Gallo at 4! BP has him at 13 but also includes Alfaro, Nick Williams and Chi Chi Gonzalez in their top 50 and they have Brinson on the cusp. As terrible as the big league season has gone, it's nice to see Rangers minor league guys thriving.

jakncoke

Banned
Nice got 5 people in the top 50

Glasnow: Could be something good if he can get his controll and walks down
Tailon: still young so TJ shouldnt hurt him long term
Bell : Really nice season so far
Kingham : Been performing pretty well and seems to never get run support
Meadows: Kinda surprised he is here, season been riddled by hammy

Edit: After the Hinsz signing went right up to the limit lol

The Pirates only have $4,485 remaining before they’d lose a draft pick,

harSon

Banned
Nice got 5 people in the top 50

Glasnow: Could be something good if he can get his controll and walks down
Tailon: still young so TJ shouldnt hurt him long term
Bell : Really nice season so far
Kingham : Been performing pretty well and seems to never get run support
Meadows: Kinda surprised he is here, season been riddled by hammy

Edit: After the Hinsz signing went right up to the limit lol

I have a feeling Cole Tucker might find his way in there this time next year. I don't know if we'll have anyone else rounding out the 100 outside of Alan Hanson and Harold Ramirez, especially the latter whose had a pretty good season so far. I'm not too sure about Hanson either. He's had ups and downs at the plate, and his value at SS is taking a huge beating with his constant errors. I can't imagine both Pedro and Hanson on the field at the same time Lol. Reese McGuire is having a so-so year, and Luis Heredia has been pretty disappointing.

Malvingt2

Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser
Jeff Samardzjia will wear generic "National League" jersey at All-Star Game, sit with the NL team, an MLB official tells me. #Athletics

rando14

Jeff Samardzjia will wear generic "National League" jersey at All-Star Game, sit with the NL team, an MLB official tells me. #Athletics

jaguars-fan-gif_original.gif

see5harp

Man I wish they'd just make the all-star game worthless. Then this wouldn't be an issue.

Oh man this has to be one of the funniest/worst articles I've ever read.
This dude sounds like a butthurt Yankees fan because they didn't get Samardzija, any Yankees fan know this writer?

The stunning Oakland-Cubs trade, in which A’s GM Billy Beane swooped in ahead of a half-dozen other contending teams on Saturday and landed two front-line starting pitchers in Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel for essentially a pair of touted but unproven prospects, prompted some immediate questions such as:

(1) Where were the Yankees, who seemingly could have put together a far better package for Samardzija alone, starting with a catcher, a commodity the Cubs really need?

(2) Where might the Mets be in a subsequent deal when the Cubs use their sudden surplus of shortstops to trade for much-needed starting pitching?

You have to first start with the trade itself, which, on the surface and for the present, appears to be a fleecing for Beane of his Moneyball disciple, Theo Epstein. I say this because when you’re trading your two best pitchers, one of them a bona fide No. 1, don’t you have to get back at least one comparable top pitching prospect?

All Epstein got back was 20-year-old Double-A shortstop Addison Russell, admittedly a top-rated prospect but who was sidelined with a torn hamstring most of the first half of this season; outfielder Billy McKinney, like Russell a former No. 1 draft pick who is nevertheless hitting only .240 in Class A; and back-of-the-rotation starter Dan Straily.
Haha the Yankees couldn't come close to a package containing Addison Russell.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...tein-forgets-game-moneyball-article-1.1856368

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom