• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
ehZuHoq.png

How long will this last, I wonder.

Though, I really shouldn't rag, Rangers have used like 200 different starting pitchers and lost half their starters.

NL Central going to be crazy the next few days with the Reds playing the Pirates and the Brewers playing the Cards

Any one of those teams have a shot at the division

Mariners have scored as many runs in 6 games as Brazil did in one X_X. Going to my first Mariner game in close to a decade on Sunday and slowly losing interest. At least it won't be 100 degrees over there like it is here.

eznark

Banned
Offensively Jean Segura has been worse offensively than 2011 Yuni Betancourt.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to his agent for passing on that ludicrous offer from Melvin this off-seaosn!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Reds going for the rare 5 game sweep. Today at 12:35p in case anyone cares and tends to forget about early games.

see5harp

Any team that is succesful is going to have a certain number of fairweather fans. We're going to pretend like the A's were selling out their stadium in years past. Please, they don't even open that upper deck until football season starts and A's still have nights where you can get tickets for less money than a movie.

I'm still mystified by his contract. Are there advanced metrics that show his true value, or was $105 million or whatever it was simply the going rate of a pitcher of his caliber?
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/homer-bailey-and-his-peers/

Given what we know about Bailey and about what the free agent market just said about good-not-great hurlers with some inconsistencies in their track records, this feels like a pretty steep price to pay, however. Maybe it was the best path forward for the Reds, but I wonder if in a year’s time, they don’t look back and wonder why they paid $100 million for their above average starter when everyone else was paying $50 million for theirs.
Basically, they paid market rate for a pitcher who wasn't a free agent yet and based the contract on one really good year of performance.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Homer Bailey is the fucking worst

Such hyberbole.

I'm still mystified by his contract. Are there advanced metrics that show his true value, or was $105 million or whatever it was simply the going rate of a pitcher of his caliber?

This is valid. He's not worth 17 million a year. He's a decent to upper end pitcher when he's on. Problem is he's very inconsistent. Paying Homer as if he is our #1 ace is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom