• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, the MLB cannot get a break with these UCL injuries. It is amazing how many Tommy John surgeries have been performed this season alone. The Gods are punishing our wonderful game because of behind the scenes stuff that baseball has done to the game itself and it is falling on our young talented pitchers. The Yankees now have 4 opening day starters potentially out for the rest of the season. I am flabbergasted.

ATTENTION NEOGAF FANTASY REJECT OWNERS

I was trying to drop CJ Wilson and dropped Jered Weaver instead. Normally in my other leagues where this happens, the commish will just readd the player but since I'm the commish, that might not appear Kosher. So I ask you, should I be allowed to readd my player? There's a poll on the league page as well. I will abide by whatever the league decides.

add him back.

aFIGurANT

Just read about Yadi/Tanaka and seriously what the fuck is baseball god thinking?

I guess Goldblum was onto something with the chaos theory bit in Jurassic Park? Cuz there's no rhyme or reason to the shit going on lately.

ATTENTION NEOGAF FANTASY REJECT OWNERS

I was trying to drop CJ Wilson and dropped Jered Weaver instead. Normally in my other leagues where this happens, the commish will just readd the player but since I'm the commish, that might not appear Kosher. So I ask you, should I be allowed to readd my player? There's a poll on the league page as well. I will abide by whatever the league decides.

idgaf, my team is terrible this year. Maybe your real competition differs but I doubt it.

Fox318

Jesus, the MLB cannot get a break with these UCL injuries. It is amazing how many Tommy John surgeries have been performed this season alone. The Gods are punishing our wonderful game because of behind the scenes stuff that baseball has done to the game itself and it is falling on our young talented pitchers. The Yankees now have 4 opening day starters potentially out for the rest of the season. I am flabbergasted.

Overpitching of pitchers at a young age
Pitchers throwing 100% all of the time
Weight training issues
Pitchers not getting enough rest
Pitchers not getting proper strength training at a younger age.

Baseball needs a new commish who can attack this issue and also try and get the best young athletes to play baseball again.

Gammon's was talking about how the best athletes have been playing football for a while now and its starting to show its signs.

I think we have apostates and heathens within our ranks. probably watching Soccer.

serious question for MLB GAF:

what does Baseball need to do to either stay forward or come back to the American psyche? it feels (anecdotally) that Baseball is fading a bit.
it's such a wonderful game with the built in strategy and the many things that could happen but because it isn't violent(like Football) or fast paced (yet still a game where you need to be agile and fast and strong and skilled in many facets) it feels like many people are turning away from it.

cashman

Banned

pityparty.gif

what does Baseball need to do to either stay forward or come back to the American psyche? it feels (anecdotally) that Baseball is fading a bit.
it's such a wonderful game with the built in strategy and the many things that could happen but because it isn't violent(like Football) or fast paced (yet still a game where you need to be agile and fast and strong and skilled in many facets) it feels like many people are turning away from it.

We need hipsters to start following the game so other people think it's "sophisticated". It worked with soccer.

I think we have apostates and heathens within our ranks. probably watching Soccer.

Baseball is fading little by little, and it is sad. I love baseball more than any other sport, but these injuries and these people just bringing the game down because of this whole steroids thing is ridiculous. We know what happened and people loved what happened because it was exciting. 500ft bombs is fun to watch. I'm not saying steroids should be part of the game, but it was fun to watch. These reporters just have to get over it and move on, see the game for what it is because it is a wonderful game.

Sealion88

I think MLB is doing fine. What they should do is develop more players from Asia and Africa, globalizing it. Pretty sure DR, VENZ, or Colombia can't be the only baseball hot bed in finding young talent.

Overpitching of pitchers at a young age
Pitchers throwing 100% all of the time
Weight training issues
Pitchers not getting enough rest
Pitchers not getting proper strength training at a younger age.

Bolded is especially puzzling. You think Mark Prior, someone born and raised in California and thus was able to play all year, would've been the ultimate cautionary tale, and his downfall began almost a decade ago. Why coaches encourage young pitchers to play year-round is so bizarre to me, and those decisions are now showing consequences as those youngsters hit the majors.

Malvingt2

I think MLB is doing fine. What they should do is develop more players from Asia and Africa, globalizing it. Pretty sure DR, VENZ, or Colombia can't be the only baseball hot bed in finding young talent.

The system to talk or bring a player from Japan is so damn fucking broken. They have to find a better way. Does it work the same way for the rest of Asia?

If the yankees are not drawing at least 3M fans per year then it is not fine. The Yankees averaged 4.1M fans annually from like 2003 until 2009 or 2010. Now the stadium isn't how it should be.

dmag1223

We need hipsters to start following the game so other people think it's "sophisticated". It worked with soccer.

This is so true.

Also, I think baseball could be made more appealing to the masses with a few changes. Most notably, I think once a batter is in the box, he stays in. No stepping out to adjust gloves bullshit. Same thing for pitchers too, no stepping of the mound every other pitch.

Baseball is fading little by little, and it is sad. I love baseball more than any other sport, but these injuries and these people just bringing the game down because of this whole steroids thing is ridiculous. We know what happened and people loved what happened because it was exciting. 500ft bombs is fun to watch. I'm not saying steroids should be part of the game, but it was fun to watch. These reporters just have to get over it and move on, see the game for what it is because it is a wonderful game.

I agree about the steroids thing, I just don't think it was a big deal. I think a big problem within baseball is the fact that there is a faction, a very powerful faction, of old men in their 50-60s that think Baseball shouldn't evolve. look at how some people and writers react to SABER metrics.

they would need a Commisioner who isn't in the owners pocket so much.

Sealion88

The system to talk or bring a player from Japan is so damn fucking broken. They have to find a better way. Does it work the same way for the rest of Asia?

I think its fine in Taiwan and recently Korea. Thing about Korea is that players need to serve 2 years in the army unless they bring home a gold medal. But China and India, im surprised they haven't found anyone yet besides the 2 guys from million dollar arm.

I agree about the steroids thing, I just don't think it was a big deal. I think a big problem within baseball is the fact that there is a faction, a very powerful faction, of old men in their 50-60s that think Baseball shouldn't evolve. look at how some people and writers react to SABER metrics.

I don't mind Sabermetrics at all, I do believe that numbers alone don't tell the entire story to a ball game or a season. It still does need to change and evolve and become bigger than what it was in its peak.

how about instead of trying to bring teh best talent from Japan we help the Japanese leagues cultivate even further thus helping globalize the game more?

If the yankees are not drawing at least 3M fans per year then it is not fine. The Yankees averaged 4.1M fans annually from like 2003 until 2009 or 2010. Now the stadium isn't how it should be.

well we also had/have a big recession and the new Yankee Stadium is more expensive.

This is so true.

Also, I think baseball could be made more appealing to the masses with a few changes. Most notably, I think once a batter is in the box, he stays in. No stepping out to adjust gloves bullshit. Same thing for pitchers too, no stepping of the mound every other pitch.

agreed. I was watching the Texas game last and it was ridiculous how Adrian beltre tried to step out of the batters box twice while teh pitcher was winding up ready to throw the pitch.

Sealion88

The new stadium blows imo. I don't understand why they built the bleachers like that. But i always get the overly expensive lemonade when i go there.

The new stadium blows imo. I don't understand why they built the bleachers like that. But i always get the overly expensive lemonade when i go there.

Yea that Mogehan Sports Bar steals all the bleacher magic imo aswell. The seats are also very expensive, food and drinks are aswell. I always have at least 1 Hoegaarden at the game because it is just toooooo good.

Need to market the game better. I believe baseball is reaching a point where a lot of young stars are coming up.let's market Trout Hamilton Buxton and whoever else is coming up. Also, pace of games is terrible. Length of games isn't problem of the pacing is good. But shit is too slow right now. Maybe only one pitching change per inning. Also. MLB will be hosting a game or games either next year or 32016. Instead have these games during spring training all over trying to spread the game around. Game is doing great in terms of attendance. And revenue is at a all time high

aFIGurANT

Need to market the game better. I believe baseball is reaching a point where a lot of young stars are coming up.let's market Trout Hamilton Buxton and whoever else is coming up. Also, pace of games is terrible. Length of games isn't problem of the pacing is good. But shit is too slow right now. Maybe only one pitching change per inning. Also. MLB will be hosting a game or games either next year or 32016. Instead have these games during spring training all over trying to spread the game around. Game is doing great in terms of attendance. And revenue is at a all time high

I mostly agree although I don't find the pace too terrible as someone who has tempered the ADD urges within. To get the youth to really engage in it more this could help but ultimately this game is more like chess than checkers. I hope that part never changes.

On the bolded point, though, I think this is really because all the baby boomers are getting those fat pension checks right about now and everything like that. I don't care who supports the game as long as it stays healthy. In the future though will we see MLB become as disregarded as the NHL, is the ultimate question.

jbug617

Banned
So the news here in Boston is about Lester and what would it cost to sign him. The latest fear is that the Yankees are going to swoop in if he hits free agency because the Yanks have no pitchers right now or in the farm.

Lucchino basically admitted today that he low balled Lester (he said it was just a beginning number) and Lester's camp basically closed down talks.

Syrinx

They're already doing it with Trout (they'd be insane not to) and Harper, but I do agree that MLB really needs to market its young stars more. Part of the problem though is marketing young pitching talent since those guys are in high risk of needing TJ and missing more or less an entire calender year.

And yeah, the pacing is bullshit. Them still allowing the constant stepping out of the box and stepping off the mound really reflects poorly on their ability to address problems that should have been addressed ages ago. Not that they needed any more help ruining that though.

The amount of equipment baseball requires compared to soccer or basketball probably hurts too. Little league is great and everything but baseball will never be as accessible as soccer and basketball.

Fox318

1. Better marketing would be the first thing I would do.
  2. Make the all star game silly and fun to watch.
  3. Promote the College World series with ESPN more.
  4. Force owners to spend more money or face fines. I don't care if they have to set a Salary floor or what ever but with the revenue sharing and cable deals these teams should have the money to be more aggressive.
  5. Get the rays out of Tampa and move them to Montreal or Raleigh, NC
  6. Give out as much free equipment to Little League kids as possible
  7. Fix the draft
    1. Allow all picks to be traded
    2. 1st round picks must go on the 26 man roster for the first year
    3. Make college kids use metal bats. Let them get used to hitting the ball deep.
    4. Make international players with less than 10 years of pro baseball enter the draft
  8. Hire seat filler for the lower seats when the businessmen who get the seats on 5-10 year deals don't show up. It looks better on camera.
  9. Force FORCE FORCE FORCE National League Pitchers to attend batting practice every day.
  10. Try and make the stadium atmosphere more exciting at games.
  11. If you can't sell out your stadium every night lower the capacity with tarps.
  12. Work with little league and teen leagues on getting kids to want to play ball in high school.
  13. Promote Fantasy Baseball more. Part of the rise of the NFL over the past 10 years is the ease of entry to Betting and Fantasy Baseball
  14. ESPN's Monday night football deal forces them to have 2 hours of dedicated NFL programming every week day. Force ESPN and whoever else covers the game to have an hour of programming like that
  15. Part of the rise of soccer in the US is because the FIFA video game series has gotten very popular. There is only 1 major baseball video game and it doesn't have the appeal that FIFA does. Work with EA to try and get a baseball video game on every system possible.
  16. Try and work out a deal to stream select games on Youtube and try and do some crazy things with MLB.tv's price.

Part of baseball's issue is that the world is starting to spin faster. People want stuff and action right away and baseball doesn't provide that. It has the most suspenseful moments and the greatest highs of any sport but people need to understand that the build up is part of it.

Bolded is especially puzzling. You think Mark Prior, someone born and raised in California and thus was able to play all year, would've been the ultimate cautionary tale, and his downfall began almost a decade ago. Why coaches encourage young pitchers to play year-round is so bizarre to me, and those decisions are now showing consequences as those youngsters hit the majors.

High School and lower level coaches just want to win. They could give a shit about the players long term prospects.

Syrinx

Part of baseball's issue is that the world is starting to spin faster. People want stuff and action right away and baseball doesn't provide that. It has the most suspenseful moments and the greatest highs of any sport but people need to understand that the build up is part of it..

This is absolutely true. Competing for people's attention is way harder now than it has ever been, and all of the little bullshit that slows down these games and causes overly long breaks in action are absolutely hurting baseball in this department, probably a lot more than MLB realizes.

This is absolutely true. Competing for people's attention is way harder now than it has ever been, and all of the little bullshit that slows down these games and causes overly long breaks in action are absolutely hurting baseball in this department, probably a lot more than MLB realizes.
What's crazy is there's less offense but for the first time ever on average games are longer than three hours. (3:02) there's just too many Ks n pitching changes happening right now.

The amount of equipment baseball requires compared to soccer or basketball probably hurts too. Little league is great and everything but baseball will never be as accessible as soccer and basketball.

I don't agree with that. kids in poor countries play ball.

1. Better marketing would be the first thing I would do.
  2. Make the all star game silly and fun to watch.
  3. Promote the College World series with ESPN more.
  4. Force owners to spend more money or face fines. I don't care if they have to set a Salary floor or what ever but with the revenue sharing and cable deals these teams should have the money to be more aggressive.
  5. Get the rays out of Tampa and move them to Montreal or Raleigh, NC
  6. Give out as much free equipment to Little League kids as possible
  7. Fix the draft
    1. Allow all picks to be traded
    2. 1st round picks must go on the 26 man roster for the first year
    3. Make college kids use metal bats. Let them get used to hitting the ball deep.
    4. Make international players with less than 10 years of pro baseball enter the draft
  8. Hire seat filler for the lower seats when the businessmen who get the seats on 5-10 year deals don't show up. It looks better on camera.
  9. Force FORCE FORCE FORCE National League Pitchers to attend batting practice every day.
  10. Try and make the stadium atmosphere more exciting at games.
  11. If you can't sell out your stadium every night lower the capacity with tarps.
  12. Work with little league and teen leagues on getting kids to want to play ball in high school.
  13. Promote Fantasy Baseball more. Part of the rise of the NFL over the past 10 years is the ease of entry to Betting and Fantasy Baseball
  14. ESPN's Monday night football deal forces them to have 2 hours of dedicated NFL programming every week day. Force ESPN and whoever else covers the game to have an hour of programming like that
  15. Part of the rise of soccer in the US is because the FIFA video game series has gotten very popular. There is only 1 major baseball video game and it doesn't have the appeal that FIFA does. Work with EA to try and get a baseball video game on every system possible.
  16. Try and work out a deal to stream select games on Youtube and try and do some crazy things with MLB.tv's price.

Part of baseball's issue is that the world is starting to spin faster. People want stuff and action right away and baseball doesn't provide that. It has the most suspenseful moments and the greatest highs of any sport but people need to understand that the build up is part of it.

High School and lower level coaches just want to win. They could give a shit about the players long term prospects.

if I could hug you I would.

rando14

Yeah man. Today is bullpen today!

I like it. Wilhelmsen looking good as a starter.

I kinda get the feeling they might be trying to display the bullpen to showcase their value for possible trades

Which, if it works, would probably be a good idea

EDIT: seags the truth

also Baseball has to do everything in it's power to get teams like Pittsburgh, KC and Seattle to be consistent winning franchises again. it kills interest in BAseball when you have so many franchises going 5, 10, 20, 30 years without sniffing the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom