• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

This is absolutely true. Competing for people's attention is way harder now than it has ever been, and all of the little bullshit that slows down these games and causes overly long breaks in action are absolutely hurting baseball in this department, probably a lot more than MLB realizes.

• ad breaks need to be shortened on TV and radio coverage
  • Batters should be limited to stepping out of the box no more than 3-7 seconds. Rule should be taught and enforced at younger level. No more of guys like Jeter re strapping their gloves every swing. Only give them enough time so that a coach can give them a sign.

Honestly the craziest way to fix up the pacing would be to limit the amount of pitchers a team could play each game. Say limit it to 4 or 5. That might be going too far but it would add more pressure on pitchers to fight through trouble.
;

But that might cause more riots than the Spiderman 2 bases.

What's crazy is there's less offense but for the first time ever on average games are longer than three hours. (3:02) there's just too many Ks n pitching changes happening right now.
Also seats have been moving closer to the foul line. There used to be more pop flys to foul territory that a fielder could reach. Now it just extends the pitch count and time of game.

Baseball needs a new commissioner more than anything right now if only to try and distance the steroid stuff as much as possible.

Syrinx

What's crazy is there's less offense but for the first time ever on average games are longer than three hours. (3:02) there's just too many Ks n pitching changes happening right now.

New rule: each pitcher must record one out before they can be taken out of the game (barring injury, of course).

Don't know if TC would be able to handle it.
  • ad breaks need to be shortened on TV and radio coverage
  • Batters should be limited to stepping out of the box no more than 3-7 seconds. Rule should be taught and enforced at younger level. No more of guys like Jeter re strapping their gloves every swing. Only give them enough time so that a coach can give them a sign.

Baseball could also do what other sports do and set a hard limit on the number of times a hitter can step out of the box/pitcher can step off the mound during a game.

Fox318

What they need to do first and foremost is to implement the DH in The NL. Enough is enough.

Best hitters on younger teams are pitchers and SS.

Pitchers are crap hitters in the bigs because they don't attend batting practice like they would if they were younger.

I'd be fine with removing the DH but they need to do it now when there aren't many DHs left.

cashman

Banned
Agree with all of those points except the draft stuff.

[*]Fix the draft
  1. Allow all picks to be traded
  2. 1st round picks must go on the 26 man roster for the first year
  3. Make college kids use metal bats. Let them get used to hitting the ball deep.
  4. Make international players with less than 10 years of pro baseball enter the draft

[/LIST]

High School and lower level coaches just want to win. They could give a shit about the players long term prospects.
- Agree with tradeable picks.

- This is something that would really only work for the most advanced college players. Baseball is just a sport where it takes longer to develop the skills necessary to play at the elite level. There is zero point in messing that up just to add some excitement to the draft.

- They switched from BESR to the BBCOR bats because of safety concerns I believe. So I don't think they're going to change it as shitty as it's made the college game become.

- An international draft is probably coming but I think it would be a terrible idea. The major league academies are really great for developing talent in LA countries and having a draft eliminates the incentive for MLB teams to invest in them.

Fox318

Agree with all of those points except the draft stuff.

- Agree with tradeable picks.

- This is something that would really only work for the most advanced college players. Baseball is just a sport where it takes longer to develop the skills necessary to play at the elite level. There is zero point in messing that up just to add some excitement to the draft.

- They switched from BESR to the BBCOR bats because of safety concerns I believe. So I don't think they're going to change it as shitty as it's made the college game become.

- An international draft is probably coming but I think it would be a terrible idea. The major league academies are really great for developing talent in LA countries and having a draft eliminates the incentive for MLB teams to invest in them.

I understand it takes time to develop players but forcing a player to join the team for one year would lead to major interest in the draft and I think it would help promote the game.

If MLB is going to have a draft that means something then they need to do something about international players in the draft.

American players are at a disadvantage because of the draft and quite frankly I think that its bad for the game and athletes that play 2 sports don't want to go thorough the mess.

rando14

Can we send Hart to AAA already, guy has the feeblest AB's -_- Bring up Montero or literally any other human being on the planet

P.S. the M's are 1 for last 31 with risp

iCCEGE0vokSX5.gif

Best hitters on younger teams are pitchers and SS.

Pitchers are crap hitters in the bigs because they don't attend batting practice like they would if they were younger.

I'd be fine with removing the DH but they need to do it now when there aren't many DHs left.
It takes more than some batting practice to be a professional hitter at the MLB level. Pitchers get millions of dollars to pitch, not to hit.

cashman

Banned
I understand it takes time to develop players but forcing a player to join the team for one year would lead to major interest in the draft and I think it would help promote the game.

If MLB is going to have a draft that means something then they need to do something about international players in the draft.

American players are at a disadvantage because of the draft and quite frankly I think that its bad for the game and athletes that play 2 sports don't want to go thorough the mess.

Forcing them to join the big league team for one year because of reasons is a shitty way to promote the game. Sending Kris Bryant to the big leagues just so he can strike out 50% of the time won't make Cubs fans more excited about the guy. Shit, just look at what last year's #1 overall pick is doing in A+ ball.
W9JG9I3.png

I agree that American players at a disadvantage because of the draft, and they took a real step backwards when they instituted strict rules for the amount of money they're allowed to spend. Honestly they should just get rid of the draft and have a fully free market. Would love the see MLB teams open local academies. It would certainly cut down on the TJ surgeries if they were allowed to develop these starting from age 12.

Fox318

Forcing them to join the big league team for one year because of reasons is a shitty way to promote the game. Sending Kris Bryant to the big leagues just so he can strike out 50% of the time won't make Cubs fans more excited about the guy. Shit, just look at what last year's #1 overall pick is doing in A+ ball.
W9JG9I3.png

I agree that American players at a disadvantage because of the draft, and they took a real step backwards when they instituted strict rules for the amount of money they're allowed to spend. Honestly they should just get rid of the draft and have a fully free market. Would love the see MLB teams open local academies. It would certainly cut down on the TJ surgeries if they were allowed to develop these starting from age 12.

If it goes completely free market I don't see how struggling teams can get out of a rut without spending their way out of it.

And when given the chance most owners would rather lose 100+ games than $100.

rando14

Yep..

Lloyd felt like having a bullpen day and letting Felix go against the A's tomorrow.

WHICH IS FUCKING STUPID BECAUSE A WIN IS A WIN AND WE'RE NOT CATCHING THE GOD DAMN A'S. FUCK YOU MCCLENDON.

Done ranting.

We're not catching the Angels either. Best possible scenario is to fight and claw for WC2 but we don't have the bats to do that right now.

Macattk15

We're not catching the Angels either. Best possible scenario is to fight and claw for WC2 but we don't have the bats to do that right now.

Indeed. Least KC and Toronto lost tonight.

Annnnd Saunders back to the DL ... I'm going to bed.

This fucking team sucks again and this sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom