• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Pirates always seem to play Giants tough but I think it's fair to say that the Giants suck fucking dick. Can't even watch that sorry excuse for a lineup play.

jbug617

Banned
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: “Very good chance” that #RedSox trade Lackey along with Lester.

Interesting.

@Ken_Rosenthal: To be clear: Source not saying #RedSox will move Lester and Lackey in the same deal. Just saying “very good chance” both will be traded.

I can see trading Lackey to the Dodgers and Lester to the Cards or Pirates.

BFIB

@Ken_Rosenthal: To be clear: Source not saying #RedSox will move Lester and Lackey in the same deal. Just saying “very good chance” both will be traded.

I can see trading Lackey to the Dodgers and Lester to the Cards or Pirates.

Cards have been fucked enough by the Red Sox. I don't want to give them Piscotty and Kaminsky to get Lester for 2 months, only to return to Boston in the offseason.

Doogdogg

Cards have been fucked enough by the Red Sox. I don't want to give them Piscotty and Kaminsky to get Lester for 2 months, only to return to Boston in the offseason.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Lester returning to Boston. I put it at 2/5 at best. He wants to play for a contending team next year. Boston isn't close.

I can see trading Lackey to the Dodgers

john-lackey.gif

Dude hates on the rooks.

I mean downplaying a rook's success is one thing, but saying something like:

Reporter: "When you take a look at Wilmer Flores, when he was up here in May, when he played in five consecutive games, he hit. When he plays every other game he doesn't hit. Is now the time to see what Flores can do on an everyday basis?"

Collins: "It all depends where you're going to play him."

Reporter: "You don't have confidence in him at shortstop?"

Collins: "No, no. I didn't say that. The other kid [Tejada] is playing pretty good. I don't know what games you've been watching, but we've been playing pretty good lately."

Reporter: "He's 3-for-29."

Collins: "We're playing pretty good lately. You know, Ike Davis wasn't hitting and we were winning games. So you pick and choose your spots. Wilmer came up because Ruben got beaned, so we were concerned about having a backup. So that's why he's here. There were no instructions to play him everyday. We're going to try to get him at-bats. That's why he's in there today."

Reporter: "What do you need to see from him to keep him in the lineup everyday?"

Collins: "Nothing from him. We've got to figure out if he is going to be the shortstop, or if the other guy is going to be the shortstop."

And then constantly downplaying everything Wilmer does. It screams of being impartial.

Dan Uggla has to go. We're better off playing our minor leaguer Joe Panik at 2nd than that disgrace...at least we would've won a few games this past week because of Uggla's errors :mad:

Pence
Blanco
Posey
Panda
Colvin
Panik
Arias
Susac

With all these injuries, we've been consistantly playing 4-5 minor leaguers everyday in our lineup...its no wonder we can't score any runs. :/

I wouldn't put too much stock in Lester returning to Boston. I put it at 2/5 at best. He wants to play for a contending team next year. Boston isn't close.
Again, the biggest issue isn't whether or not he returns to Boston. The big issue is that it'll take a sizable contract to keep him beyond 2 months and there's no way to get any draft picks back.

The whole "supplement the Waino/Molina/Holliday core with cheap, young talent" plan kinda falls apart if you trade away multiple young potential stars for another expensive aging star.

Loco4Coco

Gee was decent before he got hurt. Get him in a pitchers park he might do OK

Decent? He was one of the better pitchers in the second half last year and carried over to this season before he got hurt. But he's been struggling that last few starts since his return from the DL.

Also Terry Collins is an idiot to play Tejada as much as he does. Tejada has no standout tools, if anything he's below average in all department of the game. Flores might not be the greatest defender but atleast he has a promising bat but we'll never know cause he doesn't give the guy any playing time.

Gammons is reporting the Indians are trading Masterson to the Cards so I guess that would take them out of any Lester trade.
Yucky numbers but his peripherals are better than his ERA suggests and moving to an NL pitcher's park should help some.

Hopefully we didn't give up much for a meh starter who's averaging a tick above 5 innings per start.

Gammons is reporting the Indians are trading Masterson to the Cards so I guess that would take them out of any Lester trade.

I don't think the Cards were ever really in on Lester with what the Red Sox were wanting for a two month rental. Cards value control more than anything

Masterson for James Ramsey.

If this, makes total sense. Ramsey had no shot at making it in the Cards organization with Taveras, Piscotty, and I guess Grichuk ahead of him (though Ramsey can play CF)

BFIB

I'm OK with the Masterson deal. Ramsey was blocked.

Masterson has been on the DL for knee issues, which appear to be fine now. When he's on, his sinker is pretty much unhittable. Exactly the type of pitchers the Cards like. This just has Jake Westbrook 2.0 all over it. Which I'm OK with. I don't see the Cards going deep into a playoff run if they make it this year anyway with how shitty our offense has been.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Crazy the sox situation right now, never ssaw them trading lester, but it just makes too much sense at this point.

Malvingt2

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
Don’t be surprised if Billy Beane makes one more big deal for the A’s by the deadline….and they are “in” on Jon Lester #A’s

no way this is happening..... right?

I'm OK with the Masterson deal. Ramsey was blocked.

Masterson has been on the DL for knee issues, which appear to be fine now. When he's on, his sinker is pretty much unhittable. Exactly the type of pitchers the Cards like. This just has Jake Westbrook 2.0 all over it. Which I'm OK with. I don't see the Cards going deep into a playoff run if they make it this year anyway with how shitty our offense has been.

It probably helps the Cardinals infield is way better defensively than Cleveland (+35 DRS to -39 DRS). Should definitely help Masterson, though his BB/9 is pretty bad this year

Decent? He was one of the better pitchers in the second half last year and carried over to this season before he got hurt. But he's been struggling that last few starts since his return from the DL.

Also Terry Collins is an idiot to play Tejada as much as he does. Tejada has no standout tools, if anything he's below average in all department of the game. Flores might not be the greatest defender but atleast he has a promising bat but we'll never know cause he doesn't give the guy any playing time.

Gee is a fringe #5, good for what he is but not worth all that much.

Tejada doesn't have a single 40+ tool, honestly I can't even think of one he has. Fielding is bad, arm is meh, batting is crap, speed is meh, power is non-existent. He was on pace for the lowest WAR in MLB HISTORY for the first two months of the year. He's progressed from that, thankfully, and is now just terrible.

Flores offers a bat, offense, something we are beyond desperate for. If we have to sacrifice a little defense that isn't even that noticeable to get on base more, I'm for that 10/10 times.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't get it. I assume they are going to move Kelly to the pen but Masterson has been a legit abortion clinic dumpster fire.

Justin Mastersons last 3 starts: 13 ER 20 H 10 BB 14 k 2 HBP

9 innings

Masterson has been that way since he started with the sox. At times he looks like he could dominate games, at other times he's a disaster, he'll never be more than a servicable starter.

RGVNOE

Masterson for James Ramsey.
Not a bad trade at all seeing how Ramsey is pretty much blocked right now and in the immediate future, although we need hitting more than pitching. Even if Masterson has scoreless starts that doesn't guarantee wins if the offense can't score

I don't get it. I assume they are going to move Kelly to the pen but Masterson has been a legit abortion clinic dumpster fire.

Justin Mastersons last 3 starts: 13 ER 20 H 10 BB 14 k 2 HBP

9 innings

We needed a fifth starter anyway until Wacha comes off the DL and had been using a 4 man rotation since the break because MLB decided to give the Cards like 3 or 4 off days in a span of two weeks. So Wainwright/Lynn/Miller/Kelly/Masterson (so bad :lol)

Masterson's recent troubles seem to be more likely related to a knee injury he was put on the DL for and is coming off Friday. With a much better infield defense, I don't think it would be out of the question that Masterson improves his numbers since he's a ground ball pitcher. He's not going to be incredible or anything, but he'll eat innings and maybe there's a chance for some upside.

Basically what the Cardinals needed and they gave up an almost 25 year old outfielder in AA who is like #4 in depth.

Masterson has been that way since he started with the sox. At times he looks like he could dominate games, at other times he's a disaster, he'll never be more than a servicable starter.
Dudes arm slot and delivery is tough to repeat. When he finds the slot dude can be unhittable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom