• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Impressive few at bats with 2 outs. It's amazing Baxter even manages to make a pro team.. dude isn't good and never has been.

This Pirates game is great.

AjjE1vx.png

Meier

It's early, but nice to see Paco is back in form. That little spell of shit he had last year was really depressing.

It's early, but nice to see Paco is back in form. That little spell of shit he had last year was really depressing.

yeah he's looked good so far

time for the home opener and the return of beast mode

haren was real solid too.. if he can keep this up hell be a great #4.. he looked bad in that angels exhibition game so idk

dee gordan has been pretty impressive too!

I couldn't watch the Dodgers game because they decided to show it "after the Pirates and Cubs game finishes" and we all know that never happened :\

lupinko

MLBgaf should I go to a Rakuten Eagles game this season and shout out to Kevin Youkilis that he's still the Greek god of walks?

Wrayfield

Help me pick a team, folks. I thought, my first baseball game I play, an old copy of The Show 11, wherever my character gets drafted, that's the one. I have no affiliation towards a city or geographic area.

But I got "drafted" by the White Sox, and played for the Barons, then got traded to the Cubs and play in Iowa now. I am confused. While the prospect of angering bionic is tempting (MJ did play for the Barons, right?), I'm not quite feeling the choice of either Chicago teams.

A few things to consider:

- Boston sports teams are excluded, I will not go into details of it. I actually quite like Boston as a city, being there regularly and such, but given my dislike for the Pats and the Celtics, I cannot live with such an inconsistency. Also, don't like hipster beards.

- Teams that have a major advantage due to market size and or money available -> rather not.

- Teams that have blatantly cheated, or are covering or have in the past covered for cheaters -> definitely rather not. I'm looking at you, Belichick!

Does that narrow down the search?

Sanjuro

Help me pick a team, folks. I thought, my first baseball game I play, an old copy of The Show 11, wherever my character gets drafted, that's the one. I have no affiliation towards a city or geographic area.

But I got "drafted" by the White Sox, and played for the Barons, then got traded to the Cubs and play in Iowa now. I am confused. While the prospect of angering bionic is tempting (MJ did play for the Barons, right?), I'm not quite feeling the choice of either Chicago teams.

A few things to consider:

- Boston sports teams are excluded, I will not go into details of it. I actually quite like Boston as a city, being there regularly and such, but given my dislike for the Pats and the Celtics, I cannot live with such an inconsistency. Also, don't like hipster beards.

- Teams that have a major advantage due to market size and or money available -> rather not.

- Teams that have blatantly cheated, or are covering or have in the past covered for cheaters -> definitely rather not. I'm looking at you, Belichick!

Does that narrow down the search?

Yeah, no.

Talon

FiveThirtyEight: Are umpire's afraid to call strike three?
Consider a forgotten game in April 2010 between the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox were up a run with two outs in the eighth. Their set-up man, Matt Thornton, was on the mound, protecting a lead with a runner on first and the right-handed Jhonny Peralta at bat. Ahead in the count with one ball and two strikes, Thornton froze Peralta with a slider on the outside half of the plate, a couple inches below the belt. For a pitch like that, the umpire, Bruce Dreckman, would normally call a strike — 80 percent of the time, the data shows. But in two-strike counts like Peralta’s, he calls a strike less than half the time.

Sure enough, that night Dreckman called a ball. Two pitches later, Peralta lashed a double to right, scoring the runner and tying the game. Neither team scored again until the 11th, when Cleveland scored twice to win the game. Had Peralta struck out to end the top of the eighth, Chicago almost certainly would have won.1

This one call illustrates a statistical regularity: Umpires are biased. About once a game, an at-bat ends in something other than a strikeout even when a third strike should have been called. Umpires want to make the right call, but they also don’t want to make the wrong call at the wrong time. Ironically, this prompts them to make bad calls more often.

That’s according to research I did with David P. Daniels showing that the strike zone changes when the stakes are highest. We looked at more than 1 million pitches, almost all ball and strike calls from the 2009, 2010 and 2011 regular seasons, and found that the strike zone expands in three-ball counts and shrinks in two-strike counts. It also shrinks again when the preceding pitch in the at-bat was a called strike. To put it another way, on close calls, umpires are unlikely to call a fourth ball, a third strike, or a second strike in a row. Umpires call balls and strikes as if they don’t want to be noticed.

The umpire’s job is simple: Call a strike when the pitch crosses the official strike zone; call a ball when it doesn’t. When the right call is obvious, umpires make it almost every time. One way to see this is to look at the probability of a called strike by pitch location.

more at the link above...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom