• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That takes some balls as a pitcher. What if he gets Tommy John? Could lose 100+ million.

Yep, huge risk. I have no idea why Scherzer turned that down. He's not going to get the top bucks because he's not a lefty.

EDIT: Oh yeah, his agent is Scott Boras and Boras turns down all extension offers. Derp.

krpiper

I'm a really casual baseball fan that wants to get into it more.

Where is a good place to start? I also have a copy of Out of the Park 14, is that worth playing some more to get into basbeall?

I also follow the Twins, are we gunna suck this year? (again?)

cashman

Banned

Where is a good place to start? I also have a copy of Out of the Park 14, is that worth playing some more to get into basbeall?

yes, but they should be pretty good in a couple of years. Their farm system is the best in baseball right now.

turnbuckle

The Tigers offer to Scherzer is reportedly 6 years, $144 million.

I wouldn't want the Tigers to sign him for that. If he were a few years younger and/or had a longer track record of being very good then maybe. But that's just too much of a risk. Love ya, Max, but not that much.

Syrinx

What exactly is Scherzer hoping for? Was he going to be the 6th highest paid pitcher or player? Either way it's pretty insane for him to pass it up.

What exactly do you want to learn? The basics? The history? Advanced stats?

FrankWza

Baseball encyclopedia.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Best thing to do is watch games. Get a MLB.TV subscription.

Sanjuro

Find a better team than the Twins to follow.

Seriously though, just watch some games, listen to some sports radio, buy a ball cap and take the fucking stickers off it.

RBIs are the single most important stat in baseball. Can't go wrong judging a player's caliber there.

cashman

Banned
This season already sucks. But that probably means that Odor will play 2B and if he does well we can trade him for a decent starter.

krpiper

What exactly do you want to learn? The basics? The history? Advanced stats?
I think Advanced stats would be a good place to start, like I understand all the "basic" things, RBIs and such, but what makes a good ballplayer a good one? and whats a "good" range for stats per game or per season

Best thing to do is watch games. Get a MLB.TV subscription.
I live in market for the Twins, so I will pass on this, for now

Find a better team than the Twins to follow.

Seriously though, just watch some games, listen to some sports radio, buy a ball cap and take the fucking stickers off it.
D: and yeah I'll buy a Marlins hat and take the stickers off

RBIs are the single most important stat in baseball. Can't go wrong judging a player's caliber there.
Even more so than say hits?

aFIGurANT

Odor time? And no I'm not talking about a sweating Prince Fielder after a 100 degree gane
My first thought was Odor too, not sure if you can let a guy suffer through a whole season of shitty ABs if he's not ready though.

Joe Kelly to the 'tation

Carlos Martinez to the 'pen

WTF - my fantasy team is ruined.

Not really but seriously Kelly's peripherals scare me. He is a master houdini artist though I'll admit that much. Cmart's time will come with another team if not STL, believe.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If you're really interested in advanced stats then you want to read http://www.fangraphs.com (which has a glossary section to get you started) and Baseball Prospectus, which requires a subscription to read their good stuff.

rando14

Since the Rangers are hurtin', this is the perfect chance for the M's to swoop in and steal that 2nd Wild card!!

..right? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom