• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

Malo

Banned
Scherzer or Ramirez not in the Yankees plans?
I'm going to assume they would prefer Lester to Scherzer since he wouldn't require a pick, is al east tested (even though the al east is terrible this season), and a lefty in Yankee stadium is a plus. As for Hanley he isn't a SS going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see them signing Drew to a one year deal.

aFIGurANT

Cards and Nats getting hot at the right time.

If we can sustain this level at all I'll be real happy. There's still a lot of ball left to be played but the weak schedule may help us a bunch. Also getting Wacha back could be clutch. I'd like to see what he can do in the seventh (or eighth if Neshek moves to the ninth) if Siegrist and Cmart can't get it done.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'll be lucky if the Reds can manage to win 10 games the rest of the year. This team has fallen off a cliff.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Reds have hit a 3rd Braves batter. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some retaliation pitches coming. The absolute saddest part is these HBP aren't even on purpose we just have a bunch of scrubs pitching tonight. Shameful.

aFIGurANT

It looks like Starlin Castro is out on bereavement list after a cousin and friends died in a car crash back in the DR. It's a bad year for this kind of stuff if you're an NL shortstop.

Sealion88

Went to MCU ballpark today to see Daisuke pitch
Clh859o.jpg

r2e7cxl.jpg

Meier

Ross fell to 0-4 against the Dodgers in his last five starts while receiving a combined three runs of support. He has a 2.67 ERA against them.

Ouch. Clayton of a few years back feels his pain.

I'm trying to find out if there is any truth to the Stros still being able to sign Aiken. Crane says yhere isn't but he is a bold face liar. Wonder what Selig has up his sleeve.

jakncoke

Banned
Does it matter that the contact is backloaded? If anything it'll make it hard for them to move him if they want to move on. Unless they want to Bobby Bonilla him

BFIB

Does it matter that the contact is backloaded? If anything it'll make it hard for them to move him if they want to move on. Unless they want to Bobby Bonilla him

I think it was done that way for luxury tax purposes. That's one crowded outfield for next season.

jakncoke

Banned
I think it was done that way for luxury tax purposes. That's one crowded outfield for next season.

Ah makes sense then. So who is the next cuban/japanese/korean/other predicted to make the leap, is there a list somewhere ? Not that I should care because pirates will never be involved in these biddings unless they let Mark Cuban buy the Pirates.

jbug617

Banned
Ah makes sense then. So who is the next cuban/japanese/korean/other predicted to make the leap, is there a list somewhere ? Not that I should care because pirates will never be involved in these biddings unless they let Mark Cuban buy the Pirates.

Kenta Maeda is probably going to be posted in the offseason.

Chris R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBT2ub-OHM

Yes, I'm reposting this from Reddit, sorry.

Love the flow the pitcher is in, and that the batter is staying in the box allowing the pitches to come in as fast as they are. I'd also like to see "ump vision" maybe once or twice a game, just to take in a different perspective of the various parks I've never been to :(

jakncoke

Banned
I wonder how long is it gonna for take Baez to realize that pitchers aren't giving him shit to hit.

Isnt that just something you have to expect from him? the high K numbers. I mean in AAA this year he has 130 k's, in 2013 between high A and AA he had 147. Although as I just looked at his MLB stats he strikeouts in 40.4% in his first 74 PA, im sure that go back to his mean over time when he is seasoned to MLB pitching.

thefro

Isnt that just something you have to expect from him? the high K numbers. I mean in AAA this year he has 130 k's, in 2013 between high A and AA he had 147. Although as I just looked at his MLB stats he strikeouts in 40.4% in his first 74 PA, im sure that go back to his mean over time when he is seasoned to MLB pitching.

The pattern with Baez is he always starts slow when he moves up to a new level, then the K numbers go down to a reasonable level (he's always going to strike out a fair amount though), walk rate goes up to 7-8% or so, and he starts hitting .300+ and crushing HRs.

I'm not really concerned unless he's still doing this in July of next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBT2ub-OHM

Yes, I'm reposting this from Reddit, sorry.

Love the flow the pitcher is in, and that the batter is staying in the box allowing the pitches to come in as fast as they are. I'd also like to see "ump vision" maybe once or twice a game, just to take in a different perspective of the various parks I've never been to :(

Years ago I read a book by a former umpire talking about what it was like to be behind the plate when Nolan Ryan was pitching. He said high fastballs were like white blurs suddenly exploding in your eyes. When he went to an eye doctor about it, he was told it's because the average brain can't process a fastball's movement fast enough, so you compensate by only seeing the ball at fractions of a millisecond along its path -- and then, when it stops right on front of you, it might register in your brain in something that looks like an explosion.

It blows my mind that major league hitters can watch pitches coming in, and know within an instant whether to swing.

Top Bottom