• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare

This story keeps on giving.

Yesterday when the Cubs defended their grounds crew’s efforts during Tuesday night’s debacle against the Giants, the team noted that they had sent home many of the grounds crew workers earlier in the day. They made it sound as if it were standard operating procedure to do so. But the Chicago Sun-Times reports that there was a bit more to the team’s staffing decisions:

The staffing issues that hamstrung the grounds crew Tuesday during a mad dash with the tarp under a sudden rainstorm were created in part by a wide-ranging reorganization last winter of game-day personnel, job descriptions and work limits designed to keep the seasonal workers – including much of the grounds crew – under 130 hours per month, according to numerous sources with direct knowledge.

That’s the full-time worker definition under “Obamacare,” which requires employer-provided healthcare benefits for “big businesses” such as a major league team.

The Sun-Times article quotes anonymous officials from other teams which characterize the Cubs’ move in this regard as “cheap” and short-sighted.

Take this for what it’s worth, but the Cubs were deemed baseball’s most profitable team in 2013 and its owners are well-known partisan Republicans with a decidedly anti-Obama tilt. If there’s a team which is going to go out of its way to avoid having to pay Obamacare benefits, it’s not shocking that the Cubs are that team. Whether you think that’s a good thing or a bad thing likely depends on your political persuasion, of course.

Seriously, fuck you Cubs management. You deserve to be the laughingstock of baseball.

BFIB

I thought that went off of AAV?

I thought so too, but when I read the report on mlbtraderumors, it mentions how the backloaded contract will help w/ the luxury tax:

Rosenthal reports that the contract will be heavily backloaded, with very little money guaranteed to Castillo in 2014. By structuring the contract as a seven-year deal, however, the Red Sox will gain a break on luxury tax implications

jbug617

Banned
Yep. That's about it. And while we are on the subject, I think the new posting system hurts Shohei Otani's chances of being posted down the line 55 is too little for a transcendental talent like that.

He was dead set about signing with a MLB team before he got drafted. I wonder what happened to change his mind.

I think the Cubs are going to get Maeda. I think Theo is going to strike out on Lester.

Fox318

eqyXiXX.gif

Baseball blackouts might be solved by next year!
According to an Associated Press interview with MLBAM chief executive Bob Bowman, that may soon change:

"Everyone's trying to solve it," Bowman said. "If our hands were 4 feet apart three or four years ago, they are now 6 inches apart," Bowman said. "We're moving in the right way. We continue to talk. The dialogue is professional."

Biggest thing holding it back is local viewers getting their games online.

Top Bottom