• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

cashman

Banned
Dude

image.png

Is the extra WAR coming solely from Runs or is Trout just that good in center?

Wouldn't have thought defense weighed that heavily on WAR but I looked up Matt Kemp the other day as he is having a fairly decent bounce back season and he is somehow worth negative WAR this season. He must have been horrendous in center to start the season.

Is the extra WAR coming solely from Runs or is Trout just that good in center?
Look at the columns next to WAR. The advantage is completely from offense. Defense is about even. Surprising - has Trout been that meh on defense this year? He's been playing CF mostly, right?

But those lines are remarkably similar. K%, ISO, BABIP, BA, and wOBA are essentially identical.

aFIGurANT

Wouldn't have thought defense weighed that heavily on WAR but I looked up Matt Kemp the other day as he is having a fairly decent bounce back season and he is somehow worth negative WAR this season. He must have been horrendous in center to start the season.
Yup, it's funny how the numbers add up when you get this late into the season and you have all this inertia. I'm guessing it's the roto fantasy problem where you just can't quite get out of the hole you've dug yourself into in relation to the league as a whole.

Look at the columns next to WAR. The advantage is completely from offense. Defense is about even. Surprising - has Trout been that meh on defense this year? He's been playing CF mostly, right?

But those lines are remarkably similar. K%, ISO, BABIP, BA, and wOBA are essentially identical.
It seems like there's some deeper math that's hidden in there somewhere. You'd think the higher OBP would be good enough to make them about equal instead of a win different. I might have to put in a question on behalf of GAF for the BP podcast's email show because that's kind of a big difference.

Trout is having an off year by his standards but is turning into a power hitter. I can only imagine if they both played in a band box.

Yeah Trouts numbers are kind of bizarre really, he went from having 49 SB for the 2012 season to 33 in 2013 and 14 this year. Have his stolen base attempts dropped that much?

That's something I would expect out of a player in his late 20's or early 30's, not someone who's only 22 years old.

It seems like there's some deeper math that's hidden in there somewhere. You'd think the higher OBP would be good enough to make them about equal instead of a win different. I might have to put in a question on behalf of GAF for the BP podcast's email show because that's kind of a big difference.
The batting lines are very close. The difference is in the baserunning. And yes, it accounts for more than just stolen bases (taking the extra base, not making outs on the basepaths, etc)

Actually, it's probably not all because of baserunning. He's only ~4 runs better on the basepaths so that's less than half a sabermetric win. The rest must be from park/league adjustment?

jakncoke

Banned
Only has 16 attempts on the year. Interesting stat about him he reached 100 career sb, only been thrown out 14 times. Thats a pretty incredible success rate

jakncoke

Banned
Padres is on revenge mode...gonna ruin us from getting to the playoffs.

While this post is hyperbolic, I do hope you fuck around and Pirates can take the home field for that game and that PNC park is as electric as last year vs. Reds because that was fucking magical

Enigma is crushing me in the NeoGAF Baseball League championship game ;_;

His team on a tear!!! He destroyed mine last week

Yay finally a Dodger game on TV but lol @ start time. 10am Pac

e: LOL Puig with a bunt. Also looking at bottom ticker, Who Mets playing? When this ALT team joined the league?

e2: ADRIAN!!!!!!!!! 2 run homer!!!

Man, these fox broadcasters on the Tigers/Royals suck. To them, this is just a Tigers game, like an old school WWF match where the star is having a match against some scrub, and they're really just looking forward to Wrestlemania.

Edit: hot damn! Thank you again, Tigers defense!

Oh no... Damn it Perez, why didn't you tag up? Hey broadcasters, stfu about it, we're in the age of text messages and communication, if you make a big deal about it, it WILL affect the game.

Is this even reviewable? Also, they didn't tag the base, so is he out? And piss off, Tigers outfield, for walking off the field while it's still being discussed you cocky bastards.

Stupid mistake by Perez, but according to the guys on the radio reading from the rule book, that's not a play that can be overturned. Oh, and no appeal. The umps fucked this up.

Yep, they clarified, there was one. And yeah, sad, stupid mistake by Sal no matter what.

EDIT: oh shit, NY told them it wasn't reviewable and they did it anyway?? Good grief.

Top Bottom