• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

iori9999

Banned
I hate Nathan and Ausmus so much.. Despite that they barely win today.. Cheer up Royals fans.. I think you guys will make the Wild Card because I think the As are done for.. Hell the Mariners are playing mediocre as well.

iori9999

Banned
In fact I would not be shocked if by some miracle both Cleveland and the Royals made it.. Tomorrow is a toss up game. Porcello is prone to bad starts and Guthrie has dominated the Tigers before..

JDHarbs

If we win tomorrow we'll still have a shot at the division. No matter how likely it is. Cleveland always seems to give Detroit problems.

iori9999

Banned
Look at the columns next to WAR. The advantage is completely from offense. Defense is about even. Surprising - has Trout been that meh on defense this year? He's been playing CF mostly, right?

But those lines are remarkably similar. K%, ISO, BABIP, BA, and wOBA are essentially identical.

The reason Trout has the advantage in WAR is because he plays CF even though he hasn't been that great defensively this year like the previous two years.. If you are a CF who puts out his type of production with the bat, you are going to get the benefit because it's rare for the position(See Carlos Gomez).. It's similar to having a high WAR if you produce similarly at SS..

Stanton on the other hand plays corner OF, albeit very good but it's still a position which has the better offensive players, therefore it's a position that easily replaceable in comparison..

Also Jason Heyward, whom is mediocre with the bat but plays RF has been very high in WAR because he's playing ridiculous defense there..

If we win tomorrow we'll still have a shot at the division. No matter how likely it is. Cleveland always seems to give Detroit problems.
Tigers don't play Cleveland the rest of the season..

iori9999

Banned
Well the Tigers win so there is the good.. Now I get to root against my college team because Hoke is a fucking joke and I want him fired.. GO UTES!!

Just this season, last year they went 17-5 I believe against the Tribe lol

It's actually the Twins that always give the Tigers difficulty.

iori9999

Banned
It's actually the Twins that always give the Tigers difficulty.

It usually flip flops.. In 06 it was the Royals.. Lately it's been the Twins.. A few years ago it was the Chisux.. Tigers have actually owned Cleveland lately, but in 2007 and this year, they kind of had the Tigs number..

aFIGurANT

The reason Trout has the advantage in WAR is because he plays CF even though he hasn't been that great defensively this year like the previous two years.. If you are a CF who puts out his type of production with the bat, you are going to get the benefit because it's rare for the position.. It's similar to having a high WAR if you produce similarly at SS..

Stanton on the other hand plays corner OF, albeit very good but it's still a position which has the usually better offensive players, therefore it's a position that easily replaceable in comparison..

Also Jason Heyward, whom is mediocre with the bat but plays RF has been very high in WAR because he's playing ridiculous defense there..

I totally forgot about this aspect of WAR...but now that you say it, it makes sense. It still speaks to how strong Trout is as a power-hitter since we now have a few guys in CF with real nice numbers in their own categories. I'm thinking McCutchen's OBP and 20-20 potential plus Revere's crazy defense and steals.

lol seriously dodgers?

I turned it off at 6-2

F'n bullpen is done!!

e; I think Dodgers should go old school and go with a 2 pitcher rotation if Ryu can't go. Did it in the past

The reason Trout has the advantage in WAR is because he plays CF even though he hasn't been that great defensively this year like the previous two years.. If you are a CF who puts out his type of production with the bat, you are going to get the benefit because it's rare for the position(See Carlos Gomez).. It's similar to having a high WAR if you produce similarly at SS..

Stanton on the other hand plays corner OF, albeit very good but it's still a position which has the better offensive players, therefore it's a position that easily replaceable in comparison..

Fangraphs' "Def" already has positional adjustment baked in to make it easier to compare across defensive positions.

Trout is at -5.1 runs after the positional adjustment. Stanton is at -4.9. Heyward is at 18.7.

For whatever reason, the defensive metrics are not a fan of Trout this season.

aFIGurANT

If I had a chicken mcnugget for every time Karros and the FS1 crew said the word motivation, I'd be fat as fuck.

All that matters is motivating your club and you're in the WS!

The Dodgers bullpen is fucking garbage

sf2fanatic said:
e; I think Dodgers should go old school and go with a 2 pitcher rotation if Ryu can't go. Did it in the past

Maybe if Kershaw and Greinke can sit the rest of the games going into the playoffs. Kershaw looked tired yesterday.

Meier

Just saw the score. God dammit. JP Howell's ERA almost doubled in the past two games.. pitch 63 times and then balloon your era from 1.17 to 2.27 in 2 days. :|

aFIGurANT

Wacha not looking too good. I really don't think there's enough time for him to get right before the playoffs, especially in the middle of a pennant race.
He's looking pretty strong by now. Pitching to lots of contact is alright, maybe not for the long run but he's actually showing something IMO. A lot of these Reds look real deflated but still.

He's looking pretty strong by now. Pitching to lots of contact is alright, maybe not for the long run but he's actually showing something IMO. A lot of these Reds look real deflated but still.

His changeup command isn't where it should be. A lot of hard contact tonight too, but wacha has always been a fly ball pitcher.

If the changeup isn't right Wacha is like a worse Shelby Miller.

Like this would be fine for Spring Training but the problem is theres seven games left after this and I'm not so sure he'll be ready by the postseason. Maybe if we have the division locked up we can start Wacha twice before the end

aFIGurANT

His changeup command isn't where it should be. A lot of hard contact tonight too, but wacha has always been a fly ball pitcher.

If the changeup isn't right Wacha is like a worse Shelby Miller.

Like this would be fine for Spring Training but the problem is theres seven games left after this and I'm not so sure he'll be ready by the postseason. Maybe if we have the division locked up we can start Wacha twice before the end

Yeah the changeup wasn't hitting its spots too well, but he threw some good pitches. He's one step away from putting a lot of guys down but then he goes for the curve. Giving up the double to Negron on his best pitch is perhaps symbolic. I still like him on a level with lackey and definitely above the ghost of Masterson though for obvious reasons.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Braves Team wRC+ in September. 59.

that is without pitchers....

.209/.272/.290

the offense is basically Fredde Freeman right now.

Top Bottom