• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair I think they will... At least make a half assed attempt at the bag. Easy rule to implement, and one that should have been made years ago.

I am too cynical to believe that any rule change would be put in place this postseason. It'll happen next year.

If Sandy Alderson is talking to the right people, maybe that rule change goes into effect tonight.

JABEE

That slide looks like every attempt to break up a double play. The only difference is how hard Utley went in on the slide.

Players rarely go in to be safe. The rule is as long as they are able to touch or reasonable could argue they are attempting to get at the bag, they are fine.

Utley and Rollins understand what it's like to get taken out on plays like that. It's a baseball play.

prag16

Banned
To be fair I think they will... At least make a half assed attempt at the bag. Easy rule to implement, and one that should have been made years ago.
There's already a rule on the books. It just isn't consistently enforced.

(m) A preceding runner shall, in the umpire's judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play:

Rule 6.05(m) Comment: The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner in leaving the baseline for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base.

Judgment call still, but pretty clear in this case I think

Caja 117

Nobody is saying you have to slide directly to the base, but you should at least show a conscious effort that you're trying to reach the base, not just take out a guys legs.

The guy Im replying to is asking for ALL slides in forceout to be taken away and I dont agree with that, however, shit like what Utley did last night need to be revised because even if Utley wasnt looking to injure anyone, he was going towards the player and not even making an effort to go to the basepad.... Heck he didnt even slide, he tackled Tejada.

JABEE

Take out slides on double plays have existed for a long time. Utley's approach to this one is the same as all the break-ups I have ever seen. I don't understand why this is new.

I would say most take out slides are just players reaching for 2nd like Utley does knowing that they are out. They continue running to up-end or disrupt the throw.

Sanjuro

The guy Im replying to is asking for ALL slides in forceout to be taken away, I dont agree with that, however, shit like what Utley did last night need to be revised, because even if Utley wasnt looking to injure anyone, he was going towards the player, not making an effort to go to second.... Heck he didnt even slide, he tackled Tejada.

I feel like revisionist history is coming into play here. Tackle?

He absolutely slid, and not wildly out of the sight of play. What Utley did do is disregard all personal safety for himself, the position player, and used his entire body to break up the play in a dirty manner.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That piece of shit Utley didn't start sliding until he had made it pass the bag. That isn't the same as other breakup slides.

Caja 117

Take out slides on double plays have existed for a long time. Utley's approach to this one is the same as all the break-ups I have ever seen. I don't understand why this is new.

I would say most take out slides are just players reaching for 2nd like Utley does knowing that they are out. They continue running to up-end or disrupt the throw.

I understand your point, and I agree, but some punishment need to be done if the player doesnt even make an effort for the basepad.

And Utley cant be suspended by this, this is how baseball is played now, if they want to change that rule, do so, but sudpending a player over something that was officially considered clean is just insane.

I feel like revisionist history is coming into play here. Tackle?

He absolutely slid, and not wildly out of the sight of play. What Utley did do is disregard all personal safety for himself, the position player, and used his entire body to break up the play in a dirty manner.

I used tackle as en exageration, as Utley half assed effort to slide.

JABEE

I wish there was a reel of every take out slide over the past 10 years. You would soon realize what that slide was not an outlier.

This is what players are taught to do. They are taught to make it appear like they are reaching for the bag while taking out the SS/2nd Basemen on double play balls.

Sanjuro

That piece of shit Utley didn't start sliding until he had made it pass the bag. That isn't the same as other breakup slides.

He slid about a moment prior to contact with the base. It is the same as several breakup slides, it's not the same as someone trying to arrive safely at the bag.

As someone who watched douchenozzle Lawrie injure Alcides Escobar earlier this year on a dirty slide...it's time for a look at the rules. I don't see Utley being suspended in the same way Tom Brady wasn't, as there just isn't a lock clad rule in place.

That doesn't mean he isn't a giant dirtbag. He definitely did that intentionally.

Suspending him would be terrible since it would shine a light on how atrocious the rules for breaking up DPs are right now. I don't even have a problem with the slide itself, although Utley being called safe was horseshit. I'm sure TC will have Harvey dole out some old school justice and it'll be behind them by the time he's through the order the first time around.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm done arguing about it. You either see it as dirty or you don't.

Hopefully the Mets can win tomorrow night. Harvey better come up big.

JABEE

Players in the league are taught to do that slide. The only difference is that Utley is fearless.

I also think it's hilarious that people think that plunking Utley is going to do anything.

Argue against the "barbarism" of Utley while calling for a man to throw a hard ball at Utley's head.

Choomp

Banned
Noooooo spitterrrrr, our unsung hero

Players in the league are taught to do that slide. The only difference is that Utley is fearless.

I also think it's hilarious that people think that plunking Utley is going to do anything.

Argue against the "barbarism" of Utley while calling for a man to throw a hard ball at Utley's head.

Welllll first off, there wasn't really anything to be afraid of when you're going into a guy facing the other way trying to turn a double play. I just think there's a line that's crossed sometimes with these takeout slides, and this was definitely one of the dirtier ones.

Sanjuro

I'm done arguing about it. You either see it as dirty or you don't.

Hopefully the Mets can win tomorrow night. Harvey better come up big.

There are like five different facets to this play that people are combining to create their own narrative.

The question of it being dirty is pretty much unrelated to the rest of them.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
ABAhWgj.jpg

Madden putting the squeeze on eh.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Still no start times for the Mets/Dodgers tomorrow night. Same with Cards/Cubs game. I'm guessing they are waiting for the outcome of the Rangers/Jays game.

Josh5890

Still no start times for the Mets/Dodgers tomorrow night. Same with Cards/Cubs game. I'm guessing they are waiting for the outcome of the Rangers/Jays game.

Kind of BS. I get that MLB wants to spread out the start times but it would be nice if people had more then 15 hours to make plans.

So we won't see something like this done in retaliation to him when he's fielding?

Rj0eb20.gif

Next year, every ball club is going to have an enforcer.

JABEE

My point is that Utley's slide has been a normal double-play break-up slide for a long time. If you want to change the rules. That's fine, but it's strange how people are acting like this is somehow unique to Utley. This is a routine play. I have seen interference called when it is deemed that the player did not at least make an attempt at the bag.

For the most part, umpires are very liberal with the interpretation of this rule.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://twitter.com/robneyer/status/653076665619222528

robneyer Verified account
‏@robneyer

Joe Torre reveals they're "experimenting" in Arizona Fall League with having players slide straight into the bag.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-mets-plaschke-20151011-column.html

Utley has always been known as a tough competitor who will do anything to win, and this late-season acquisition from the Philadelphia Phillies did just that. But in coming days, that hustle may carry a price, and this signature play might wind up being a signature embarrassment.

Not that the Dodgers will publicly acknowledge this, but who can blame them? Reckless, dangerous, even dirty? After those 27 years worth of a World Series drought, the Dodgers will take it any way they can get it.

This is on the league and not on Utley, tons of players are going to go for that slide in a playoff game under the current rules.

Exactly. These slides occur in virtually every game. Piling on one player is dumb considering that everyobe does this.

Could the MLB just alter the rule to say that the sliding player cannot make deliberate contact with the fielding player?

Sanjuro

Exactly. These slides occur in virtually every game. Piling on one player is dumb considering that everyobe does this.

Could the MLB just alter the rule to say that the sliding player cannot make deliberate contact with the fielding player?

The runner should be absolutely able to make contact with the fielder. Having the rule specify the runner has to slide into the bag seems to be what they should be going towards.

JDeluis

Bill Plaschke hates on the Dodgers any chance he gets. No one takes him seriously.

if Toronto wins (at Texas, 5:10pm PT, FS1), NLDS Game 3 is 5:37pm PT Monday. Otherwise 5:07

Tuesday game will be at 5:07 PT.

Mifune

Mehmber
Cannot believe people are defending the Utley slide. He didn't even touch second base. It's a dirty slide. It's always been a dirty slide and people saying it happens "all the time" don't know what they're talking about.

Utley is trash. Dodgers are trash. The Dodger fans in front of me at the game who were laughing and applauding when the cart came on the field are the worst trash of all.

What the Cards have done to Kershaw in the past, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it again against Arrieta.

Arrieta has been money against his former teammate Marp tho.

Arrieta_Carpenter_1280_oylg1voi_qsmmvip7.jpg

Doesn't that dude have one of the worst postseason prediction records?

He famously said "Tigers in 3" against the Cards in the 2006 WS.

I feel strangely confident going into game 3. Cubs haven't actually really done anything this series so far - last night was all failures of the Cards defense. Arrieta is due for some regression and I'd bet this trust Maddon in him will backfire sooner rather than later.

Also, see: Kershaw in general, Kris Medlen in 2012, Cliff Lee in 2011.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Guys, the slide is just a part of baseball.

Just like it will be just baseball when Utley or another Dodger catches a 96mph ball to their ribs.

He famously said "Tigers in 3" against the Cards in the 2006 WS.

I feel strangely confident going into game 3. Cubs haven't actually really done anything this series so far - last night was all failures of the Cards defense. Arrieta is due for some regression and I'd bet this trust Maddon in him will backfire sooner rather than later.

Also, see: Kershaw in general, Kris Medlen in 2012, Cliff Lee in 2011.

You going Lackey in Game 4?

Guys, the slide is just a part of baseball.

Just like it will be just baseball when Utley or another Dodger catches a 96mph ball to their ribs.

Coaches and both dugouts will be warned before the game tomorrow. Harvey won't throw at a Dodger, which affects how he pitches on the inside of the plate.

Josh5890

Utley is trash. Dodgers are trash. The Dodger fans in front of me at the game who were laughing and applauding when the cart came on the field are the worst trash of all.

Realistically there are those kind of fans in every fanbase. It doesn't matter if you are a Cubs, White Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Dodgers, Braves, ect. There will always be the immature fans. Some fanbases have a higher per capita then others though. Alcohol helps full that stupidity.

MC Safety

My point is that Utley's slide has been a normal double-play break-up slide for a long time. If you want to change the rules. That's fine, but it's strange how people are acting like this is somehow unique to Utley. This is a routine play. I have seen interference called when it is deemed that the player did not at least make an attempt at the bag.

For the most part, umpires are very liberal with the interpretation of this rule.

Not a routine play. In a routine play, you slide for the bag and well before it.

None of that happened with Chase Utley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom