• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asking you to explain your nonsensical statement.

No you didn't. You never asked me to explain myself. You asked whether a player on my team had slide like Utley did. I don't recall any slide from an Astro that I had witnessed every being that bad, but I'm bet there has been. Also: I further clarified that I wouldn't root for the dodgers this postseason, and that I feel the rule should be changed. Either way, I'm probably never going to respond to a post of yours again, because this is the second or third time I've put you on my ignore list over the past couple of years, hopefully never to be removed again.

Hell even the Coghlan play at least he slid. He just slid and kicked his legs out which is scummy and dirty but at least he slid. Utley threw every pound of his body into Ruben.

No you didn't. You never asked me to explain myself. You asked whether a player on my team had slide like Utley did. I don't recall any slide from an Astro that I had witnessed every being that bad, but I'm bet there has been. Also: I further clarified that I wouldn't root for the dodgers this postseason, and that I feel the rule should be changed. Either way, I'm probably never going to respond to a post of yours again, because this is the second or third time I've put you on my ignore list over the past couple of years, hopefully never to be removed again.

Telling people you're putting them on ignore instead of just doing it seems so petty and insecure.

Dirty play. Dodgers fans should be ashamed of tonight's game, but they're like this instead:
dodger-fan-spinning-and-double-birding-angels-crowd.gif

zychi

Banned
Hell even the Coghlan play at least he slid. He just slid and kicked his legs out which is scummy and dirty but at least he slid. Utley threw every pound of his body into Ruben.

Rewatching it, lets assume Utley wasnt trying to hurt him(hard I know) it looks like to me, like Utley changed his mind from standing at the base and instead slid, which gave us that that awkward half slide/roll thing he does.

Utley also has a history of concussions, so maybe he was freaking out when he saw Tejada turn his back to him?

I dont know. Torre needs to make a ruling about this quick tho

Dirty play. Dodgers fans should be ashamed of tonight's game, but they're like this instead:
dodger-fan-spinning-and-double-birding-angels-crowd.gif

If anybody is doing that, it's because salty ass Giants and Mets fans are saying shit like fans should be ashamed of a freak accident during a baseball game, saying they should stay off social media, posting images of shitty underwear and saying they should break Seager's leg in retaliation.

If anybody is doing that, it's because salty ass Giants and Mets fans are saying shit like fans should be ashamed of a freak accident during a baseball game, saying they should stay off social media, posting images of shitty underwear and saying they should break Seager's leg in retaliation.

As opposed to classy Doyers fans who post jokes about players having their legs broken.

Hypocrite.

It's a rule that needs to be looked at, but likely won't change until someone like a Derek Jeter gets hurt from it.

I just heard they're testing new rules on it next year. It won't be long before they change the rule for MLB.

It's true a lot of players do awful slides, I've seen several already these playoffs alone. I've seen worse than Utley (though it's near the top because of how upright he still was at the time, there's late and then there's waiting until you reach the base and thinking shit, gotta slide). That's why there needs to be a rule change.

zychi

Banned
I just heard they're testing new rules on it next year. It won't be long before they change the rule for MLB.

It's true a lot of players do awful slides, I've seen several already these playoffs alone. I've seen worse than Utley (though it's near the top because of how upright he still was at the time, there's late and then there's waiting until you reach the base and thinking shit, gotta slide). That's why there needs to be a rule change.

Not trolling, what do you think they should do to change the rule?

I really dont understand how you fix this without changing the way baserunning happens. The Coghlan play you make the guy slide feet first and not slide out.If Utley is sliding a bit earlier, Tejada still lands on him because his back is to him, and Utley gets spiked, and Tejada likely gets a knee to the crotch. It's still a messed up play, just no broken leg.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You know your argument is weak when all you can do is resort to the "lol you all salty" defense.

Who cares if reckless plays may greatly increase the chance of injuring someone, anything that could happen as a result is just a freak accident in the end after all.

A new rule would obviously be judgement based but it needs to happen. I've seen a lot of players almost hurt from runners sticking their leg 3 feet up in the air while sliding to try to make contact to disrupt the throw.

Rewatching it, lets assume Utley wasnt trying to hurt him(hard I know) it looks like to me, like Utley changed his mind from standing at the base and instead slid, which gave us that that awkward half slide/roll thing he does.

Utley also has a history of concussions, so maybe he was freaking out when he saw Tejada turn his back to him?

I dont know. Torre needs to make a ruling about this quick tho

I am really trying to see a smart baseball play right here. I am. I'm trying to see what you're saying. But I see an angle like this:

https://twitter.com/AmazinAvenue/status/653053493838782464/photo/1

And I just can't buy him changing his mind on his slide angle or decision. To me it just looks entirely deliberate to knock out the runner's legs with 0 intent to take the base.

Also I'm pretty sure Utley is concussed right now, everybody remarked on how "off" he seemed after the game. Pretty sure he got hurt too. Which is awful if he kept playing with a concussion.

zychi

Banned
I am really trying to see a smart baseball play right here. I am. I'm trying to see what you're saying. But I see an angle like this:

And I just can't buy him changing his mind on his slide angle or decision. To me it just looks entirely deliberate to knock out the runner's legs with 0 intent to take the base.

Also I'm pretty sure Utley is concussed right now, everybody remarked on how "off" he seemed after the game. Pretty sure he got hurt too. Which is awful if he kept playing with a concussion.

Thats why I think he may have changed his mind from standing to "sliding". Because he realized Tejada may make the DP after all. And obv his job at that point is to break it up. Just unfortunately ended with Tejada injured. It's hard to get anyone to think this way when Utley has a history of weird slides like this

Thats why I think he may have changed his mind from standing to "sliding". Because he realized Tejada may make the DP after all. And obv his job at that point is to break it up. Just unfortunately ended with Tejada injured. It's hard to get anyone to think this way when Utley has a history of weird slides like this

Honestly if you're around tomorrow I'd love to debate this more but it's 4AM and I ain't got shit left.

You know your argument is weak when all you can do is resort to the "lol you all salty" defense.

Who cares if reckless plays may greatly increase the chance of injuring someone, anything that could happen as a result is just a freak accident in the end after all.

if all I was doing was saying "You all salty" you might have a point

but I'm not

so you don't

The stupid part about this is he would have been (correctly) safe if he slid to the bag instead of at Ruben's legs.

Dodgers fans are literally the only ones defending the slide.

w/e the slide was dirty but the umpires didn't swing the bats for gonzo and turner after the play

mets pitching didn't get it done.. sorry

not gonna apologize for winning the game

it sucks that tejada broke his leg.. i remember being pissed when joe kelly broke hanley ramirez's rib in game 1 of the nlcs 2 years ago.. i don't remember being this petty about it though.. but i guess when you make the playoffs for the first time in 10 years

i think the suggestion that utley was attempting to injure tejada is crazy and baseless.. i don't think coughlin was trying to injure kang either

It's not a freak accident. There are serious injuries at second all the time, just like there were serious injuries at home until the rule changes.

After Buster Posey was injured in a "freak accident" caused by the bulshit that used to go on at home plate, people finally got fed up and it got fixed. In the same way that it was stupid to allow contact on a defenseless catcher it is stupid to allow contact at second.

This is on the league and not on Utley, tons of players are going to go for that slide in a playoff game under the current rules.

It's not a freak accident. There are serious injuries at second all the time, just like there were serious injuries at home until the rule changes.

After Buster Posey was injured in a "freak accident" caused by the bulshit that used to go on at home plate, people finally got fed up and it got fixed. In the same way that it was stupid to allow contact on a defenseless catcher it is stupid to allow contact at second.

This is on the league and not on Utley, tons of players are going to go for that slide in a playoff game under the current rules.

Well said.

LJ11

You're doing too many what ifs. If Tejada doesnt turn his back to the runner, no one gets hurt.

Tejada's mistake was fielding that bad throw, and then turning his back to the runner. Regardless if Utley's slide was dirty, Tejada can't see or react to where and what Utley is doing

So if Tejada defies the laws of physics he would be ok?

You bascially want him to not even attempt to catch that ball, sounds reasonable...

The throw is to his left as he's going to his right, momentum is going to force him to twist. Short of not actually involving himself in the play, there was nothing he could do to protect himself. Especially since Utley gave no fucks about the base, he was gunning for a dp breakup.

Oh, so you agree it's not a freak accident now? How convenient for you to flip flop on your earlier comment!

I think his general point was well stated, and I said as much. It's still obvious it's an accident, but his point that it may not be a "freak" accident because the rules promote these collisions is well stated and worth considering. I'm not sure if I agree entirely but I think it was well said.

That's how a discussion by adults works.

You seem awfully concerned about "flip flops" though. Is somebody changing their mind due to a convincing argument about something a sign of weakness?

There are three levels of culpability -- malicious, reckless and negligent. Utley's slide was reckless because it it had a ulterior purpose that lacked regard for the safety of another player. A reckless slide is not permitted by the rules.

MC Safety

Bullshit dirty play. Utley slid for Tejada, not for the bag and only when he was even with it. He didn't touch the base, either.

I agree with Justin Upton.
Justin Upton

If that was a superstar shortstop we would have a Tulo Rule being enforced tomorrow

see5harp

Breaking up a DP is one thing. I feel like the Kang injury..that was at least a clean slide and Kang had a chance to get off. Chase Utley wasn't even anywhere close to touching the bag. Chase Utley is now trash. What does Barry Bonds have to do with Chase Utley?

Branduil

Breaking up a DP is one thing. I feel like the Kang injury..that was at least a clean slide and Kang had a chance to get off. Chase Utley wasn't even anywhere close to touching the bag. Chase Utley is now trash. What does Barry Bonds have to do with Chase Utley?

Cleats up in the air isn't a clean slide. That play was just as bad as Utley's.

Branduil

Rumor going around is that Utley is going to be suspended for the remainder of the postseason

LOL, that would honestly be pretty pathetic from the MLB considering it

1) Doesn't change the outcome of the game that just happened

2) The play was a natural result of their horrible rules. An extreme example, but still de facto legal as has been consistently called by the MLB umps.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Takeout slides etc.. are fine. Sliding late like that though, not good. Just make it so if the ump feels like the player slid late intentionally then they are out, especially if they don't even touch the bag.

and btw Posey was out.

It could've been any player on the Dodgers roster to make that slide and it HAD to be Chase Utley...

Wright should be pissed. He played dirty in Philly and he plays dirty for the Dodgers.

Had that play happened to Seager or to Tulo or any of the big name SS, MLB would be announcing a rule this morning protecting the fielder.

What a fucking injustice.

Maxim726X

It could've been any player on the Dodgers roster to make that slide and it HAD to be Chase Utley...

Wright should be pissed. He played dirty in Philly and he plays dirty for the Dodgers.

Had that play happened to Seager or to Tulo or any of the big name SS, MLB would be announcing a rule this morning protecting the fielder.

What a fucking injustice.

To be fair I think they will... At least make a half assed attempt at the bag. Easy rule to implement, and one that should have been made years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom