• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought a neighborhood play at second was one of the things umps were going to be lenient on when reviewing a play due to safety in cases like this? Guess not, since Utley was ruled safe even though Tejeda's foot was like 1 cm from the bag.

Apparently it isn't a neighborhood play if you don't throw to first. But that is all the more reason to make a rule protecting fielders at 2nd base. Tackling them has 2 advantages:

1. Prevent the out at first
2. Possibly prevent the out at second if you can stop them from throwing the ball

In other words, instant replay increased the advantage for tackling fielders at 2nd base, as well as making fielders try harder to touch the base (since they may not be able to take advantage of the neighborhood play). So to everyone saying "why now", it is genuinely more dangerous these days.

The umpire called Utley out erroneously, which is why he left the field.

But again, he wasn't safe either. At the time the umpire made the call Utley was tangled up with Tejada, and Tejada was still holding the ball and could have tagged Utley if he had been called safe.

So we end up with a weird situation in which if Utley was called safe, he would have been out. But since he was called out, he became safe. Replay shouldn't work that way, this was a time to go with the call on the field because there is no possible way to know that Utley could have gotten past Tejada to get back to 2nd base. If he had touched 2nd base during the slide, different story, but he didn't.

zychi

Banned
Apparently it isn't a neighborhood play if you don't throw to first. But that is all the more reason to make a rule protecting fielders at 2nd base. Tackling them has 2 advantages:

1. Prevent the out at first
2. Possibly prevent the out at second if you can stop them from throwing the ball

In other words, instant replay increased the advantage for tackling fielders at 2nd base, as well as making fielders try harder to touch the base (since they may not be able to take advantage of the neighborhood play). So to everyone saying "why now", it is genuinely more dangerous these days.

But again, he wasn't safe either. At the time the umpire made the call Utley was tangled up with Tejada, and Tejada was still holding the ball and could have tagged Utley if he had been called safe.

So we end up with a weird situation in which if Utley was called safe, he would have been out. But since he was called out, he became safe. Replay shouldn't work that way, this was a time to go with the call on the field because there is no possible way to know that Utley could have gotten past Tejada to get back to 2nd base. If he had touched 2nd base during the slide, different story, but he didn't.

The neighborhood rule isnt reviewable. Tejada never touched second and makes contact with the runner (with his back turned), this makes the runner safe. Tejada not touching second is what was reviewed and thats what makes Utley safe

The neighborhood rule isnt reviewable. Tejada never touched second and makes contact with the runner (with his back turned), this makes the runner safe. Tejada not touching second is what was reviewed and thats what makes Utley safe

What I'm saying is that if the umpire had called Utley safe, and Tejada had then tagged him, Utley would have been out.

So if the umpires make the correct call, Utley is probably out (we can't be sure if he makes it to the base before getting tagged). In such a situation, I don't think replay should be used to make him safe. Given that the outcome is so unclear (and imo he would have been out if the correct call was made), just go with the call on the field.

I think everybody should just call it a night. It's clear all this is gonna do is get folks banned and shit. I'm pissed, all Mets fans are, but there isn't jack shit we can do we need to just let it go and deal on Monday.

You should probably give up on watching the sport entirely too because that slide is something you'll see in many games.

Went to my first game at a couple of months old, been watching for 25 years. Disagreed with the rule for a long while. I can full well feel fine rooting against a team for a post-season because of a player going beyond the realm of even a normally hard slide. I don't think it's utley's fault, per se, but the rule should be changed and that should be heavily discouraged and fined.

Please tell me how I should enjoy watching the sports that I do

No worries. Just don't root for Satan. :)

Don't worry, I'm a Stros fan and can't root for Satan.

zychi

Banned
What I'm saying is that if the umpire had called Utley safe, and Tejada had then tagged him, Utley would have been out.

So if the umpires make the correct call, Utley is probably out (we can't be sure if he makes it to the base before getting tagged). In such a situation, I don't think replay should be used to make him safe. Given that the outcome is so unclear (and imo he would have been out if the correct call was made), just go with the call on the field.

You're doing too many what ifs. If Tejada doesnt turn his back to the runner, no one gets hurt.

What actually occurred, I've explained a few times. It's a rule that needs to be looked at, but likely won't change until someone like a Derek Jeter gets hurt from it.

I use Castro, from earlier today, at second as a smart version of this play, realizing there was no chance for the DP, he played 2nd base like a a 1st basemen would cover first. Out of the way of getting crushed by a slide.

Tejada's mistake was fielding that bad throw, and then turning his back to the runner. Regardless if Utley's slide was dirty, Tejada can't see or react to where and what Utley is doing

On the subject of shitstains...

@ShaneVictorino: Always called him one of my toughest teammates...Utley showing why I always called him a winner!!! #MLBPlayoffs

Went to my first game at a couple of months old, been watching for 25 years. Disagreed with the rule for a long while. I can full well feel fine rooting against a team for a post-season because of a player going beyond the realm of even a normally hard slide. I don't think it's utley's fault, per se, but the rule should be changed and that should be heavily discouraged and fined.

Please tell me how I should enjoy watching the sports that I do

Don't worry, I'm a Stros fan and can't root for Satan.

So in that 25 years no one on the team you root for has ever slid like that right?

So in that 25 years no one on the team you root for has ever slid like that right?

How many questions can you ask that mean jack-shit?

You're telling me to never watch a sport that I've watched my entire life because I vehemently disagree with a rule in the rule books. That is a horrible opinion, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

12096366_10156163854900430_7515246754982788720_n.jpg

How many questions can you ask that mean jack-shit?

You're telling me to never watch a sport that I've watched my entire life because I vehemently disagree with a rule in the rule books. That is a horrible opinion, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm asking you to explain your nonsensical statement.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
giants fans too apparently

i seem to recall their team trying to get utley too.. weird

That was never a serious bid given Panik and Tomlinson. As mentioned earlier it was likely to try and drive up his price.

But yeah, there will be a ton more salt from LA fans when Mattingly does just enough to keep his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom