• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The bottom line for me is that if you break someone's leg, you fucked up. Imagine if Tejada was their best player; they'd be screwed.

Sanjuro

The bottom line for me is that if you break someone's leg, you fucked up. Imagine if Tejada was their best player; they'd be screwed.

Now isn't the time to really fix it though, as everything is going to be second guessed. Should be dealt with ASAP though in the off season.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder when he started this slide and how many games he was suspended for.

LehoQvN.jpg

If that resulted in a broken leg, I'm positive we'd see the exact same reaction. Especially given that game happened so soon after the new catcher rule.

And why are you replying to me? I'm not in your little discussion about rule changing or how things always were, I'm just replying to JABEE about how the other pic wasn't "textbook" because the slide started before the base. Which is ludicrous, the majority of slides into second start well before you reach the base.

As for the suspension, we all know the league is only doing so because a reckless play resulted in a high-profile injury in a playoff game. And as I mentioned a few lines above, if Holliday broke Scutaro's knees or ankles it would also likely have happened then as well.

XiaNaphryz

Uhh we have had injuries occur because of it already.

And we all know the league won't respond unless it's a high-profile situation. I don't even know why you're arguing with me, I don't even know what discussion you're having with others in the thread. I was just replying to Jabee, lol.

JABEE

They're punishing because he injured Tejada. If that is the case, I guess Utley will have to live with that. Arguments that players busting their ass down to second are doing on ground balls in the infield are doing so to tag the bag rather than take out the fielder making a play on the ball is ridiculous.

This is a part of the game until it is consistently enforced in the way that people seem to be calling for the rules to be enforced.

zroid

Banned
Estrada has earned a nice pay day next year. A lot more than his current $3.9 mill. A lot of teams going to try and overpay for him.

Hopefully it is the Jays. I like him a lot.

I'm a little scared of regression... I mean his BABIP is crazy low. But he does induce a lot of weak contact. I keep thinking it'd be dumb to give him a QO, but... maybe not so dumb? I dunno.

And we all know the league won't respond unless it's a high-profile situation. I don't even know why you're arguing with me, I don't even know what discussion you're having with others in the thread. I was just replying to Jabee, lol.

Countless catchers got hurt on colisions before Posey, yet the league MVP gets hurt and suddenly the rule gets changed.

That's how these things work. Sports are always reactionary. It sucks. It shouldn't be that way, but here we are.

Could that be the home run turns this series around? Like the one Alomar hit off of Eckersley?

God, I hope so.

This has never been the case in the MLB. It's why you see take-out slides every freaking game designed to up-end the fielder in the process of a double play. Slides like Utley's slide have been a part of the game forever.

Did this change when the NY tabloids started going crazy? Did baseball suddenly change?

You can call what Utley did interference if you want, but players have been sliding in the vicinity of the bag knowing they are out for a long damn time. They aren't running down there to touch base. They are trying to disrupt the double play.

Utley's was very dirty. He started sliding late, and went directly into Tejada. It almost looked calculated.

From what I saw, he was off the baseline, too.

Dirty shit

Estrada has earned a nice pay day next year. A lot more than his current $3.9 mill. A lot of teams going to try and overpay for him.

Hopefully it is the Jays. I like him a lot.

Me too

I'm a little scared of regression... I mean his BABIP is crazy low. But he does induce a lot of weak contact. I keep thinking it'd be dumb to give him a QO, but... maybe not so dumb? I dunno.

Estrada is a replacement level pitcher having a career year, definitely not sustainable.

Absolute horseshit suspension. Wouldn't have happened on a regular season play. Torre bowed to NYC pressure and idiot sportswriters on second-tier sites like SB Nation.

JABEE

I think what you are describing is exactly what happened. It seems like baseball is reluctant to change anything until some controversial thing happens that makes them look silly.

They start testing things out, and then when something bad happens, they leap forward and institute a rule.

"Bad call in Braves play-in game" The response is instant replay!

"Posey gets his leg destroyed." Finally, it's okay to abolish taking out the catcher!

XiaNaphryz

Countless catchers got hurt on colisions before Posey, yet the league MVP gets hurt and suddenly the rule gets changed.

That's how these things work. Sports are always reactionary. It sucks. It shouldn't be that way, but here we are.

And I absolutely agree with how that's how things operate and have said as much. Which is why I'm confused, is Bam Bam arguing that I'm not agreeing with that?

Again, I just wanted to comment on Jabee's claim that Huff starting his slide before the bag meant it wasn't textbook, which was what I was disagreeing with.

I think what you are describing is exactly what happened. It seems like baseball is reluctant to change anything until some controversial thing happens that makes them look silly.

They start testing things out, and then when something bad happens, they leap forward and institute a rule.

"Bad call in Braves play-in game" The response is instant replay!

"Posey gets his leg destroyed." Finally, it's okay to abolish taking out the catcher!

Again sports are way too reactionary instead of proactive about this stuff. Not gonna get any argument form me.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
When was the last time the MLB was proactive about something? Integration? And that was only because Rickey Branch violated the owners' agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom