• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the Braves keep Smoltz/Glavine/Hudson long enough for those 13 straight Division titles?

I'm trying to picture a deGrom/Thor/Harvey future and I can see them keeping the Mets competitive enough to go 5-6 straight divison titles.

Well Glavine, Pedro, and El Duque all got hurt. Trachsel sucked, and we had to start Ollie Perez in the NLCS.

We were lucky we made it that far.

Oliver fucking Perez, that goober.

BumRush

How did the Braves keep Smoltz/Glavine/Hudson long enough for those 13 straight Division titles?

I'm trying to picture a deGrom/Thor/Harvey future and I can see them keeping the Mets competitive enough to go 5-6 straight divison titles.

Matz and Wheeler too, lol.

Hudson didn't join until 2005, the last year of the 14 straight division titles.

Ted Turner had an infinite bank account. They signed Greg Maddux to the richest free agent deal ever (until a week later when Barry Bonds signed with the Giants). Turner gave Smoltz and Glavine whatever they wanted too.

But in 2002, Turner was pushed out due to the adomidable AOL Time Warner merger. The Braves were under orders to cut money and couldn't pay Glavine what he wanted, so he took off to the Mets.

And Smoltz was a relief pitcher from 2001-2004 (missed the entire 2000 season due to Tommy John surgery) until he went back to the rotation in 2005. Smoltz was very close to signing with the Yankees after 2001 with promises of going back to the rotation and way more money than the Braves were offering, but Smoltz chose loyalty and stayed.

Hudson didn't join until 2005, the last year of the 14 straight division titles.

Ted Turner had an infinite bank account. They signed Greg Maddux to the richest free agent deal ever (until a week later when Barry Bonds signed with the Giants). Turner gave Smoltz and Glavine whatever they wanted too.

But in 2002, Turner was pushed out due to the adomidable AOL Time Warner merger. The Braves were under orders to cut money and couldn't pay Glavine what he wanted, so he took off to the Mets.

And Smoltz was a relief pitcher from 2001-2004 (missed the entire 2000 season due to Tommy John surgery) until he went back to the rotation in 2005.

He was a pretty damn dominant closer though.

But yeah the Braves had unlimited money during their run, the Mets, theoretically, should be able to afford to keep at least 2 of the big 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom