• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hudson didn't join until 2005, the last year of the 14 straight division titles.

Ted Turner had an infinite bank account. They signed Greg Maddux to the richest free agent deal ever (until a week later when Barry Bonds signed with the Giants). Turner gave Smoltz and Glavine whatever they wanted too.

But in 2002, Turner was pushed out due to the adomidable AOL Time Warner merger. The Braves were under orders to cut money and couldn't pay Glavine what he wanted, so he took off to the Mets.

And Smoltz was a relief pitcher from 2001-2004 (missed the entire 2000 season due to Tommy John surgery) until he went back to the rotation in 2005. Smoltz was very close to signing with the Yankees after 2001 with promises of going back to the rotation and way more money than the Braves were offering, but Smoltz chose loyalty and stayed.

He was a pretty damn dominant closer though.

But yeah the Braves had unlimited money during their run, the Mets, theoretically, should be able to afford to keep at least 2 of the big 5.

14 straight?? Fuck.

They were also able to keep Chipper and Andruw happy.

Speaking of Andruw Jones, I had no idea he spent his last year of baseball overseas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andruw_Jones

Oh man, imagining Smoltz on the 01 Yankees...

BumRush

3N16MA

Banned
Sorry if I offended you or something, dude. Lol.

That sucks. I thought it was more of a "he'll be fine next year" thing.

Change to bullpen?

Not offended at all. Just returning the same reply that you sent my way. I wouldn't expect it to offend you.

That sucks. I thought it was more of a "he'll be fine next year" thing.

Change to bullpen?

At this point if he ever pitches again I'd be amazed. He's basically describing dead arm. It might be in his head, but if he can't get past it, doesn't matter. Once you get shoulder issues, you're done.

BumRush

Not offended at all. Just returning the same reply that you sent my way. I wouldn't expect it to offend you.

I was saying that what granderson did will never show up in box scores. The average baseball fan or Mets fan will never see the fangraph stuff you linked. Thanks for linking it though, man.

That Jose Fernandez fellow has got a pretty nice one too. Not as high in velocity but he's got fantastic command.

Jose throws it 96-98, it feels like 100 at the box because of late explosive life and lack of trailing.

He's got a great one, but so does Thor. His has such incredible late life.

The Mets have four, maybe five starting pitchers with this kind of filthy stuff, that's just plain not fair.

Wheeler probably has the best stuff in the entire group. And he's not even healthy!

It's nuts. I'v never seen anything like it. Any single one of them could pitch like an ace or be the ace of another team.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
CRo5pEZXAAA7toe.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
I was saying that what granderson did will never show up in box scores. The average baseball fan or Mets fan will never see the fangraph stuff you linked. Thanks for linking it though, man.

If you're talking about the box score you would be correct.

J2 Cool

Wonder if thats it for Arrietta. Other than that manufactured Granderson walk turned into a run he's really righted himself but imagine Maddons ready to pinch hit for him, and give him more rest

I meant our bats. We have defense but also our offensive potential is nuts.

We need to keep murphy and cespedes

No we don't. I'd like to keep Yo, absolutely, but Murph can be replaced by Dilson/Wilmer and we'd lose basically nothing offensively. Hell we'd get better defensively. Murph is dumb as hell with his defense sometimes.

There is plenty in this system and available to keep the offense viable.

3N16MA

Banned
I meant our bats. We have defense but also our offensive potential is nuts.

We need to keep murphy and cespedes

Murphy is a decent 2B with a good bat and passable defense. What he is doing in the postseason is great but the Mets shouldn't overvalue him.

Cespedes is someone they should focus on.

Murphy is a decent 2B with a good bat and passable defense. What he is doing in the postseason is great but the Mets shouldn't overvalue him.

Cespedes is someone they should focus on.

Exactly, letting Murph go, using that money for Yo, and letting the internal options they've been grooming for this exact situation take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom