• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinse82

Just win, Jays. Get it to game 6-7 where we have Price-Stroman and hope for the best.

Asking a lot to take 2 in KC but with those 2, there's a glimmer of hope.

Nothing has happened in this series that would cause this optimism so I dont know where this is coming from lol. Guess I'm just not ready for this season to end.

zroid

Banned

Your points are valid; obviously I don't know if the game would have gone differently if Price had been lifted or better yet not returned in the 7th inning. However, I should say the Jays do have 3 reliable relievers right now who can shut down an offence for 3 innings, even if it hasn't necessarily looked it so far in this series (Lowe, Sanchez, Osuna).

Really my original intention wasn't to say the Jays would have won this game, but to draw similarities between Game 1 and Game 2. Volquez had shut the Jays down but he hadn't been as efficient as Price so he was lifted after 6 innings. Them's the breaks, right?

- "Cliff Pennington has officially pitched in more playoff games than Felix Hernandez."
this made me laugh :lol

poor Felix

Only quoting for this beautiful GIF, did you somehow kidnap Sunhi?

I have lurked over on Royals Reddit all season and they get very GIF happy after wins. :)

Just win, Jays. Get it to game 6-7 where we have Price-Stroman and hope for the best.

Asking a lot to take 2 in KC but with those 2, there's a glimmer of hope.

Nothing has happened in this series that would cause this optimism so I dont know where this is coming from lol. Guess I'm just not ready for this season to end.

That's the right attitude. The series isn't over. It's a huge uphill battle, but I hesitate to discount Toronto's bats. They're just in a bit of a slump.

this made me laugh :lol

poor Felix

To be fair, Pennington also has a lower postseason ERA than Cueto. :p

zroid

Banned
Apparently Loup can't be replaced on the roster because he is not injured. A family emergency is not a valid reason to be replaced on the roster, it seems. Thanks, MLB.

Barry Zito has a 6-3 career postseason record with a 2.83 ERA over 60 innings!

Sign him!

Apparently Loup can't be replaced on the roster because he is not injured. A family emergency is not a valid reason to be replaced on the roster, it seems. Thanks, MLB.

It's a weird rule. Moose missed around two combined weeks this season with his mom's health and passing. He was placed on bereavement leave, but I don't believe it opened up a roster spot. I don't get it. Nobody is faking a family emergency to help manipulate roster rules
...well, maybe the Yankees or Cardinals would.

As a lifelong Mets fan I'm happy to see my team up 3-0. So many Cubs fans were hoping to face us as they thought were an easy team to beat but the Mets showed them they are for real. All we need is one more win and we have a World Series berth. It's a surreal feeling.

The optimism is nice to see! The problem for me is that to win 3, the Jays would need career defining performances from their depth guys - the same guys that have really struggled against KC.

Thus, my onions tell me the Jays will be eliminated today.

A sad end to the best season the Jays have had in my adult life.

Hopefully the building continues through winter.

I like to think the Jays will do everything in their power not to be eliminated at home today but KC has probably destroyed them mentally. That being said, I think this game won't be a high scoring affair. Estrada actually pitched pretty well in game 1, the Royals just kept finding holes or hitting sharp grounders that barely stayed fair. I think I'm going to go with under 9 for +100. Don't know who will win this game.

Tonight I'll take the Mets for +105 on the money line. I doubt Hammel will be able to stick around too long. Cubs have never seen Matz before so he's definitely got an edge over them.

squall211

As a lifelong Mets fan I'm happy to see my team up 3-0. So many Cubs fans were hoping to face us as they thought were an easy team to beat but the Mets showed them they are for real. All we need is one more win and we have a World Series berth. It's a surreal feeling.

Can't even imagine what it's like to be a fan of a team like the NYY or STL where your team is always contending every year, even if they don't win it.

So is the general feeling around here that if it's a Royals/Mets World Series, the Mets pretty much have zero chance?

Think of Madison Bumgarner did to the Royals last year. Now times that but about 3 and a half (Matz hasn't given us that big of a sample size yet). I don't know where zero chance comes from.

the Royals just kept finding holes or hitting sharp grounders that barely stayed fair.

Have you watched the Royals this year? Because that's what we do. We never strike out, and we always put the ball in play. Statistically, one of the best contact teams of all time. Whether it's a ground out, a fly out, or a double down the line, we're putting the ball in play. After that it comes down to defensive placement, shifts, and luck. But the ball is leaving the bat more often than not.

hGMOzDA.png

So is the general feeling around here that if it's a Royals/Mets World Series, the Mets pretty much have zero chance?

I think you'd have to be a fool to believe that. The Mets look great and have awesome pitching. I just hope Murphy returns to normal.

Have you watched the Royals this year? Because that's what we do. We never strike out, and we always put the ball in play. Statistically, one of the best contact teams of all time. Whether it's a ground out, a fly out, or a double down the line, we're putting the ball in play. After that it comes down to defensive placement, shifts, and luck. But the ball is leaving the bat more often than not.

hGMOzDA.png

I think you'd have to be a fool to believe that. The Mets look great and have awesome pitching. I just hope Murphy returns to normal.

I hope he doesn't... Would be a great series but both teams need to handle business tonite.

Askani

Yeah I would definitely not say zero chance. I mean, I like the Royals chances a lot since our bats have come alive and our defense is still rock solid, but I think it will all around be a lot closer series than people are expecting. The Mets are a good team no question.

I agree the Royals are no Joke but the troika of Syndergaard/DeGrom/Harvey or SynderGromVey if you will is a a tough task for any team. LETS GO METS!

They also learned a lot by batting against he who shall not be named and really put it to use this year as evidenced by our recent offense.

Beckx

The heart of the Cubs lineup is scary good, and the Mets shut them down. Great (power) pitching wins rings.

(Obviously, if the Mets starters falter under the load, then it looks better for the Royals.)

Royals are going to win the World Series in 5 or 6 games. I think they are a team of destiny this year, and It would not surprise me if they sweep the Mets.

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

Fuck out of here!

I love all of these newly cemented Mets haters.

The Mets just faced off against 4 very good NL Pitchers and manage to outlast those teams in those games 4 times.

C'mon. At least be upfront about your disdain of the Mets.

Syrinx

Wat?

People may think the Royals are the favorite but I don't know how you think the general feeling is that the Mets have zero chance. Like one guy is saying that.

3N16MA

Banned

Why wouldn't the Mets have a chance? They would have gotten past the Dodgers top 2 pitchers and a good Cubs team (best record since the deadline).

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

Fuck out of here!

I love all of these newly cemented Mets haters.

The Mets just faced off against 4 very good NL Pitchers and manage to outlast those teams in those games 4 times.

C'mon. At least be upfront about your disdain of the Mets.

I have been here all season though! Anyway, I'm not discounting the Mets, I just think the Royals are going to win. I wouldn't be shocked if the Mets won either.

Plus, I actually don't hate the Mets, and I am perfectly okay with them winning the World Series. Seeing David Wright win a ring would be awesome.

The only thing I don't like about the Mets is how a large part of the fan base has a giant chip on their shoulder.

Didn't mean to top page this...long look at the 2015 Royals. I regret nothing, other than writing this on a tablet.

The 2015 Royals are unquestionably better than last year's team on both sides of the ball. We're now a team that's batting Alex Gordon in the seventh our eighth slot. Think about that.

Moose, Cain, and Hosmer all progressed to be incredible hitters and remain gold glovers. Moose in particular went from being a one dimensional pull guy to slapping the ball all over the place. Hoz and Lo Cain are All Stars.

Kendrys Morales is the comeback player of the year, the most cerebral guy we've got, mashes the ball from both sides of the plate, and a big upgrade over Big Country Breakfast Butler.

I like Aoki but he was a black hole offensively in the Series, and I think Rios is a solid upgrade everywhere but defensively. Rios was hot early on, awful after his broken hand, and back on again when we need him most. I think he's making the most of his first playoff appearance.

Zobrist is a massive upgrade over Omar Infante. It's not even close. The infant is a defensive wizard, but he isn't worth a damn at the plate. Zobrist is super disciplined, hits for power and average, takes bad pitches for walks (Omar never walks), and really rounds out the lineup. I say Zobrist was the single biggest trade deadline pickup this season in terms of payoff. He carried the team in August.

Sal is Sal. My favorite player on the team. Amazing catcher who had progressed a ton at this plate this postseason. He actually takes pitches now! He doesn't saying for the fences every at bat!

Pitching staff, there's no question the team is better. This is a team that started garbage man Jeremy Guthrie in game seven of a World Series. Think about that. We played guys like Vargas and Danny Duffy in extended roles last postseason. Our ace was James Shields.

Now we have Volquez and Cueto to go with Ventura. None of them is as good as the Mets three best, but they're way better than what we fielded a year ago. Our bullpen remains the best. Davis has put up two seasons statistically better than anything we've ever seen, including from Mariano Rivera.

I like the Mets and do think they're superior in terms of pitching staff. But let's not be delusional, none of them are going to repeat what MadBum did last year. He won three freaking World Series games! DeGrom lives by the fastball, and we happen to be the best FB hitting team in the league. We're also at home and on a mission to finish what was started last year.

TL;DR - Royals close out the Series at home in game six.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I like the Mets and do think they're superior in terms of pitching staff. But let's not be delusional, none of them are going to repeat what MadBum did last year. He won three freaking World Series games! DeGrom lives by the fastball, and we happen to be the best FB hitting team in the league. We're also at home and on a mission to finish what was started last year.

Did you watch last night's game? deGrom adapted his game by throwing more curves and changeups when the Cubs batters were hitting his fastball.

Did you watch last night's game? deGrom adapted his game by throwing more curves and changeups when the Cubs batters were hitting his fastball.

I did. Are your saying he's not a predominantly fastball pitcher who throws four different kinds? He lives and dies by throwing those for strikes, and has been super successful doing so.

He's an ace, no question. I'm saying we're better equipped to get at him than most teams. KC Contact Kings.

Lol top page it? Step up your ppp game, dude.

50 PPP Master Race, brother.

squall211

Wat?

People may think the Royals are the favorite but I don't know how you think the general feeling is that the Mets have zero chance. Like one guy is saying that.

Maybe it's not as many posts/posters and I thought, but just skimming through some pages it looked like I was seeing a lot of "Royals gonna sweep" type posts.

I have been here all season though! Anyway, I'm not discounting the Mets, I just think the Royals are going to win. I wouldn't be shocked if the Mets won either.

Plus, I actually don't hate the Mets, and I am perfectly okay with them winning the World Series. Seeing David Wright win a ring would be awesome.

The only thing I don't like about the Mets is how a large part of the fan base has a giant chip on their shoulder.

Because they are a team of folly. 2007 wasn't that long ago.

Just as well as they can potentially win rings, they can fuck it all up just as easily.

It's better to be cynical than to expect the world like those obnoxious Yankee fans that wont shut up about 27 World Series rings, the majority of which most of their fans were not alive for.

Maybe it's not as many posts/posters and I thought, but just skimming through some pages it looked like I was seeing a lot of "Royals gonna sweep" type posts.

I don't see a sweep, but I looked it up and they are surprisingly common recently. Four of the last eleven. That's wild.

If it's like most other teams, those have been sold out for some time now. Royals World Series tickets went quickly when we clinched the playoffs. You can still buy standing room only spots for $480. :)

Beckx

Cubs/Jays fans looking on like I can't believe you guys are already comparing the matchup.

That said, which team has better defensive metrics, Mets or Royals?

Saying DeGrom is predominantly a fastball pitcher is beyond short changing him. Yes his best pitch is his fastball but he murdered the Cubs when he knew they were looking fastball with nothing but breaking balls. Good luck to KC in hitting him. You haven't even mentioned Syndergaard or Harvey good luck hitting those guys as well. It's going to be a great series and of course I believe my Metsies can take it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
All we heard though the regular season, the NLDS, and the NLCS is how the Mets have zero chance. Look at where they are now.

Beckx

Royals got better defensive Metrics but the Mets have been solid as of late.

Just asking because if you go back to Nate Silver's "Why Billy Beane's Shit Doesn't Work in the Playoffs" the three stats that have the greatest correlation to WS success are strikeout rate, Closer WXRL, and FRAA. (though luck is the predominant factor).

-------------------

Speaking of strikeout rate, Rob Arthur explaining that quality fastballs are the Cubs' Kryptonite. (emphasis on quality, see: Cole unable to locate his fastballs in the Wild Card. :/)

zroid

Banned
if the finishing blows are exacted today, then godspeed to KC and NY

when the top 4 teams all have a championship drought of 22+ years, it's been a good season for everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom