• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billeh

Meh. Everyone shit on it at the ground rule ivy point.
CC0jgbDWYAAv27e.png

I remember losing a game early on to this. Runners couldn't score.

Beckx

Some cities dont throw billions at a new stadium when half of the city is in poverty or known for being one of the most racist cities in the US.

Is that the city or the owners haven't pulled the threaten to move card? I agree new stadiums are a scam on the people but I'm just skeptical that this case is due to the efforts of upstanding Chicago politicians. Don't really know, though.

billeh

Is that the city or the owners haven't pulled the threaten to move card? I agree new stadiums are a scam on the people but I'm just skeptical that this case is due to the efforts of upstanding Chicago politicians. Don't really know, though.
The ownership WANTS to preserve it. There's just red tape from messing with a landmark, plus appeasing the surrounding neighborhood. The past years have seen a lot of effort going into a ton of much needed repairs.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/restore-wrigley/

Some cities dont throw billions at a new stadium when half of the city is in poverty or known for being one of the most racist cities in the US.

Think it's totally a dumb idea for Stl to spend a cent of public money on a shitty football team (especially when the owner wants to leave anyway)

Doesn't make Wrigley less of a dump (but again, I understand why it's there)

J2 Cool

Think it's totally a dumb idea for Stl to spend a cent of public money on a shitty football team (especially when the owner wants to leave anyway)

Do you really think winning in a new stadium vs winning at Wrigley is at all the same? Its a great atmosphere.

Beckx

The ownership WANTS to preserve it. There's just red tape from messing with a landmark, plus appeasing the surrounding neighborhood. The past years have seen a lot of effort going into a ton of much needed repairs.

I think you misunderstood my post. To be fair it was horribly written. I was suggesting that the reason Chicago (the city) hasn't spent money to build a new stadium is because the Cubs owners have never threatened to leave if they didn't get one. Not because the city wanted to protect the citzens.

zulux21

they don't build a new stadium because the fans would vanish.

you don't go to Wrigley to root for the cubs, you go for the history and the beer.

the place is horrid smelling and falling apart if it wasn't for the history it would have been gone long ago.

that and the fans tend to riot every time a new stadium is even mentioned. Players don't need warm showers or safe to drink water (so many of the pipes are rusted through they either don't work or aren't safe to use) as it's part of history :p

They do at least do a decent job of keeping it looking decent for tv. but unless you have nice seats actually being there is bad. There are pillars blocking your view everywhere, and the smell of spilled beer and urine is just a permanent smell you get to sit through for a game.

why wouldn't you want to save yourself money and preserve a dump knowing full well a new stadium will cost you fans not get you more :p?

they don't build a new stadium because the fans would vanish.

you don't go to Wrigley to root for the cubs, you go for the history and the beer.

the place is horrid smelling and falling apart if it wasn't for the history it would have been gone long ago.

that and the fans tend to riot every time a new stadium is even mentioned. Players don't need warm showers or safe to drink water (so many of the pipes are rusted through they either don't work or aren't safe to use) as it's part of history :p

They do at least do a decent job of keeping it looking decent for tv. but unless you have nice seats actually being there is bad. There are pillars blocking your view everywhere, and the smell of spilled beer and urine is just a permanent smell you get to sit through for a game.

Man, and people wonder why the Cubs haven't won in so long...

I'd be pissed if I had to play on a team that didn't have working showers.

How have the players not collectively said anything?

Edit: LOL @ MURPH and the Yankees mention.

zulux21

Man, and people wonder why the Cubs haven't won in so long...

I'd be pissed if I had to play on a team that didn't have working showers.

to be fair they may have fixed it by now, and I think it was only the visitor's showers that were nearly unusable. This was back about 10 years ago when a number of players started talking about the horrid state of Wrigley.

minx

I didn't realize Wrigley was THAT bad off.

I went there plenty of times this year. No smells beer or urine. He is grossly exaggerating. Only a handful of seats are blocked by pillars. Pro tip.... Don't buy those seats. Clubhouse is being upgraded along with other much needed amenities for the players.

Time to get urinals at wrigley. No one likes pissing in the tin troughs. Release the curse.

Wrigley also has urinals.

to be fair they may have fixed it by now, and I think it was only the visitor's showers that were nearly unusable. This was back about 10 years ago when a number of players started talking about the horrid state of Wrigley.

Still, its lame to hide behind tradition to not offer an updated facility, at least inside the park.

zulux21

I didn't realize Wrigley was THAT bad off.

they have made improvements over the last so many years, it's in better shape now than it used to be but it was really bad in the mid 2000s.

I mean you had parts of the building falling down

their big solution was to put up netting lol

I went there plenty of times this year. No smells beer or urine. He is grossly exaggerating. Only a handful of seats are blocked by pillars. Pro tip.... Don't buy those seats. Clubhouse is being upgraded along with other much needed amenities for the players.

Wrigley also has urinals.

as i said it may have gotten better, but between 1995 and 2005 when I went to a number of cubs games it was always the same, it smelled horrid of beer and urine. (note I don't drink nor enjoy beer and don't like the smell of it so it really stands out to me.)

and if 10% or so of the lower level being blocked in some way is just a handful... well to each their own, but there are a ton of pillars, and when you do group buys for birthday parties at least one of them will end up completely behind a pillar :/

zychi

Banned

I dont live in stl, or follow its politics, so maybe this changed, but it made it to me via a college buddy from stl.

http://m.stltoday.com/sports/baseba...5f52-aa30-9f05e6040265.html?mobile_touch=true

Cant pay firemen, give baseball team money, baseball team fucks city over.

#cardinalway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom