• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian viewers don't count for the US networks but the Jays/Rangers Game 5 drew an average of 4.85 million viewers in Canada with a peak of 8.1 million at one point. Pretty nuts.

Largest audience for anything in the network's history apparently -- including hockey.

No way...

Well, this will compel another team to move to Canada.

Loria's gonna do it.

Dodgers supposedly giving Gabe Kapler strong consideration for the managerial position. First manager to look better in a uniform than 90% of his players?

Sanjuro

Dodgers supposedly giving Gabe Kapler strong consideration for the managerial position. First manager to look better in a uniform than 90% of his players?

kDGY1FX.jpg

Do I start Crawford?

It absolutely ups the chances of someone like Bell putting a package together for Montreal.

TSN must be hurting without Blue Jays baseball and most of the NHL.
How is TSN still in business? CFL? Motorsports? I am surprised the big guys like Mackenzie and Dreger and Dufie have not jumped ship or been poached by Rogers by now.

Bell should just give up and sell it to Rogers.

It absolutely ups the chances of someone like Bell putting a package together for Montreal.

TSN must be hurting without Blue Jays baseball and most of the NHL.

Mainly NHL. Blue Jays doing well certainly was huge for ratings but if they tank that will die down a lot in the years ahead.

A Montreal Team with actual legit ownership would be great, but I think that's a total no-go unless somebody builds a new stadium first (or heavily retrofits Olympic Stadium). The Stadium we have now is rapidly deteriorating and the government right now is deciding whether to replace the roof or remove it entirely (a new one would be probably 300m)

I'd like to see the Expos back but I rather see a New Canadian Team.

Maybe somewhere in Ottawa or Vancouver?

Does the Canadian cities have money to subsidize a new stadium buildout and accommodate an interested team?

Because you do not want the Marlins. Loria is going to fuck the cities just like he fucked over Miami.

Does the Canadian cities have money to subsidize a new stadium buildout and accommodate an interested team?

Becausr you do not want the Marlins. Loria is going to fuck the cities just like he fucked over Miami.

Since Loria is the guy who sold the Expos I'm pretty sure he's not welcome back.

And no, Canadian Cities are fighting pretty violently against public money for NHL hockey arenas so I'm pretty sure they won't pay up anything for baseball. The only way in is through the big corporations (Rogers, Quebecor, etc) that can build things themselves.

Parch

Mainly NHL. Blue Jays doing well certainly was huge for ratings but if they tank that will die down a lot in the years ahead.
Blue Jay baseball has consistently got good ratings throughout the years. Next to hockey, it's what the networks fight for.

They could play baseball in Vancouver in the existing stadium. It can be configured for MLB baseball. They've had exhibition games in there. I'm not sure if MLB would consider it up to major league standards, and I doubt there would be ownership interest or enough fan interest to support a team long term.
It would be interesting to see Vancouver have a go at it.

Becausr you do not want the Marlins. Loria is going to fuck the cities just like he fucked over Miami.

I think the Rays are the more likely team to move to Canada. I think they are still trying to negotiate building a new stadium in Tampa Bay, but if that doesn't get done, I expect them to be gone within the next few seasons.

Loria is not even remotely interested in selling the team, because it's easy money for him. He basically makes enough money to cover the payroll just off shared revenue and the Fox Sports Florida television deal. Tickets, merchandise sales, concessions, etc. are essentially profit for him.

I also wont tolerate any badmouthing of Bobby V, the man's a saint.

Bobby_Valentine_Fake_Mustache-230x172.jpg

How can you not like a guy who does something like that?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/657542881071243264

Mets' World Series starting rotation order will be deGrom, Syndergaard, Harvey, Matz.

Actually, there were reports that the Rays are considering moving to Montreal because of the troubles they've had building a new ballpark in Tampa/St. Pete.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2014/10/25...rg-has-discussed-moving-the-team-to-montreal/

I don't really know much on what happened with the Expos, but why does a city who failed to support a franchise once deserve to get another franchise? Like the Nordiques in the NHL and Quebec wanting another hockey team, now Montreal wanting a MLB team again? Two failed sports teams in the same province.

I am uneducated on the circumstances behind the Nordiques and Expos so someone can enlighten me. But I think if it was lack of fan support that did those teams in then there are other cities that deserve a look more.

I don't really know much on what happened with the Expos, but why does a city who failed to support a franchise once deserve to get another franchise? Like the Nordiques in the NHL and Quebec wanting another hockey team, now Montreal wanting a MLB team again? Two failed sports teams in the same province.

I am uneducated on the circumstances behind the Nordiques and Expos so someone can enlighten me. But I think if it was lack of fan support that did those teams in then there are other cities that deserve a look more.

The Expos were not lacking fan support, their owner just wanted to make more money.

BR hit piece on Jeff Loria.

The Expos were not lacking fan support, their owner just wanted to make more money.

Yep, that's a great piece.

For the Nordiques (NHL), Quebec City is the smallest NHL market, and the only smaller pro sports town I believe is Green Bay.

Like the Expos they had a loaded team (winning the stanley cup immediately after moving) but the lockout and falling dollar absolutely killed the owner's ability to run hockey ops (and this wasn't corporate ownership, but rather a low tier private owner as the Nordiques were a merger team). They couldn't get a new arena, whereas now they have the backing of a multi-billion dollar corporation with a pre-built, NHL level arena.

Blue Jay baseball has consistently got good ratings throughout the years. Next to hockey, it's what the networks fight for.

They could play baseball in Vancouver in the existing stadium. It can be configured for MLB baseball. They've had exhibition games in there. I'm not sure if MLB would consider it up to major league standards, and I doubt there would be ownership interest or enough fan interest to support a team long term.
It would be interesting to see Vancouver have a go at it.

Vancouver's existing stadium? Which one is that? BC Place? It can be configured for baseball?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Not all teams move due to lack of support. Alot of times it's just owners trying to get more money or a new stadium from a city that is willing to overpay. Sac Kings were a recent example of this.

Loria wanted to buy the Florida Marlins, which was then owned by John Henry, who wanted to buy the Boston Red Sox.

With a little sleight-of-hand, a lot of money, and a few winks from Major League Baseball, Henry bought the Red Sox, Loria bought the Marlins, and the other 29 owners bought the Montreal Expos for $120 million.

Did you follow that?

Loria brought from Montreal to Miami the team's computers, all the equipment that didn't have an Expos logo (and a few that did), office equipment, all of the team's scouting reports, and other proprietary information.

But he didn't stop there.

Loria also took the team manager and the entire coaching staff.

What he left behind was a team headed for contraction.

I wanna punch this guy in the dick. I know who he is and always hear the worst of him but did not know the story behind the Expos. Really sad. Fuck him and Selig.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ojp5FJn.jpg

Juan Uribe taking BP at Citi Field.

Man would he be a huge boost to the Mets lineup if he can play in the WS.

I wanna punch this guy in the dick. I know who he is and always hear the worst of him but did not know the story behind the Expos. Really sad. Fuck him and Selig.

Yeah. The (NBA) Grizzlies, (NBA) Sonics and (NHL) Nordiques have bad stories but Expos are probably the worst. The weirdest thing to me is that the Expos Mascot moved to the NHL and has been the Canadiens mascot for awhile instead.

He's not just fucking over Montreal from ever owning another team again, he royally fucked over Florida taxpayers for subsidizing the costs to build that tacky ass stadium over in Miami.

Went by there over the summer and there's no nearby business development AND the area surrounding the park is residential! Imagine having to live in an area where ballgames are being played 3/4s of the year and drunk people are stumbling through the neighborhood.

Overall, Loria is a scumbag and I'm frankly surprised he's still breathing. He is universally loathed.

He and his right hand man David Samson also conned the taxpayers in Miami out of millions of dollars when they built the new stadium a few years ago. He claimed he was too poor to build the stadium, when it was later revealed that the Marlins are one of the more profitable teams in baseball. Yeah that $3+ million dollars ugly home run statue in centerfield was paid for by taxpayers.

Long story short, he is a giant scumbag and worst owner in professional sports.

Edit: I took too long to tone down my rant and got beaten lol

He and his right hand man David Samson also conned the taxpayers in Miami out of millions of dollars when they built the new stadium a few years ago. He claimed he was too poor to build the stadium, when it was later revealed that the Marlins are one of the more profitable teams in baseball. Yeah that $3+ million dollars ugly home run statue in centerfield was paid for by taxpayers.

I'm sorry you're stuck with him man, really, bottom-5 owner in all of sports easily. The only thing keeping him from being the bottom is the Dolan's.

I genuinely feel for the residents, they feel it the most.

No businesses are springing up near the park.

Driving through the area, it feels deserted. You see nothing but homes for blocks and then the ugly ass stadium just plopped in the middle.

Alucard

Banned
Guys, look at it this way...the Jays are only a 2-game winning streak away from going to the World Series. Totally doable. Getting more excited!

Two hours away and the nerves are kicking in. I hope KC can get to Price like last time. Seems a bit much to ask Price to go on a seven game losing streak in the playoffs, though.

In Yordano we trust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom