• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Wait Mattingly turned the Dodgers down? They were thinking about bringing him back?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/25349312/sources-mattingly-dodgers-part-ways

CHICAGO -- Don Mattingly and the Dodgers will part ways, sources tell CBS Sports.

The decision is being described as mutual.

Dodgers higher-ups like Mattingly very much, but it was apparent there wasn't support for the long-term. Word is Mattingly felt he was treated very well by baseball president Andrew Friedman and others, but the sides ultimately decided it was better to move on.

An announcement is expected later Thursday.

Beckx

Seriously? At the end of the day, every player cares about winning a ring.

Yes but you can't fault anyone if they decide they'd rather have the cash.

I wonder if the Dodgers will consider hiring anyone with managerial experience? If not maybe some more 80s Yankees are available. Hire Steve Sax, he wore both unis!

Caja 117

Congrats to Mets-GAF, respect, this is a team that have gone trough a lot this season, from everyone counting them out, to the Flores trade drama, to what happened in game two against the Dodgers, and especially about David Wright one of the nice guys in the sport, someone that a lot of people had him retiring because of his condition, but seen him fight to come back and lead his team is really a feel god story this season.Congrats!

About the Royals-Jays, I only can strees this out, Royals cant let this go to a game 7, I feel that if there is a game 7, Royals are going to be eliminated, as the pressure is going to be on them to win.

Yes but you can't fault anyone if they decide they'd rather have the cash.

I wonder if the Dodgers will consider hiring anyone with managerial experience? If not maybe some more 80s Yankees are available. Hire Steve Sax, he wore both unis!

Good point, there's always Albert Haynesworth as Exhibit A.

Blue Jays WS tickets just went on sale and it's saying there are none available right out of the gate.

:(

Okay. Now it's a ridiculously long waiting period, as usual.

I watched that Wright postgame interview he gave to Sam Ryan, then went back to a few of them...

Why does David Wright speak so indirectly and awkwardly?

"This team" "This City" "This fanbase" "The emotions I am feeling..."

Nationals. You gotta believe

It would be funny if they hired him, considering they fired Matt Williams for making questionable in game decisions, and Mattingly makes plenty bad in game decisions.

I don't exactly want Mattingly, but he is one of the "better" options out there. If the Marlins don't hire him, they will probably hire Larry Bowa, which would be just awful.

Beckx

It would be funny if they hired him, considering they fired Matt Williams for making questionable in game decisions, and Mattingly makes plenty bad in game decisions.

I don't exactly want Mattingly, but he is one of the "better" options out there. If the Marlins don't hire him, they will probably hire Larry Bowa, which would be just awful.

I mean there are tons of guys out there who have talent and should be given a shot to manage. Julio Franco can't get even an interview to be a coach in the US. (I'm definitely not saying a team should put him in the MLB manager slot immediately but it's just indicative of the problem.)

I mean there are tons of guys out there who have talent and should be given a shot to manage. Julio Franco can't get even an interview to be a coach in the US. (I'm definitely not saying a team should put him in the MLB manager slot immediately but it's just indicative of the problem.)

At any level or at the MLB level?

Because I'm sure there are plenty of farm teams that will accommodate a new coach.

zroid

Banned
What's amazing about that controversial ball 4 to Bautista yesterday is that pitches in that location are called strikes 47% of the time. So basically it's the perfect borderline pitch. You could argue that was a significant turning point in the game, and it came down to a literal 50/50 decision. Baseball is weird.

What's amazing about that controversial ball 4 to Bautista yesterday is that pitches in that location are called strikes 47% of the time. So basically it's the perfect borderline pitch. You could argue that was a significant turning point in the game, and it came down to a literal 50/50 decision. Baseball is weird.

A robot ump would have exploded.

I agree. Unfortunately the Marlins are not a very forward thinking team and are going to hire an old school manager with a fair amount of managerial experience, such as Mattingly or Larry Bowa.

And that is a damn crime that Julio Franco can't get an interview for at least a bench coach.

Beckx

At any level or at the MLB level?

Because I'm sure there are plenty of farm teams that will accommodate a new coach.

In an interview over the summer he said he couldn't get an interview at any level (he didn't get very specific about what he applied for). He spent the season managing an Independent league team in Japan and now is moving over to manage a KBO team in Korea.

I watched that Wright postgame interview he gave to Sam Ryan, then went back to a few of them...

Why does David Wright speak so indirectly and awkwardly?

"This team" "This City" "This fanbase" "The emotions I am feeling..."

It's a combination of cheesy sports interviews and an attempt to look humble. He probably is a humble guy. He seems to get along with everyone except for the gays.

It's a combination of cheesy sports interviews and an attempt to look humble. He probably is a humble guy. He seems to get along with everyone except for the gays.

????

David Wright is one of the most politically correct guys in sports.

I cant recall a single ounce of controversy coming from him.

Daniel Murphy, yeah, but D Wright is as clean cut all-American as you can get(save for Jeter).

In an interview over the summer he said he couldn't get an interview at any level (he didn't get very specific about what he applied for). He spent the season managing an Independent league team in Japan and now is moving over to manage a KBO team in Korea.

That sucks. Franco would make a decent hitting coach.

If Manny Ramirez could become a hitting coach...

I meant Murphy. Damn, poor David Wright.

If you are reading this, David, and I know you are, I'M SORRY! I misjudged you the same way Daniel Murphy misjudges gay people.

The Dodgers offered Mattingly a 2-year extension, but he declined. When he declined, the Dodgers removed him as manager. He was still under contract for one more season.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain to me why there still needs to be an umpire behind the plate to call strikes and balls if there is technology that tracks the position of the ball when it passes the plate? Is that not more accurate than an umpire's discretion?

Beckx

Can someone explain to me why there still needs to be an umpire behind the plate to call strikes and balls if there is technology that tracks the position of the ball when it passes the plate? Is that not more accurate than an umpire's discretion?

You still need a home base ump for other tasks, like calling safe/out on plays at the plate, etc.

Good luck getting the ownership to put in roboumps for balls/strikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom