• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmm... that actually looks pretty good.

The ump's strikezone was slightly bigger than the box in the picture. Taking that into account, Arrieta didn't get any extra calls outside the strikezone. All of Arrieta's called strikes are closer to the box than all of Cole's balls... which means the zone is consistent. In fact, the farthest away called strike (and the only one that is borderline inconsistent) was one of Cole's.

The only bad calls from the ump were 2 balls for Cole and 1 for Arrieta inside the zone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That's not true. A team could have one ace, and an ass juice 2-5 behind him - and win a one game wild card handedly. Doesn't mean they're the better team, simply that they have a lights out Ace and are well suited for such a format. Baseball is probably the worst sport to have a do or die game decide something so pivotal.

I'd rather they just go back to the 1994-2012 format.

The team had fucking 98 wins. They're division winners in any other division in baseball Lol. Yeah - they could have won more games, but that's true of any team in baseball.

The Bucs had a shot at the the Cardinals down the stretch and choked. So yeah, win the fucking division.

Caja 117

The other team should get a better ace then.

And what if the Team that lost lost having the best Ace? Because it can happen, then what other excuse? Or what if the unmpire have a strike zone that favors Batters?

yes, it does. The team that scores more runs the opponent is the better team, and you cannot argue otherwise.

So the Red Sox are a better team than the Jays... what a weird and wrong statement made for baseball.

This is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated without justification. Because I can make a stronger case for it be true in basketball or hockey. jpg

These team sports are multi playof games for a good reason, one game between two teams is not enough to really tell the best team, why you think these sports uses a "minimum attemps permited to qualify for stats"?

harSon

Banned
The other team should get a better ace then.

Yes, it does. The team that scores more runs the opponent is the better team, and you cannot argue otherwise.

This is a fallacy that keeps getting repeated without justification. Because I can make a stronger case for it be true in basketball or hockey.

I would love for you to make a stronger case for basketball or hockey, please do. There's so many damn variables in baseball that simply do not exist in either of those sports. There's no hitter friendly, pitcher friendly and neutral parks. There's no left handed vs. right handed match ups. The list goes on and on. Baseball has infinitely more variables and is infinitely more random than any sport out there. Think about how many 2-1 series are there in the regular season.

The Bucs had a shot at the the Cardinals down the stretch and choked. So yeah, win the fucking division.

We could have, but that chance went out the window when a certain team drop kicked our second best hitter in the knee. And not only did we miss his offense, but his absense made our interior defense infinitely worst (or sure up the defense with someone like Florimon or Rodriguez, at the expense of having a massive void in your offensive capabilities. You can fault us for lacking depth at the position, which is certainly true, but it is what it is. There's a pretty apparent drop off in our play (8 game winning streak prior to the injury, rolling over the Dodgers and the Cubs) after that exact point. Not everyone can have player after player in A ball that can come up and bat .300 or throw a gem like the freaking Cardinals -_-

Don't put yourself in the position to play in a one-game playoff. Win the fucking division.

The people who don't like the 1-game playoff are the same people who don't think winning the division is all-important.

That includes me. The Pirates were clearly more impressive than the Mets and Dodgers. They played a harder schedule, they won way more, and they won way more against good teams. Other than mysticism about divisions, there is no reason the Pirates should be "punished" with a 1-game playoff.

At the same time, I don't think a 3-game playoff solves anything, because the playoffs already go too long into the year and any extra time spent on the 3-game playoff would be better spent shortening the playoffs and layoffs.

One option would be reducing the number of divisions, so that the 2nd best record in the league (the Pirates in this case) would never be involved in the 1-game playoff. I don't care much if the lesser teams are forced into such a game, but it sucks that it happened to the Pirates.

Arrieta got calls early but by the middle innings and especially late he got the normal strike zone.

There is no "normal strike zone". Umpires can have a bigger or smaller zone than other umpires. The important thing is being consistent (same strikezone for both pitchers).

The ump in this game was surprisingly consistent. Literally every single one of Arrieta's called strikes outside the box is closer than every single one of Cole's balls outside the box... which means the strike zone was the same for both pitchers.

The mistakes the ump made were 3 balls (2 for Cole, 1 for Arrieta) that were clear strikes inside the box. Calls outside the box were consistent.

So the Red Sox are a better team than the Jays... what a weird and wrong statement made for baseball.
The Blue Jays played in more games where they outscored the opposition than the Red Sox. I have absolutely no clue wtf you're talking about

I would love for you to make a stronger case for basketball or hockey, please do. There's so many damn variables in baseball that simply do not exist in either of those sports. There's no hitter friendly, pitcher friendly and neutral parks. There's no left handed vs. right handed match ups. The list goes on and on. Baseball has infinitely more variables and is infinitely more random than any sport out there. Think about how many 2-1 series are there in the regular season.-

The logical fallacy in your argument is that more variables = more random. This makes no sense. It's the probability attached to those variables that matters, not the amount of variables. Think about it.

Baseball lacks the one variable that makes the better teams victory more certain. There's no game clock.

zroid

Banned
so this happened....

CQxJdHAWIAAn-3m.jpg

These team sports are multi playof games for a good reason, one game between two teams is not enough to really tell the best team

If it was just about finding the best team, the team with the best regular season record would be crowned champs.

It's a tournament. Tournaments are designed to determine the best team over a short period of time. Today, the Cubs were the better team.

I'm honestly starting Hendricks Game 2.

I believe he's pitched a perfect game into the 5th in each of his last 3 starts including against the Royals and he gets ground balls.

If he struggles put in Hammel or Wood.

One game is perfect. Ace vs. Ace. Roster optimized for this one game. If you win your division then you wouldn't worry about the one game. Sorry buccos

You said the team that scores more run is better, Red Sox won games against the jays, which is the better team?

The team that one more games in the regular season. Which is the team that outscored the opposition more times in the regular season. Which won its division. Which didn't have to play in a wild card playoff game.

Caja 117

The team that one more games in the regular season. Which is the team that outscored the opposition more times in the regular season. Which won its division. Which didn't have to play in a wild card playoff game.

Nice goal post moving there. Your original post was simple, you said the best team is the one that score more run, so the rule change depending on the situations you define?

Baseball is a game have a lot of variables that could make the outcome random, one game is the worst indicator to decide which is the better team, is true that even a best of 7 can throw a random winer depending which team is hotter, but the more games played betwen two teams the less random is the result.

Has anyone complained yet about how the Dodgers and Mets should have been the teams in a single elimination game with the winner going on to face the Cardinals?

I'll check back later if that hasn't happened yet. It's bound to.

zychi

Banned
Fucking hell. Got to watch the key parts in between periods at the Hawks game. Through the 8th to the end of the game up on my phone.

Hawks fans around me hate me because I was cheering when Hawks were losing. Whatever Cubs are my #1 team. Fuck yeah Cubbies!

Fucks sake.

Get rid of divisions.

All the 15 teams in the National League play each team equal amount of times so you have fair scheduling. Same thing for the 15 teams in the American League.

The 6 teams with the best record in each league make the playoffs. The better the record of the 6, the better the seeding. Total of 12 teams out of the 30 make the playoffs.

Fucking.shit.is.settled.

End of story. This is how it should be done. None of this division nonsense and unfair schedules. All teams of a league play the other teams equal amount of time. And this is also gets rid of this wildcard one game playoff nonsense.

Fucks sake.

Get rid of divisions.

All the 15 teams in the National League play each team equal amount of times so you have fair scheduling. Same thing for the 15 teams in the American League.

The 6 teams with the best record in each league make the playoffs. The better the record of the 6, the better the seeding. Total of 12 teams out of the 30 make the playoffs.

Fucking.shit.is.settled.

End of story. This is how it should be done. None of this division nonsense and unfair schedules. All teams of a league play the other teams equal amount of time. And this is also gets rid of this wildcard one game playoff nonsense.

Try to get the union to agree to all that extra travel.

The balanced schedule where every team plays each team the same amount of times is something they used to do before Selig re-did the divisions in 1994.

You can also design the road trips in which long plane trips are minimized. The order of how you play the other teams isn't important, it's making sure you just play all other 14 teams equally.

zychi

Banned
Fucks sake.

Get rid of divisions.

Fucking.shit.is.settled.

Pirates fan or Yanks fan?

Branduil

Fucks sake.

Get rid of divisions.

Fucking.shit.is.settled.

While we're at it, add a team to each league so there doesn't need to be interleague every day.

UberTag

Pirates fan or Yanks fan?
He's got a legit gripe if he's a Pirates fan. They had the 2nd best record in baseball this season and are done after losing a single game.
And had they won said game their prize would have been facing the team with the best record in baseball.

He doesn't have a legit gripe if he's a Yankees fan. They sucked regardless.

If the Cubs win the world series after the curse and BttF2...I'll be in utter disbelief.
I'm a Canadian and I'm cheering for the Cubbies. Probably even over the Jays.

All these Mets fans like "please let me keep my weak ass division where 90 wins gets you a 7 game lead" :lol

Can you imagine the Cards, Pirates, or Cubs in the NL East? As easy as 100 wins gets, probably

thefro

He's got a legit gripe if he's a Pirates fan. They had the 2nd best record in baseball this season and are done after losing a single game.
And had they won said game their prize would have been facing the team with the best record in baseball.

Yeah it sucks for the Pirates and would have sucked for the Cubs if they would have lost last night. If you went Best of 3 you'd wreck your pitching staff going into the NLDS though.

What I would do is that the team with the best record in the league gets to pick whether they want to play the WC game winner or the team with the worst record (if the WC winner has a better record than one of the division winners).

bebop242

I'm kinda surprised not many people are talking about Arrieta casually stealing 2nd after getting HBP. I was laughing so hard at that live, he just sauntered over there while nobody on the field reacted.

It didn't result in a run so I guess it doesn't really matter. Just a funny moment.

I laughed pretty good at that. Wanna give me first base? Well I'll just go ahead and take 2.

wbsmcs

So hyped for today. I know this is almost irrelevant but lolToronto Sports..the last time a Toronto team won the first game of a playoff series was 2003 when they Leafs beat the Flyers in the ECQF..still went on to lose the series. Since then there's been 7 straight series involving the Raptors and Leafs where they lost the first game. Looking good that we win the first one today
hope I don't jynx

I'm still impressed with the Rangers though. After acquiring Hamels it seemed like everyone was saying wait until NEXT year when Darvish and Hamels are healthy. But Hamels quietly put up a 7-1 record with respectable ERA. Should be a fun series.

Jays in 3 while eating turkey on Thanksgiving

Sanjuro

Fucks sake.

Get rid of divisions.

Fucking.shit.is.settled.

That sounds awful.

Glad you aren't around to ruin baseball. I like the old idea of one champ per division, but my horse and buggy is still in the shop.

Talon

Ostensibly a team could have 5 champagne celebrations.

1. Clinching a Playoff Spot.
2. Winning the bullshit game.
3. Winning the Divisional series.
4. Winning the Pennant.
5. Winning the World Series.

Sanjuro

Ostensibly a team could have 5 champagne celebrations.

1. Clinching a Playoff Spot.
2. Winning the bullshit game.
3. Winning the Divisional series.
4. Winning the Pennant.
5. Winning the World Series.

1. Winning Jackie Robinson Day
2. Winning All Star Game
3. Winning a Dominono
4. Winning last game of the season
5. Winning wiener race

Status
Not open for further replies.