• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FPxZ8WK.gif

Lucas Harrel is getting knocked around the KBO. 5.88 era. 23K, 19BB 25IP

Philip "perfect game" Humber isn't doing much better in Korea. Too bad the White Sox couldn't sucker someone to trade for him when he had that good run like they did with Loaiza.

edit: Btw. I watched the Cubs game for an hour yesterday and listening to their booth makes me miss Bob Brenly so much. He and Kasper were just great together, but now it's pretty hard to watch.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I wouldn't even be upset if the Yankees took 2 of 3 this weekend, but it'd be really cool to see the Mets win tonight and set a new franchise winning streak record.

graffix13

Ventura is 23 and a hothead. I love his fire, he just has to check it. It won't happen overnight though. Teams know now just to talk shit on him and he'll respond. I just hope MLB doesn't come down too hard on him.

Also what was Samardzija's problem with Cain?

BFIB

Good series in Washington, Cards head to Milwaukee tonight. Only a matter of time before Milwaukee goes on a tear, despite what their record shows.

Ventura is 23 and a hothead. I love his fire, he just has to check it. It won't happen overnight though. Teams know now just to talk shit on him and he'll respond. I just hope MLB doesn't come down too hard on him.

He is 2-1 with a 4.09 ERA as the Royals' "ace." I think it's a reasonable approach for the other team to get under his skin until he proves he can relax and stay in the game.

As good as the Royals are this year in terms of hitting, defense, and bullpen work, our starting pitcher rotation isn't that hot. We could really use a guy like Big Game James right now. The team is built to win now, so I'll be shocked if they don't try to pick up an additional starter before the deadline. Probably just wishful thinking on my part...

BigAT

Career Earnings: $95,780,000. Ninety five million American dollars!!!

AzmuEaF.png

G9gJGu1.jpg

To be fair, the Mets still pay Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million per year. They are very good stewards with their money.

And that doesn't even include what he earned for doing Kung Fu Hustle.

kung-fu-hustle-le-plus-grand-des-tueurs11_d4ab0c646ad21dcf6e158e4bd402521d.jpg

To be fair, the Mets still pay Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million per year. They are very good stewards with their money.
Yup he's been eating. Does his new contract have any good incentives?

Also I'll take Allen Iverson Reebok contract. $50mil when turning 55? Something like that.

BFIB

AzmuEaF.png

G9gJGu1.jpg

He is going to have a heart attack on the mound, and probably still get the win.

zroid

Banned
LOL apparently the Orioles "considered boycotting" Tuesday's game in Toronto because of the turf

the O's are a joke

graffix13

He is 2-1 with a 4.09 ERA as the Royals' "ace." I think it's a reasonable approach for the other team to get under his skin until he proves he can relax and stay in the game.

As good as the Royals are this year in terms of hitting, defense, and bullpen work, our starting pitcher rotation isn't that hot. We could really use a guy like Big Game James right now. The team is built to win now, so I'll be shocked if they don't try to pick up an additional starter before the deadline. Probably just wishful thinking on my part...

Yeah our rotation is a question mark. Vargas and Guthrie are just....ugh. I'm with you though, I'm looking (wishing) at picking up an arm before the deadline.

I believe it came with two dozen buy one, get one free coupons for Chipotle burritos.

Yeah our rotation is a question mark. Vargas and Guthrie are just....ugh. I'm with you though, I'm looking (wishing) at picking up an arm before the deadline.

Let's call it what it is...our rotation is bad. Maybe average? The two you named give me zero confidence on the mound. I just hope they hold the other team to 3-4 runs to give our bats and bullpen a chance. Volquez is a wildcard, but his career stats aren't good at all. We really need some pitching help. The team is built around reaching the 7th inning within striking range. After that, I'll take our chances against anyone, but you have to get six quality innings from someone.

Remember that time you paid Gil Meche $55 million?

Really? You're comparing an average starter that we vastly overpaid to a dude the Mets are paying $30 million to sit on his ass at home? Haha, nice try!

The Royals never attracted top tier talent, so we have usually needed to overpay to get merely decent pitchers on our staff. I'm shocked that aces weren't flocking to KC when we were in the cellar every year.

rando14

Let's call it what it is...our rotation is bad. Maybe average? The two you named give me zero confidence on the mound. I just hope they hold the other team to 3-4 runs to give our bats and bullpen a chance. Volquez is a wildcard, but his career stats aren't good at all. We really need some pitching help.

Am I missing something here?? "Bad" rotation? KC is 2nd in the AL in ERA at 3.08, only behind HOU (3.00)

I'd LOVE to have your pitching, the chumps on my squad averaging nearly an ERA of 5 ;_;

I have to say that I'm perfectly happy with Volquez so far, though.

Me, too. Other than completely whiffing on his punch last night. :) I'm just looking at his historical stats and think we'll see a consistent 4+ ERA guy over the course of the season.

Am I missing something here?? "Bad" rotation? KC is 2nd in the AL in ERA at 3.08, only behind HOU (3.00)

I'd LOVE to have your pitching, the chumps on my squad averaging nearly an ERA of 5 ;_;

I hear you, but I'm watching the games and it's not so simple. The Royals have an amazing defense. I do mean amazing. The left side of the infield and the entire outfield rob 2-3 base hits per game, no joke. The team has an embarrassment of speed and cover everywhere. Salvador Perez is by far the hardest catcher in the all of baseball to steal on, and it's not even close. The fielding limits hits and our catcher makes stealing a nightmare.

All that to say, the ERA number doesn't reflect stellar pitching. If you look at the advanced stats, like Fielding Independent Pitching, the team has one dude in the top 70 (Volquez). I would gladly swap you 1 to 1 for any of the 2-4 slot guys in the rotation. Your ace is far better than ours, too.

rando14

I hear you, but I'm watching the games and it's not so simple. The Royals have an amazing defense. I do mean amazing. The left side of the infield and the entire outfield rob 2-3 base hits per game, no joke. The team has an embarrassment of speed and cover everywhere. Salvador Perez is by far the hardest catcher in the all of baseball to steal on, and it's not even close. The fielding limits hits and our catcher makes stealing a nightmare.

All that to say, the ERA number doesn't reflect stellar pitching. If you look at the advanced stats, like Fielding Independent Pitching, the team has one dude in the top 70 (Volquez). I would gladly swap you 1 to 1 for any of the 2-4 slot guys in the rotation. Your ace is far better than ours, too.

Dude nice post (no sarcasm)!! I'm looking at Fangraphs, KC and SEA's xFIP are close (3.6x vs 3.8x), however our ERA's are like 1.5 runs apart!! *pukes

Also our babip against is .315 (which should come down I HOPE), and your babip is .255... so yeah, wow, your defense is doing WORK down there. Props!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When I first got into baseball in the 90s, there were a ton of fat baseball players. Then they all got huge and ripped (i.e. steroids). Now I guess the fat player is making a comeback?

When I first got into baseball in the 90s, there were a ton of fat baseball players. Then they all got huge and ripped (i.e. steroids). Now I guess the fat player is making a comeback?

Bring back Mo Vaughn.

AzmuEaF.png

G9gJGu1.jpg

Fuck you Madoff.

I'm glad they are forced to be money strapped. They have to put a better product out on the field now instead of leading people to mediocrity.

I want to see fat Anthony Rizzo as he will be able to get hit by a pitch 75% of the time.

Dan Vogelbach(in the Cubs system) is pretty beefy as well.

Vogelbach_l6kqjt17_d7q20kiz.jpg

Parch

Ventura gonna get people hurt. He needs to check himself
KC leading the league in ejections isn't helping their team.
Get a grip, Ventura. Supposedly he gets fired up to motivate himself, but I hope he doesn't expect to chirp at players and expect nothing to come from it.

Parch

Wasn't it Sabathia who said he intentionally gained back some weight because they felt it would help with his seasonal endurance and lessen the chance for injury.

If you're expected to be a workhorse in the rotation, you gotta eat like one.

Guess I missed all the action last night.
Wow what the hell happened to KC?? They used to be such a likable team...

Winning the pennant last year gave them balls. I like it.

KC is going to hopefully remain a legit contender for the next couple of years.

Also to be fair, 16 HBP this early in the season isn't a coincidence.

Dude nice post (no sarcasm)!! I'm looking at Fangraphs, KC and SEA's xFIP are close (3.6x vs 3.8x), however our ERA's are like 1.5 runs apart!! *pukes

Also our babip against is .315 (which should come down I HOPE), and your babip is .255... so yeah, wow, your defense is doing WORK down there. Props!!

The defense is such a pleasure to watch. Last season, we had 4 of the top 20 guys in the league in terms of defensive WAR. That's...wild. Even more crazy is that Lorenzo Cain, arguably the best defensive center fielder in the game, is probably not even the best center fielder on our team. I know that doesn't even make sense, but it's true. When the team would replace Aoki late in games last year, there was a reason they'd put Dyson at center and shift Cain over to right. Dyson doesn't hit remotely as well as Cain, so his opportunities are few and far between, but he is a defensive god.

For the record, Cain not getting a Gold Glove last year was ludicrous. Ludicrous. BUT, in a twisted way, it sort of makes sense when there is a better defensive option riding the bench on the same team.

Why didn't Seattle run the ball?

image.php

Guess I missed all the action last night.
Wow what the hell happened to KC?? They used to be such a likable team...

I honestly can't tell if these posts are serious at this point. I have to assume not, but you never know. If you've watched the team at all this year, you know exactly what's going down. Other teams are hitting their batters at a crazy rate. Lawrie did a dirty slide and hurt their SS. Lots of shit talking on both sides. The Royals know they are good now and refuse to back down from anything. They have a hot head pitcher who needs to relax a bit. It's not rocket science...

I honestly can't tell if these posts are serious at this point. I have to assume not, but you never know. If you've watched the team at all this year, you know exactly what's going down. Other teams are hitting their batters at a crazy rate. Lawrie did a dirty slide and hurt their SS. Lots of shit talking on both sides. The Royals know they are good now and refuse to back down from anything. They have a hot head pitcher who needs to relax a bit. It's not rocket science...
It was more of a rhetorical question really. But yeah, lots of passion in the game so far...I like it.

Eaton commented on the incident:

"They are a young group of guys who go about their business in an exciting and aggressive way. And that's why we have the utmost respect for them," Eaton said.

"They've earned everything they've gotten and now they want to keep it. You don't expect anything less. Again, when you are good and you go out there and compete, people want to be where you are. What happened, two competitive teams scratching for the same goal. Sometimes it gets the best of you. Ventura is a heck of a competitor. I respect the heck out of him and everyone behind him. I'm a competitor, as well. Sometimes boys will be boys and I think that was a situation where we had some excitement."
Article

I think he let his emotions get the best of him and probably said something very stupid to Ventura, but I can't fault him. Ventura was motioning toward him so I get his reaponse.

I like this. Class act.

Top Bottom