• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

I would walk Abreu leading off the inning. Laroche, Garcia and Beckham due up next should be easy even with a man on first.

edit: LaRoche with the sombrero. Ballgame.

Shark's gotta get the longer suspension. Dude went right after Cain.

Probably why he was so chill about the brawl. Things like that stop being tough and edgy and just get punkish past a certain age I imagine.

Pretty much.

Twitter's been entertaining tonight. Bauer in mid season form.

RpABSC0.jpg

Y8ACsIt.jpg

These Royals announcers..."SWEET!" Stop talking trash, you are embarrassing our city and organization. Or something.

What are you, 80?

SF Giants proving they are a classless organization and bringing great shame to their city and fan base. I'm an expert on baseball culture, I would know.

Good game from the White Sox tonight. This should be a fun series.

What are you, 80?

Nope, just merrily repeating your gibberish from earlier.

zulux21

SF Giants proving they are a classless organization and bringing great shame to their city and fan base. I'm an expert on baseball culture, I would know.

Good game from the White Sox tonight. This should be a fun series.

even though it was a loss it was indeed a good game, though it would have been better if the WS could have done something with RISP.

so.... what inning does someone get hit tomorrow?
and which team will hit someone else first?

even though it was a loss it was indeed a good game, though it would have been better if the WS could have done something with RISP.

so.... what inning does someone get hit tomorrow?
and which team will hit someone else first?

First pitch. Let's mutually embarrass our cities from the get go!

Good game from the White Sox tonight.

What? The pitching was stellar, but the hitting was laughable. Nobody hit the ball hard except for Abreu. Bad AB's, chasing balls in hitters counts. Madson and Morales are trash, they threw nothing but meatballs but the lack of any hitting approoach let them off the hook.

I know LaRoche is a notoriously slow starter but geez that K-rate is just brutal.

edit: I liked Ventura's changeup a lot. I don't recall him throwing it very often. But it looked really good.

What? The pitching was stellar, but the hitting was laughable. Nobody hit the ball hard except for Abreu. Bad AB's, chasing balls in hitters counts. Madson and Morales are trash, they threw nothing but meatballs but the lack of any hitting approoach let them off the hook.

I know LaRoche is a notoriously slow starter but geez that K-rate is just brutal.

Yeah, I'm taking about the pitching battle going on. Even your pen looked good.

Uh. Yeah, dude. Also why I repeated your nonsense. Guess it was hard to pick up.

ElsaLetitGo.jpg

You got called out on an idiotic post. You tried to flip it and came up short. It's okay to take your L and move on. You'll have your day in the sun soon enough!

JDHarbs

Brawl aside, it was a good game. Can't argue with free baseball. Best record in the A.L. now and 2nd best in MLB. Bullpen has given up 3 runs in 52 1/3 innings so far this season, and the offense has been a drastic improvement over last year. Ventura can't handle his emotions, but this team is not a bunch of thugs despite what I expect news outlets to say for the next week or so. Their young, and being forced to handle something they haven't dealt with before. Now they've got to grow up quick before things get worse because their image is getting bashed for it so far.

zulux21

Yeah, I'm taking about the pitching battle going on. Even your pen looked good.

the white sox bullpen should actually be pretty darn good this year.
last year it looked bad numbers wise but by the end of the year they had found a couple of players who were actually pretty darn good.
they got a number of players to fill the holes and made a bullpen that is quite capable of locking things down, they haven't started off great though.

I'm not to worried about the white sox at this point. .500 for april is what I was hoping and they have a chance to do that still. it just makes things look a little bad since the tigers and KC both have started off hot. by the end of may I expect all 3 teams to be near each other record wise.

Brawl aside, it was a good game. Can't argue with free baseball. Best record in the A.L. now and 2nd best in MLB. Bullpen has given up 3 runs in 52 1/3 innings so far this season, and the offense has been a drastic improvement over last year. Ventura can't handle his emotions, but this team is not a bunch of thugs despite what I expect news outlets to say for the next week or so. Their young, and being forced to handle something they haven't dealt with before. Now they've got to grow up quick before things get worse because their image is getting bashed for it so far.

has there actually been anyone else that has been a thug? any time I look at KC getting any sort of bad press it's always ventura standing front in center in it.

#RoyalsEmbarrassingKansasCity
#HBPEqualsFreeBase
#GetWellSoonAlexRios

the white sox bullpen should actually be pretty darn good this year.
last year it looked bad numbers wise but by the end of the year they had found a couple of players who were actually pretty darn good.
they got a number of players to fill the holes and made a bullpen that is quite capable of locking things down, they haven't started off great though.

I'm not to worried about the white sox at this point. .500 for april is what I was hoping and they have a chance to do that still. it just makes things look a little bad since the tigers and KC both have started off hot. by the end of may I expect all 3 teams to be near each other record wise.

Yeah, the pen should actually be an asset.Jennings looks like a nice find by Hahn and he only had to give up Rienzo(WTF Marlins?)
The top 3 in the rotation are really good with Rodon getting in there at some point.
But the offense worries me. They obvioulsy will heat up at some point but you can't dig yourself too big of a hole early.

edit: They are what they are on defense though, a bad defensive team with a really good shortstop and center fielder.
Bad defense cost them the game tonight. A semi capable right fielder takes a much better angle and there is no way even Dyson is able to score.

JDHarbs

has there actually been anyone else that has been a thug? any time I look at KC getting any sort of bad press it's always ventura standing front in center in it.
We've had our share of retaliation-based HBPs from other pitchers besides Ventura. Herrera was one who got ejected for it recently. Ventura has been the worst case, but every ejection has added to the issue. News outlets only look at stats for proof and Baseball Tonight just put the Royals at no. 1 by far for most ejections this year. That plus seeing Ventura's footage is all some people need to label a team.

Cormano

Man, I feel proud and ashamed of my Royals at the same time. Yordano is such a great pitcher and watching him dig his own grade is quite painful, he needs to get his shit together and be a little more mature.

Saw this on my twitter feed.

CDVH90vVEAA8RWO.jpg:large

All of these guys really crowd the plate though. If you throw one just a little bit inside and up there is a good chance to hit them. Tough luck.

Edit: People have been suggesting that Sale hit Moustakas on purpose. That is just crazy talk. Ventura didn't throw at Abreu either.

I just wanna say: I love you Yordano, but come on. It's gotta stop.

That being said, I wonder what Ned Yost is saying about the events of the past week and a half privately?

JDHarbs

All of these guys really crowd the plate though. If you throw one just a little bit inside and up there is a good chance to hit them. Tough luck.

Edit: People have been suggesting that Sale hit Moustakas on purpose. That is just crazy talk. Ventura didn't throw at Abreu either.
Then they would have high HBP numbers like this every year which they don't. It might just be coincidence, but that many players hit that many times all from the same team in that short of time really speaks something.

Some bad luck that Ventura's "fuck you" got aired, but the angle that showed whatever Eaton said to him first didn't. Both the Royals broadcast AND the MLB Tonight guys have talked about it.

boxbrosg

I feel, after lurking for 8 years, I finally have a reason to post!

Royals post game clearly shows, CLEARLY shows, that Ventura got a good stab on a come backer to the mound, then sorta stared down Eaton who proceeded to say "What the fuck are you looking at, fucking cocksucker" in which Ventura responded with a "Fuck you"

Now, I still think that Ventura needs to get his shit together, and the whole eyeballing a batter after a homerun, hit, whatever is stupid. But most of the Royals altercations have come in response to something else. Its a shame, because this team is a contender still. How many teams can feel as good as the Royals do if they are tied or even within 1 run of a team after 6 innings? We are literally playing a 6 inning game at this point.

Honestly, as long as they keep winning, I sort of dont care if the entire team gets thrown out, but the first time it costs us a game, heads need to roll.

Back into the shadows I go...

Then they would have high HBP numbers like this every year which they don't.

Fair point. Maybe they don't like them?
But Cain especially is really close with his stance and he being hit started all this if I recall correctly.
Rizzo'sstance though is ridiculous. A high fastball over the plate would hit him.

zulux21

Some bad luck that Ventura's "fuck you" got aired, but the angle that showed whatever Eaton said to him first didn't. Both the Royals broadcast AND the MLB Tonight guys have talked about it.

again, even if eaton yelled out FUCK YOU VENTURA it wouldn't really justify ventura's actions. though if he had said that particular thing he would have been kicked out of the game as well most likely. I can even believe he said something like "ah, you cocksucker" but with no real anger in it much like you would say to a friend when they own you in a game. (again if it was said with a real aggressive tone he would have been kicked out of the game and wasn't as there is no chance the pitcher hears it and the ump doesn't) Eaton a batter who is struggling is expected to say something along the lines of curse you to a pitcher who snagged what would have been a hit if he didn't snag it.

Ventura the pitcher in that case should just laugh and take it as a complement not be a little punk and start a fight. if ever pitcher started fights after snagging a ball up the middle and having a batter say something to them there would be way way way more fights in baseball.

Beyond that KC are working on making Ventura the face of their franchise. You have to be the bigger man when you are the face of the franchise, not try to pick fights.

Royals post game clearly shows, CLEARLY shows, that Ventura got a good stab on a come backer to the mound, then sorta stared down Eaton who proceeded to say "What the fuck are you looking at, fucking cocksucker" in which Ventura responded with a "Fuck you"

Now, I still think that Ventura needs to get his shit together, and the whole eyeballing a batter after a homerun, hit, whatever is stupid. But most of the Royals altercations have come in response to something else. Its a shame, because this team is a contender still. How many teams can feel as good as the Royals do if they are tied or even within 1 run of a team after 6 innings? We are literally playing a 6 inning game at this point.

Honestly, as long as they keep winning, I sort of dont care if the entire team gets thrown out, but the first time it costs us a game, heads need to roll.

so basically ventura still instigated it, eaton took the bait, ventura escalated it. I'd like to see the video with eaton though, as I am surprised he wouldn't be thrown out if that was heard. (beyond that the video I can see there really isn't time for that to go down because right after he catches the ball ventura starts walking towards eaton and then says the FU. I mean maybe eaton says something after the first step but again ventura should have just thrown to first and be done with it)

but yeah, being on edge can bring a lot of energy to a team, and stuff like this can keep KC hot for a while. but typically after a while either tempers cool and play cools or they just crash in general leading to a few weeks of horrible play that some teams don't come back from.

8 years and only one post? Damn, I feel like I'm lucky to have seen this post before it gets lost in this thread.

Yeah, they're showing the full footage on Quick Pitch now. Eaton definitely unloads a string of profanity at him up the baseline, and it ain't friendly. The previously hypothesized "what the fuck you looking at, fucking cocksucker" looks about right.

(Of course it's entirely possible those homers Physioc and Hudler doctored the video and CG'd Eaton's mouth)

zulux21

Yeah, they're showing the full footage on Quick Pitch now. Eaton definitely unloads a string of profanity at him up the baseline, and it ain't friendly. The previously hypothesized "what the fuck you looking at, fucking cocksucker" looks about right.

(Of course it's entirely possible those homers Physioc and Hudler doctored the video and CG'd Eaton's mouth)

how far up the baseline? I want to see if I can see anything in the video.

zulux21

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7417714/v86806783/mlb-tonight-on-benchesclearing-incident-in-chicago

Hard to see what he said in their replay, i tried my best to read his lips on my big screen during post game.

I missed the original quick pitch stuff. What eaton likely said wasn't "what the fuck you looking at, fucking cocksucker" but more likely something like "what the fuck was that pitch, fucking cocksucker"

Comment specifically defines the 'Quick Pitch' as a ball delivered before the batter is "reasonably set in the batter's box," the penalty for which is an automatic ball (as in Rule 8.01[d])

Eaton was finishing up getting set up as the pitch was delivered, and thus wasn't fully set before it was thrown, so if there wasn't a huge fight there was a chance that he could have argued it was an illegal pitch and gotten it changed to a ball. Thus it's understandable why eaton was upset as Ventura was basically trying to cheat. (for the record, if ventura can cheat like that and not get called on it, he should do it multiple times a game)

it makes it more baffling though why ventura said fuck you though, as it should be something more like "GOT YOU" (actually got you isn't that different, I wonder if it's possible it was a got you and not a fuck you o_O, I don't think so though as ventura's mouth closes to make the F sound) either way it seems like ventura is a bit less of a punk then originally it seemed, now he is just more like A J Pierzynski on the mound instead of behind the plate :p

if he said got you, still being a dick but this would be more of a fun competitor dick. (like how A J Pierzynski would be :p)

Official MLB report says Eaton yelled first.

Lucasfilm refused to comment on reports that George is remastering the footage to remove all trace of this initial instigation.

#HanShotFirst

Top Bottom