• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Rangers on a roll lately. Gonna have to start watching games again.

Colby Lewis been putting in some work lately, I'm actually surprised he's decent this year.

If only Darvish was healthy :(

Called it 9 blown saves this year. Wow

Edit: I don't know what the heck happened to Cishek, I used to never worry about him closing a game, but know I'm nervous every time he pitches. I guess we could give AJ Ramos a shot a closer, but I don't know if he will be much better. Sigh, I wish we would have just lost 2-1.

JDeluis

Beautiful home run.

Damn phone ruined the surprise due to MLB.tv delay on PS3. I need to turn it off. Wish there was a way to delay for 1 or 2 minutes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You, kev, and jman are the old guard, barely post here, and are on the decline. We're grateful for what you guys did, but it's time for the new age (myself and dp) to take over.

Time for you guys to ride into the sunset.

Woah woah woah hold on. The council is a permanent establishment dedicated to the appreciation of our Elite New York Yankees, and infighting and political posturing over (ir)regularity of posting has no place in this sacred establishment.

Yankees-GAF and Braves-GAF have been falling off for a couple seasons now. West coast MLB-GAF takeover!

Good. Hope he wins.

I mean he was never busted for juicing. Yet he's still not in the hall.

Did he juice? Yeah probably but everybody did, and everybody still does they're just better at dosing and hiding it now.

The fact that he was blackballed and has had his legacy shattered and dragged through the mud for almost 10 years is a joke.

Good. Hope he wins.

I mean he was never busted for juicing. Yet he's still not in the hall.

Did he juice? Yeah probably but everybody did, and everybody still does they're just better at dosing and hiding it now.

The fact that he was blackballed and has had his legacy shattered and dragged through the mud for almost 10 years is a joke.

bondsarod.jpg

:p

I don't give a shit what kind of "stuff" you're on. To hit 26 home runs with a .480 OBP at age 42 is fucking amazing.

Yea but honestly I don't think NL teams should be blamed for not wanting him at that point. It's mighty suspect though that no one in the AL did for a DH.

I don't give a shit what kind of "stuff" you're on. To hit 26 home runs with a .480 OBP at age 42 is fucking amazing.

You don't hit 762 HR's without being a special player. You don't have a career .444 OBP (I can't even put into words how incredible that is), a 146.4 career WAR, a career OPS over 1.000, and a career wRC+ of 173 (WUT) without being the greatest offensive threat the game has ever seen.

Steroids don't just magically make you Barry Bonds. You're born that. Steroids didn't give him the greatest bat speed in history, steroids didn't give the man plate discipline rivaled only by Tony Gwynn (who for my money had the greatest eye in baseball history), steroids don't give you the natural fielding instincts that he had.

He was the most special player we've seen in 50 years before he even knew what PED's were. The only one, the ONLY one to rival him is Mike Trout. One other guy. In 50 years.

PED's don't make that.

Hell he could play for some teams right now if he wanted too (and wasn't blackballed) I'm sure.

You don't hit 762 HR's without being a special player. You don't have a career .444 OBP (I can't even put into words how incredible that is), a 146.4 career WAR, a career OPS over 1.000, and a career wRC+ of 173 (WUT) without being the greatest offensive threat the game has ever seen.

Steroids don't just magically make you Barry Bonds. You're born that. Steroids didn't give him the greatest bat speed in history, steroids didn't give the man plate discipline rivaled only by Tony Gwynn (who for my money had the greatest eye in baseball history), steroids don't give you the natural fielding instincts that he had.

He was the most special player we've seen in 50 years before he even knew what PED's were. The only one, the ONLY one to rival him is Mike Trout. One other guy. In 50 years.

PED's don't make that.

Hell he could play for some teams right now if he wanted too (and wasn't blackballed) I'm sure.

Trout is great but isn't it a little early to be making statements like this about a guy that's only played three full seasons?
skip1.png

It's just stupid that Bonds had to ruin his legacy by juicing, and also by being a total asshole. But mostly by juicing.

That's all on him though.

Trout is great but isn't it a little early to be making statements like this about a guy that's only played three full seasons?
skip1.png

Not really.

Dude has it all, has already compiled 3 MVP level seasons, got robbed twice, has more career WAR than 90% of current MLB players and he's played less than 3 1/2 years. He's in the top 30 for active WAR among position players, the next youngest player on that list is Cutch who has a 3 point lead on him. He'll be in the top 20 by the end of this year. The top 10 after next year (barring serious regression). That's insane. There are guys who have been playing for 10-12 years that are just baaaarely ahead of him.

If this was after his absurd rookie year it'd be too early but I think it's safe to say he's far and away the leagues best player and the only real generational level of talented positional player.

It's just stupid that Bonds had to ruin his legacy by juicing, and also by being a total asshole. But mostly by juicing.

That's all on him though.

But that's all conjectural. He was never caught nor punished (directly) by the league for steroids. Again there's no doubt he was juicing, but everybody was, you can't just remove 20 years of players because they juiced. Hell even guys who didn't (well okay he probably did but still) like Piazza are being punished just because of the stigma of PED's.

Should people recognize he used drugs? Absolutely. Does that mean he was anything less than the best player we've seen in the modern era and doesn't deserve to be in the HoF? IMO no. He's been punished enough, it's time for baseball to just bite the bullet.

steroids didn't give the man plate discipline rivaled only by Tony Gwynn (who for my money had the greatest eye in baseball history)

Ted Williams, bro. 20/10 acuity. Career .344 hitter. Career .482 OBP. Career .634 slugger. All while hitting for power, with 521 HRs. Absolutely disgusting. Let those numbers sink in.

Williams had 1,582 less career at bats than Gwynn, but drew 1,231 more walks.

I think Gwynn was the top contact hitter of the modern era. The one category where he trumps Williams was in strikeouts. Dude was almost impossible to strikeout. He averaged 29 per 162 games. That's...ridiculous.

The Oakland Athletics are not a good baseball team this year.

The bullpen is a shambles:

• 10 - Most losses of any pen
  • 5.18 ERA - Only Colorado and Cincy are worse
  • 7 - Blown saves - Only Miami has more (thanks Cishek)
  • .753 - Opponents OPS
  • 8 - Wild pitches
  • 48 - Walks allowed, worst in MLB

And the fielding. My God.

• 34 - Errors, 7 more than the next worst team (Brewers & Cubs)
  • .973 - Fielding %, worst in the game

They do nothing particularly well, and do a lot very poorly.

Vogt and Reddick have been amazing, Semien's been great, and Davis has overperformed. Billy's been okay. The rest is just mediocre filler.

Time to give Billy Burns, Canha, Bassitt, Hahn, and maybe Muncy some expanded playing time. Throw the towel in on the year and wait for Crisp's contract to expire.

They had a good run... stupid Verlander.

BFIB

Matt Carpenter is returning w/ the Redbirds in Cleveland. Apparently he was "severely dehydrated" and in turn, created an accelerated heart rate.

Dude, drink some gatorade and eat a sammich.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
It feels weird now that I got rid of cable tv 6 months ago and stop watching espn except for live sports I don't realize how the east coast teams are doing anymore lol.

WEEI is full of idiots anyway. I listen to them (because there's no other sports radio and I can only listen to so much terrible pop/country) and it's just a bunch of ranting and raving about nothing.

I called like 4 days ago about how Buchholz wasn't nearly as bad as they were making him out to be and brought up his FIP and BABIP and they laughed, called me a nerd and hung up on me while continuing to talk shit about him because HIS ERA DOE. And look I get it not everybody is a metrics person but come on you can't just dismiss them wholesale.

Then of course there's all the deflategate stuff.

Edwardo

WEEI is full of idiots anyway. I listen to them (because there's no other sports radio and I can only listen to so much terrible pop/country) and it's just a bunch of ranting and raving about nothing.

I called like 4 days ago about how Buchholz wasn't nearly as bad as they were making him out to be and brought up his FIP and BABIP and they laughed, called me a nerd and hung up on me while continuing to talk shit about him because HIS ERA DOE. And look I get it not everybody is a metrics person but come on you can't just dismiss them wholesale.

Not a fan of The Sports Hub?

Malo

Banned

Then of course there's all the deflategate stuff.
Sounds like you were talking to Mitch Williams and Harold Reynolds.

:jnfuckingc

But I'll keep my laughter to a minimum until I see where we are in June/July. I'm sure the Red Sox aren't going to sit forever with their hilarious rotation and keep hoping to win every game 8 - 5...
I'm laughing at the absurdity of writing a doom and gloom article 3 games into the season. And, the fact that at 1-2, that's the closest we'd be to sniffing contention all season.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Sounds like you were talking to Mitch Williams and Harold Reynolds.

I'm laughing at the absurdity of writing a doom and gloom article 3 games into the season. And, the fact that at 1-2, that's the closest we'd be to sniffing contention all season.

I'm with Capt. I thought the team was underrated prior to the start of the season. With the improved defense, rotation and Girardi's mastery of bullpen management, I expected the Yankees to win a lot of close games. The "Bronx Bombing" is what I did not expect and still don't have faith they'll keep up which might bring the team back down to earth. If they are hitting this well come mid-July, then we can keep lolling all the way to first place in the AL East.

jman2050

Projections were actually very favorable to the Yankees lineup as far as actual performance goes if I remember. The biggest reason people were so down on the team overall was health. Makes sense, given that's what sunk the Yankees the past two years.

If this team stays healthy they can potentially be very good, but May 12 is pretty early and I can easily see the older players break down spectacularly before the season gets too far in.

Loco4Coco

I have this feeling that Syndergaard will get lit up like a Christmas tree today. Then the next day all you'll hear is how he's a bust and should've been traded for Tulo.

Beckx

Finally got a chance to catch up on VODs of the last few Pirates games.

Kang is legit. Funny to look back at the spring and the media fears about the leg kick, now he's eliminating it when he wants to and still drilling the ball.

related: watching MLB.tv VODs is painful with all the commercials, I swear if I see a bottle of banana boat I will scream

It's amazing to think every time the Jays win a game and take a step forward...I then see they are back at .500.

It's insanely frustrating, especially when you consider that if we at least had serviceable pitching and a bullpen that wasn't a house of horrors, we'd be in the mix for the AL East lead.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Marlins are reportedly close to signing Rafael Soriano.

Curious.

They witnessed first hand how garbage he became in the 2nd half of last season. He gave them like 4 runs in the 9th in one game and a home run to Stanton in another blown save.

He had like all-star numbers before the break then went to complete shit.

:jnfuckingc

But I'll keep my laughter to a minimum until I see where we are in June/July. I'm sure the Red Sox aren't going to sit forever with their hilarious rotation and keep hoping to win every game 8 - 5...

The Red Sox are gonna be competing for the bottom spot with The Blue Jays all year long. Their pitching sucks.

Top Bottom