• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Beckx

Shohei Otani is pitching now if anyone cares.[/URL]

I am settling down with coffee, breakfast and this game. Otani v Messenger. Tigers can't hit but they're on a pretty good roll, Messenger trying to recover from the shock of being sent down. Meanwhile Fighters got two of the top 5 vote leaders in the NPB all star voting, Otani and Sho-time Nakata (18 HR). Been waiting to watch Otani pitch and hit in the same game & had this game against the Tigers marked since it first looked like it would work out.

---

He's got all his pitches working through 2. Forkball has turned into a nasty weapon this year but the biggest growth for him is he developed a good curve. He got hammered in spring training working on it but its paying off.

Messenger must still be pissed about the demotion. He's killing people.

His control is off in the 4th but this is what I like about Otani, he flips a Refuse to Lose switch in his head and fights. Still hung one and gave up a run. Gets out with a curve.

1 2 3 in the 5th. Good game.

Shibata has Otani dialed in with 2 hits already. Works a great at bat but grounds out. Two consecutive walks with two outs. His control is a bit off tonight and he's not getting benefit of the doubt on close pitches. I'd swear his curve percentage is way higher than normal, he has better control of that than his fastball today. Gets lucky with a slider way outside the zone to escape.

Messenger is winning this duel so far through 6. His shit is on point, clearly he's here to deliver a statement that Fujinami isn't the Tigers' ace yet. Holding 1-0 lead going into the 7th.

Otani gets Messenger looking to cap a 1-2-3 7th, and he's up to lead off the Fighters in the 8. No hits, two strikeouts at the plate so far. He works the count full but Messenger gets him to fan again. Two fly balls and fighters are down to their last three outs. Wonder if they let Messenger go for the CG SO or send in Oh.

Tigers get a runner to second with one out and that's it for Otani's night after seven and a third. He did well considering a couple of inconsistent spots. Still posted 11Ks.

Oh going for the save against the heart of the Fighters lineup. Jesus, three Ks to end it.

Great game. Otani's line: 7.1 IP, 4H, 11K, 3BB, 1R on the mound, 0-3 with 3Ks at the plate. Most of the time he looked really good, just that 4th inning that cost him. Lowered his FIP from 1.25 to 1.22 on the year. Messenger's line: 8IP, 2H, 8K, 2BB, 0R.

If you're interested, tomorrow the Fighters send 21 year old rookie Kohei Arihara on the mound, their first round draft pick. He was a highly sought after prospect from Waseda University and the Fighters won the lottery to get him. He won his first start but got shelled in his second. Third start was pretty good but still pretty ugly numbers on the year (FIP over 5!). That said he's got good stuff and it's going to be interesting to see if he can live up to the billing and develop into a good replacement when Otani inevitably leaves for the states. Vid of one of his performances in college. Can hit 97 on the gun, has good breaking pitches with good command in college. Wide repertoire of pitches, cutter, fork, slider, shuuto, change, curve. (http://baseballdata.jp/ is a godly site if you have some ability in Japanese.) Edit: hrm, Fighters PR has Yoshikawa starting tomorrow now. Arihara's starts have been coming after Otani so that's weird. Probably the rain out moving Yoshikawa's start so maybe Arihara goes Monday.

The Mets have decided to stick to a 5 man rotation like a normal beisbol team. WTF is this team doing? Toss Niese and Gee to the glue factory and promote Steven Matz already.

Nice to see Murphy go on the DL. When is his amputation scheduled? Who will be next to go on the DL? I hope Dilson and d'Arnaud can be back by the next homestand.

BFIB

STL sure have a shitty announce team.
MLB.tv automated to their stream.
Back to my man in LA.

Oh.....oh....no. Why anyone would subject themselves to Dan and Al, your just asking for pain.

Now Shannon and Rooney on the radio, thats good entertainment.

The family of the fan struck by the splintered bat at Fenway last night just released a statement

CG1WrTLUQAAiaRG.jpg:large

zychi

Banned
Oh.....oh....no. Why anyone would subject themselves to Dan and Al, your just asking for pain.

Now Shannon and Rooney on the radio, thats good entertainment.

I'll have to switch. I google your radio team and they seem like they get favorable reviews outside of STL. You Cards fans are so "nuh uh are stuff is the best!" I was surprised you said that about your guys.

I'll have to switch. I google your radio team and they seem like they get favorable reviews outside of STL. You Cards fans are so "nuh uh are stuff is the best!" I was surprised you said that about your guys.

Dan is maybe OK by himself, but the rest of the broadcasting team is really bad. I don't think I'd ever choose them over another team, except maybe the Reds' team. Somehow Rick & Al make Tim McCarver the best color commentator on the team

Radio is pretty good, although mostly because Shannon says shit like this frequently

zychi

Banned
Dan is maybe OK by himself, but the rest of the broadcasting team is really bad. I don't think I'd ever choose them over another team, except maybe the Reds' team. Somehow Rick & Al make Tim McCarver the best color commentator on the team

Radio is pretty good, although mostly because Shannon says shit like this frequently

Yeah I won't like Shannon then. He sounds like the Bulls guy Stacey King always trying to say something funny/come up with a catchphrase. It gets irritating.

BFIB

Yeah I won't like Shannon then. He sounds like the Bulls guy Stacey King always trying to say something funny/come up with a catchphrase. It gets irritating.
The more he drinks, the better it gets.

He does a "Live From Shannon's" show at his resturant. It's basically him telling old stories from the road with whoever is in town facing the Cards, always entertaining.

zroid

Banned
a series win against the Stros? is that even legally allowed in the CBA?

I guess they relaxed the rules a little since they've already clinched the season series

harSon

Banned
We really need to pick up a pitcher. Locke is such a liability at the 5th spot. Those TJ surgeries in our farm system sure fucked us over in that regard... I'd rather have Worley out there right now.

Damn shame about Richards. He was looking so good before his injury last season and seems he still hasn't quite got his control where he wants it (granted he had a lot of wild pitches even when he was hot last season). Angel's pen is so funky this season, Weaver is off, Shoemaker is off, Wilson has had a surprising comeback, and Santiago has stepped up.

Beckx

We really need to pick up a pitcher. Locke is such a liability at the 5th spot. Those TJ surgeries in our farm system sure fucked us over in that regard... I'd rather have Worley out there right now.

Yeah. On the flip side, I'm pretty damn excited by how Cole has developed into the ace this year.

Top Bottom