• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Beckx

Fighters - Lions was so entertaining today.

Otani had a rocky start (for him), his slider was off and his catcher saved him two runs at least in the first. So he focused on his curve and fastball and it was business as usual - including this completely unfair curve - fastball sequence.

He hit 99 on the gun in the 6th but left with a blister on his pitching hand in the 7th. Gave up 2 runs (including the first home run he's given up all year) & crossed the 100 K threshold (would have crossed it several weeks ago but he missed a couple of starts in May).

Former Yankee Brandon Laird hit a beastly home run to put the game away for the Fighters...hopefully he can pick up his average and then slot in behind Sho Nakata. Orix ran away from Nakata every time they could with no one there to protect him. Nakata's bat speed was crossing 93 mph in batting practice, he's far and away my favorite player in baseball. Hard working guy and great face for the organization, even if he is from Osaka Toin. ;)

Beckx

Also, if the Pirates could bat against Tigers' pitching all the time, that would be keen, thanks.

More Martinez tears would be good, too.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ah yes, because that's considered a judgment call by the umpire on whether or not it went over the base.

That's why I wanted to see a 3rd baseline view. But it clearly landed foul so I'm not sure how it could hook like that off the bounce. Iunno. Just sucks for Max honestly. Like 4 of his losses are because the Nats can't score more than a run for him so he has to be flawless.

Parch

8 Blue Jay pitchers needed so far. This is exactly why they need another reliable starting pitcher. This totally messes up the bullpen for the road trip.

zroid

Banned
Effing Blue Jays. Of course they'd lose a series against shitty Boston.

It sucks but calling up Boyd was obviously a massive error. He's nowhere near ready.

Sanchez going down has been an unmitigated disaster so far. If he's not back and in his May form after the ASB we're mega screwed.

rando14

Rodney Dangerfield wouldn't swing that bad.

I think you read that wrong. Alvin Davis was my favorite player growing up. Would never bash my Mariner breathren. Jay Buhner is a norse god. Long live Jim Presley.

Thank you friend :')

No way we were beating Kazmir anyway, dude is money. Just happy we didn't get perfecto'd, was looking bad early on....

Saying the Marlins have been a disappointment this year is a understatement, but they have stretches where the are an absolute blast to watch.

Yeah for sure, the past five games have reminded me of last year's team, who were a blast to watch. Love the fight they have shown lately.

I know we aren't going to make the playoffs this season, but I think we can at least finish the season on a positive note, with a more respectable record.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah for sure, the past five games have reminded me of last year's team, who were a blast to watch. Love the fight they have shown lately.

I know we aren't going to make the playoffs this season, but I think we can at least finish the season on a positive note, with a more respectable record.
At least you know you can't do any worse than 4th place.

CI9ZsGyWcAA2B3o.jpg

I guess Mark Trumbo doesn't plan on improving that -5 wRC+ he posted in June.

zroid

Banned
The thing that makes no sense is the out call was made before he got tagged -- regardless of whether he actually touched the plate or not. So when you go to review, logically that call needs to be discarded.

THEN they can decide if he actually touched the plate, but from that frame of reference, he should be "called" safe and then you need evidence to prove him out. There was obviously not enough evidence to say he didn't touch the plate. So the final call should be safe.

I didn't know this at the time but apparently there is an actual rule specifically outlined for this scenario? And the umps completely ignored it. Well that's a fucking joke.

AH8YVTV.png

I didn't know this at the time but apparently there is an actual rule specifically outlined for this scenario? And the umps completely ignored it. Well that's a fucking joke.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Section F or elsewhere in these Regulations, in accordance with Official Baseball Rule 8.02© (formerly Rule 9.02©), when reviewing a play at home plate, if the Replay Official determines both that the runner did not touch home plate and that the fielder did not tag the runner (or, in the case of a force play, did not touch home plate), the Replay Official shall rule the runner "safe" at home plate unless the defensive Manager appeals the failure of the runner to touch home plate prior to the Crew Chief making contact with the Replay Official.

Example. A runner attempts to score on a play at the plate. The catcher misses the tag on the runner, and the runner fails to touch home plate, but the umpire calls a tag and the runner "out." The offensive manager challenges the call, and the Replay Official determines that the catcher missed the tag. The Replay Official shall disregard the failure of the runner to touch home plate, declare the runner "safe" and score the run.

It would seem the rule applies when the runner is NEVER tagged out. Hannigan applied the tag afterwards.

zroid

Banned
It would seem the rule applies when the runner is NEVER tagged out. Hannigan applied the tag afterwards.

Even if that were the case it comes back to what I said earlier. The "out" call was made before the tag was applied. Therefore the play is over. If the runner is called out why would he try to avoid a tag? I think you're probably misinterpreting the rule.

Even if that were the case it comes back to what I said earlier. The "out" call was made before the tag was applied. Therefore the play is over. If the runner is called out why would he try to avoid a tag? I think you're probably misinterpreting the rule.

Maybe. Either which way he was called out. The review needs to show conclusively that the call on the field was wrong. It didn't. Call stood. Blue Jays get thrashed regardless.

So the hapless Mets will face both Kershaw and Grienke. LOL Two perfect games? No way in hell am I going to pay attention to any west coast game. Fuck that noise. Its past my damn bed time anyways. :p

Maybe Alderson will make a move once he's done walking his dog.

zroid

Banned
Maybe. Either which way he was called out. The review needs to show conclusively that the call on the field was wrong. It didn't. Call stood. Blue Jays get thrashed regardless.
yeah trust me I'm not trying to spin this as the reason they lost or anything retarded like that. but it was a pretty horrendous initial call and replay call. shit like this needs to be fixed. it happens way too often and this was probably the most egregious example I've seen this season so far. umpiring is a joke and I think everyone can agree on that.

It's make or break time.

we'll break

😭😭😭

zulux21

I hate unwritten rules like this. It's still only the first inning and the other team always has a chance to come back and win no matter how large the score is. He also plays for the Red Sox and knows how quick their lead can go up in smoke.

I hate most unwritten rules.

guy has a no hitter going, you know what, go ahead and bunt, if you get a hit you were freaken doing your job. (it's the defenses job to stop you from getting a hit, not your job to not take advantage of the third baseman playing back)

if you are up by 10, keep piling it on. your goal isn't to be nice because you are winning by a lot, your goal is to win. they are professionals, they can handle being destroyed by another team.

aka, you play to win, it doesn't matter what the score is or the situation such as a perfect game, you should always be trying to win.

Top Bottom