• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

vern

Hey there was that period of my life when I liked the braves...blame TBS for airing tons of games and I could only listen to Giants games mostly only on radio.

Lol me too...I loved watching baseball and it was either that or WGN and the Cubs... Luckily I came around to the Giants when I got older and wiser. I did always like the Giants and we went to Candlestick all the time, just the Braves were my team to cheer for when I was home after school. Loved Maddux and Pendleton and Grissom and Otis Nixon and all those dudes.

aFIGurANT

Can't wait until August. The games between these two teams have been fucking great thus far.

Seconded. STL and Pitt are very similar in a lot of ways this year and it makes things always tight.

Thank god it wasn't Ishikawa that drove that last run in though, I'd have to cry myself to sleep.

RGVNOE

STL 5W - 9L in last 14 games, after these last few series I've seen they need bullpen help, Greenwood, Tuivalala, and socolovich gotta go, and they need to stop usin Maness and Chote so much

STL 5W - 9L in last 14 games, after these last few series I've seen they need bullpen help, Greenwood, Tuivalala, and socolovich gotta go, and they need to stop usin Maness and Chote so much
Soco has been okay. Unless you want Mozeliak to completely revamp the bullpen a la 2011, we're stuck with most of those guys. 1B is a more pressing need (and maybe an innings eater) but maybe getting bullpen arms will be a cheaper route to improve the team.

Hoping Walden can return and give the unit a boost but I'm not holding my breath.

aFIGurANT

Also Rosie better not pitch on Tuesday. If he coughed one more up on an even bigger stage...smh at the schaudenfreude that would ensue by "Waino Blows ASG pt. 2" headlines.

RGVNOE

Soco has been okay. Unless you want Mozeliak to completely revamp the bullpen a la 2011, we're stuck with most of those guys. 1B is a more pressing need (and maybe an innings eater) but maybe getting bullpen arms will be a cheaper route to improve the team.

Hoping Walden can return and give the unit a boost but I'm not holding my breath.

yea mainly Greenwood and Tuivalala, and hopefully Walden comes back soon to to take some innings from Chote and Maness

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Most noteworthy stat box of the season:

aCNmrYyh.jpg

Syrinx

Could definitely see myself rooting for the Pirates in the playoffs if the Mets don't make it which they probably won't. Please, please beat out the Cards for the division. Last thing I want to see is the Cards in the World Series again. Shit I'd rather the Nats make it than them.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Braves were close to acquiring Nick Swisher from the Indians in exchange for Chris Johnson before Swisher got injured in June.

Well Astros gaf it was fun while it lasted right?

Heading out there for the three game set against the Dbacks at the end of July. Can't wait. Haven't been to Houston since going to the Astrodome in '98 to see Sosa.

I imagine it will be chilly. Should probably bring a light sweater.

Hell man, even if the Astros can't win the division, who cares. Huge steps forward this year and more on the way. This team's only going to get better.

Parch

it's certainly a great tire fire, yes
The Blue Jays are something alright. Crazy offense combined with large doses of pitching frustrations. This team can make me go from disappointed to excited to angry in a couple of innings, but I gotta admit I can't stop watching.
It's a high speed train always on the brink of derailing, but who doesn't want to watch a good train wreck?

The Blue Jays are something alright. Crazy offense combined with large doses of pitching frustrations. This team can make me go from disappointed to excited to angry in a couple of innings, but I gotta admit I can't stop watching.
It's a high speed train always on the brink of derailing, but who doesn't want to watch a good train wreck?

When it ends the same way every year. Ask Leafs fans.

Though if the Buccos play the way they are, and if the Astros and Twins can keep up, at least this year's playoffs will be good.

jbug617

Banned
Jay Bruce can be had
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...right-fielder-jay-bruce-is-available-in-trade

Reds right fielder Jay Bruceis available in trade, league sources say.

The Reds are expected by rivals to become a full-fledged seller in coming days, perhaps shortly after the All-Star Game here, but to this point the one name being heard is Bruce, which is somewhat curious since they have multiple big players who are free agents after the year, and Bruce isn't one of them.

Bruce has been hot in recent weeks, raising his average from .160 to .251 and pushing his OPS above .800 (it's .806). So it's no surprise the Reds aren't currently offering to pay down significant money on Bruce's deal, which guarantees about $19.5 million through the end of 2016. Bruce makes $12 million this year and $12.5 million next year, and has a $13-million option for 2017 with a $1 million buyout. He has a no-trade provision to eight teams, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

Teams considering outfielders this trade season include the Angels, Pirates, Royals and Giants. The Blue Jays may, too, but their priority is a starting pitcher, followed by a back-end bullpen piece. The Yankees may seek a hitter, but it's more likely to be one who bats righthanded. The Angels are one team that's been looking for a lefty bat since things didn't work out there with Josh Hamilton this year.

Once the Reds decide to sell, and rivals suggest they expect that day is coming, they should have quite an interesting sale. Ace pitcher Johnny Cueto and solid starter Mike Leake are free agents after the year and would be expected to be part of any sale, as could be reliever Manny Parra and others.

Fuck everything else. If AA doesn't go hard for a pitcher at the deadline this year, then the season is lost, and AA and probably Gibby's time in Toronto are finished.

wbsmcs

With the Jays limp towards the All Star Break I don't think they should be buyers. If the Yankees keep their current pace they would end with ~88-89 wins, meaning the Jays would need to go 44-29 to make the playoffs. That's a .600 win percentage rest of the way which I don't think would be possible with the acquisition of one more pitcher.

In fact, I think they should actually be sellers. Travis, Donaldson, Martin, and their young pitchers are a pretty decent core to build around. If they could get a good package from Pittsburgh for someone like Edwin I say do it. Reyes, Bautista, and Edwin are only getting older and have been declining the past couple years, plus have injury issues.

I just think sometimes how awesome an infield of Travis, Hechavarria, and Donaldson would have been for the future...

Edit: Although I'm not saying that I wouldn't be ecstatic if they do manage to make a blockbuster and a push for the playoffs!

Yost made an agreement with Ventura that Sale is only going to pitch one inning.

Admittedly I haven't really watched the ASG for a few years, but don't the starters typically go more than one inning these days?

Huh... I must not be looking at the right stats, because anyone that says Sale should start over Keuchel based on performance this year would be crazy looking at the numbers I'm looking at.

Unless your only metric of being "lights out" is strikeouts.

In practically every value category, Dallas has the clear edge.

This right here is some anti-Houston bias.

Plus, think of the beard.

Huh... I must not be looking at the right stats, because anyone that says Sale should start over Keuchel based on performance this year would be crazy looking at the numbers I'm looking at.

It's a HUGE gap in strikeout rate though. Sale is also giving up fewer walks and fewer hits. Keuchel has pitched a little bit further into games with a better ERA and fewer HRs allowed.

Dallas has been having a good season and choosing him to start is defensible to some degree but you're out of your mind if you can't see why Sale is arguably having the better season so far.

Keuchel is not a better pitcher than Chris Sale.

rando14

Sale has Keuchel clearly beat in FIP, xFIP, SIERA, and fWAR. Not to mention, Keuchel's BABIP against is .255, which is far below his career ~.300 and will almost certainly come back up.

That said, both are awesome pitchers, doesn't really matter who starts tbh....

Keuchel is not a better pitcher than Chris Sale.

This year he sure as hell is

Kd6eGxi.jpg

Dallas has been having a good season and choosing him to start is defensible to some degree but you're out of your mind if you can't see why Sale is arguably having the better season so far.

Sale is the more dominating starter, Keuchel is who I'd want on the mound to win a game.

Sale has Keuchel clearly beat in FIP, xFIP, and fWAR. Not to mention, Keuchel's BABIP against is .255, which is far below his career ~.300 and will almost certainly come back up.

That said, both are awesome pitchers, doesn't really matter who starts tbh....

Yeah but what might happen isn't what the ASG is about. Hell, Jack Armstrong started an ASG based on one great first half despite being terrible the rest of his career.

They are both awesome, but just because Sale strikes a lot of guys out doesn't make him the better pitcher.

Kd6eGxi.jpg

Sale is the more dominating starter, Keuchel is who I'd want on the mound to win a game.

Yeah but what might happen isn't what the ASG is about. Hell, Jack Armstrong started an ASG based on one great first half despite being terrible the rest of his career.

They are both awesome, but just because Sale strikes a lot of guys out doesn't make him the better pitcher.

That doesn't mean anything.

Kd6eGxi.jpg

That table is double/triple/quadruple counting stats in which Keuchel has the advantage. The first 4 stats are (E)RA based runs/wins - of course the pitcher with the better (E)RA also has more (E)RA-based wins! If you were to use FIP-based wins (above replacement, above average), the table looks totally different.

Top Bottom