• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

I'm stating a fact and dude is getting mad. I'm not taking anything away from Dallas, just that the most dominant pitcher in The AL should be starting.

BFIB

It's going to be an amazing second half between the Cards and Pirates.

Fun set of games this weekend, even though the Cards came up short.

Keuchel ain't no goddamn greg maddux

Right. He could be better.

Comparing Keuchel's first half with Maddux's breakout 1992 shows a hell of a lot of similarity.

M6Fc9jG.jpg

That probably doesn't mean anything either. For... reasons I guess.

Rookies>HOF's. C'mon DP everyone KNOWS this!

So Maddux wasn't shit until after he made the hall of fame? Because here's a guy who is throwing up very similar numbers at a similar age... but we can't compare them because the new dude hasn't done it for twenty years yet?

Of course, no one actually argues the point. That's cool. More fun to be flippant and drive by.

This reminds of when I was in Yankee stadium earlier this year. I was sitting out in the bleachers and Tampa was in town. These two clowns are giving it to Kevin Kiermaier. Talking all kinds of shit to him because he's a young player. Pure ignorance and abrasiveness. Finally, a guy turns around and says "you should pay attention, this is a guy we'll probably want to sign in 5 years."

Coulda been talking about Keuchel. But hur-dur rookies right.

rando14

This year he sure as hell is

Kd6eGxi.jpg

Sale is the more dominating starter, Keuchel is who I'd want on the mound to win a game.

Yeah but what might happen isn't what the ASG is about. Hell, Jack Armstrong started an ASG based on one great first half despite being terrible the rest of his career.

They are both awesome, but just because Sale strikes a lot of guys out doesn't make him the better pitcher.

I'm not saying that more K's = Sale is a better pitcher, I'm saying that, in my unbiased opinion, the sabermetrics and the laws of regression indicate that Sale is a better pitcher. Not to mention Sale has been elite for 4 years now, whereas Keuchel has been elite for only a year. Right now it's so close it's a coin flip. Pick you favorite pitcher.

Not sure what the huge argument is about, we're all just stating opinions after all...

EDIT: I dont know what this HoF talk is about either...

aFIGurANT

Anyways, both couldn't hold Sonny Gray's jock.

Great retort. Excellent analysis.

While good for you for starting this conversation, you gotta realize that K/BB and Ks in general are really just something you want. That huge gap in Ks is why people are going to say Sale > Keuchel. Throw in the fact that the 110 lb Sale is going to snap a ligament any season now (rite?) and it would seem like now's a good time to let him get a big honor in.

Personally I see why Yost would go Keuchel though just because he's the main arm on a breakout-type team. We'll see if his crazy GB% holds up tomorrow night, that's for sure.

JoseDFrog

Banned
So Maddux wasn't shit until after he made the hall of fame? Because here's a guy who is throwing up very similar numbers at a similar age... but we can't compare them because the new dude hasn't done it for twenty years yet?

Of course, no one actually argues the point. That's cool. More fun to be flippant and drive by.

This reminds of when I was in Yankee stadium earlier this year. I was sitting out in the bleachers and Tampa was in town. These two clowns are giving it to Kevin Kiermaier. Talking all kinds of shit to him because he's a young player. Pure ignorance and abrasiveness. Finally, a guy turns around and says "you should pay attention, this is a guy we'll probably want to sign in 5 years."

Coulda been talking about Keuchel. But hur-dur rookies right.

Chill dude I'm just joking. I know you weren't comparing Keuchel to hall of famers, just using them as an example to state your point about who should start the all star game. I know Keuchel shut the Yankees down and that's all I really know of the guy. My stance on hall of fame comparisons is that it's unfair to judge until a player is in the twilight of their or careers, too many players flame out at a young age.

Maddux sure as hell didn't make the HOF based on his '92 season. I mean, it's fun to talk/speculate about what lies ahead for Keuchel but one good half-season should not be drawing a comparison to Greg F'n Maddux.

Even if you set the cutoff at 1990 (and ignore all the pitching seasons before that), that '92 season for Maddux ranks 52nd by pitching fWAR. It wasn't the best performance in '92 nor was it Maddux's best season. If you put together something truly transcendental like Pedro's '99 season, sure, break out the HOF talk.

Because 2015 Keuchel is on pace to have a similar season as 1992 Maddux and CosmicQueso thinks that we're disparaging Keuchel by saying that 2015 Sale has been a better pitcher so far. Of course, Keuchel having a fine season and Sale having a better season aren't mutually exclusive.

While good for you for starting this conversation, you gotta realize that K/BB and Ks in general are really just something you want. That huge gap in Ks is why people are going to say Sale > Keuchel.

Well sure. But it's not a slam dunk, and one is not an idiot for thinking that the other guy is in the same league.

Maddux sure as hell didn't make the HOF based on his '92 season. I mean, it's fun to talk/speculate about what lies ahead for Keuchel but one good half-season should not be drawing a comparison to Greg F'n Maddux.

Even if you set the cutoff at 1990 (and ignore all the pitching seasons before that), that '92 season for Maddux ranks 52nd by pitching fWAR. It wasn't the best performance in '92 nor was it Maddux's best season. If you put together something truly transcendental like Pedro's '99 season, sure, break out the HOF talk.

Totally get it... but just saying, dude's putting up a hell of a season. Just felt like my argument was being flippantly cast off. It was irksome.

Because people want to talk about better pitchers than Dallas Keuchel.

And with better taste in holiday sweaters.
347d8ff6ea88c2e6a440811490e2509a.jpeg

Bob Tewksbury is pitching??

Jesus as an A's fan watching Donaldson rope punches me in the balls.

ESPN can't get shittier camera work.

EDIT: Different Tewksbary.

Griffey had a C on his sleeve instead of an S. Disrespect for Seattle.

EDIT: Yeah, bonus time is lame.

I suppose we are losing everything we can trade coming up... Leake, Cueto, and Chapman... maybe Frazier. Anybody want Bruce of Phillips? lol

Top Bottom