• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

Friggz

so in the last 8 months or so the blue jays have upgraded the left side of their infield from lawrie and reyes to donaldson and tulo........also unless they swap reyes, im not sure understand the move.

Ok. I am fully awake and at work now. I am starting to process this trade and I like it. Tulo is a good addition and while I liked Reyes his defense drove me nuts.

I was hearing a news report this morning that Tulo had issues with the high altitude in Colorado.

ryan-ts

As a casual Jays fan, I'm excited about Tulo. Would trading for Cole Hamels instead of Tulo really give the Jays a better chance of being a playoff contender?

As a casual Jays fan, I'm excited about Tulo. Would trading those pieces for Cole Hamels really give the Jays a better chance of being a playoff contender?

Jays need pitching if they want to catch up to the Yankees and win the division. What are we willing to give up for that though?

Our bullpen looks better now with Hawkins in there but he's 100 years old.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Mets offered the Rockies SIGNIFICANTLY more for Tulo just last week, Wheeler and three "good" (top-15) prospects for him and the Rockies said no because the Wilpon's likely wouldn't take on the money.

What a fucking joke.

Fucking Wilpons. Smh.

LevelNth

Banned
I cannot express just how much I despise this Jays trade, and how worthless AA is as a GM. The Jays are going to revel in mediocrity for the next decade.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rockies fans love Tulu, so it's not really surprising the owners would trade him. Apathy for Rockies fans is the Monforts #1 priority.

We need a way to trade those two.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tulo can't even play 100 games a year playing in colorado. Not sure how the hell his body is going to hold up playing on concrete.

Steamer has Tulo at about half a win of an upgrade for the rest over Reyes. Honestly think I'd rather have Reyes contract too, 3 years less than Tulo. And they gave up some prospects to get this deal done too. I just don't get how the Blue Jays can make a trade and it not involving a SP at this point.

Really confused as to why folks are acting like Tulo is a huge upgrade over Reyes. Honestly think its a downgrade if anything.
um Offensively and defensively hes a huge upgrade

I cannot express just how much I despise this Jays trade, and how worthless AA is as a GM. The Jays are going to revel in mediocrity for the next decade.
Yeah god forbid he trade for the best SS in baseball

But a pitcher!!!1111 an upgrade is an upgrade son

LevelNth

Banned
Tulo can't even play 100 games a year playing in colorado. Not sure how the hell his body is going to hold up playing on concrete.

Steamer has Tulo at about half a win of an upgrade for the rest over Reyes. Honestly think I'd rather have Reyes contract too, 3 years less than Tulo. And they gave up some prospects to get this deal done too. I just don't get how the Blue Jays can make a trade and it not involving a SP at this point.
I 100% agree with you. The trade in a vacuum is fine, it's not like the prospects were ranked crazy high. But the Jays farm system is BARREN, and you either have to keep those pieces and trade Buerhle and realize your stupid ALL OFFENSE ALL THE TIME experiment has failed for 5 straight seasons now, and go all in this year and get a stud ace and pay the cash to get Papelbon.

Now Buerhle, Bautista and Encarnacion are all going to leave either this Fall or next, with no playoffs to speak of, with the Fan 590 discussing in 2017 just how long it'll be til Tulo comes back from his thumb injury and what happened to Marcus Stroman who everyone thought was going to be the savior (RICKY GOD DAMN ROMERO!).

Rage over.

stn

Jays still need pitching, this move totally came out of left field. Its nice to see that they're legitimate about trying to win, hopefully it lasts a while for them.

Nope, still hate it. Head over to Baseball Reference and take a look at Tulo's advanced numbers: they're down all across the board. Declining power numbers, the highest SO% he's had in years (and the lowest walk percentage of his career), an aging curve that looks eerily familiar...obviously he's starting out from a higher point than Reyes, but that doesn't mean much. When skills start to go, there's no telling how quickly it happens -- and Tulo is very clearly on the downside of his career. And on top of all that, he's as frail as Reyes was, so it's not like at least they got some durability out of this. We'll still be watching starting lineups with Goins as an offensive black hole right at the bottom 50-60 times a year, except now we'll be seeing that until 2021 instead of 2018.

And all that doesn't even take into account how dire the Jays' pitching is. By any measure it's one of the worst staffs in baseball, and we've seen time and again that they're capable of blowing any lead. And now there are three fewer prospects who could potentially have helped with that. Obviously, since they'll be playing in Coors we'll probably never see their true talent level, but losing a top prospect like Hoffman is going to hurt next year when the pitching staff is...uh...Stroman and a bunch of guys on who can't make it past the fifth inning.

zroid

Banned
Rockies fans are made they lost their favourite player

Jays fans are mad because no pitching

everyone is mad. the hallmark of a good trade.

graffix13

Yeah I don't get the trade either. I mean, putting runs on the board may get people in the seats but pitching wins in the playoffs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this talk about Tulo being an upgrade defensively isn't based on numbers. It's kind of sad to see folks like Jonah Keri actually say ignore every single defensive statistic because they want to say Tulo is an upgrade defensively over Reyes and the numbers don't match the narrative of Reyes being a total dumpster fire defensively.

zroid

Banned
All this talk about Tulo being an upgrade defensively isn't based on numbers. It's kind of sad to see folks like Jonah Keri actually say ignore every single defensive statistic because they want to say Tulo is an upgrade defensively over Reyes and the numbers don't match the narrative of Reyes being a total dumpster fire defensively.

Aren't you basing this on half a season of data though? Historically Tulo is a much better defender. Reyes hasn't been a good defender in like 8 years. Probably not as bad as people think, generally, but not good.

Have you seen Reyes play defense lately? He has zero range. I was going to say that he could only handle balls hit directly at him, then I remembered a few times this year where he couldn't even do that. As much as I hate this trade in every other respect, I refuse to believe that the Jays haven't marginally improved their infield defense.

Rockies fans are made they lost their favourite player

Jays fans are mad because no pitching

everyone is mad. the hallmark of a good trade.

Best way to understand what you're getting is to read comments from the other team's fans regarding the trade.

Holy George Bell Jays fans. Chill the fuck out.

It's the Tuesday BEFORE the trading deadline, not the Tuesday after it.

FFS get a hold of yourselves.

Even if you don't package Troy up in another deal, he's a 5+ WAR player when he's right, and he's 1.7 this year vs Reyes' 3+/0.6 this year. So it's arguably an improvement on its own.

But there's still 4 days left to get other deals done.

Man, Jays fans, for the love of Kelly Gruber, relax.

I feel for Rockies fans. They put 4.5 million people in the stands in 1993, now they get just better than half of that due to inept and antagonizing management. This is definitely not an upgrade for them.

LevelNth

Banned
Let's wait for Friday before we bitch and complain that AA didn't get any pitching.
My concern is who does he move to get it? I know Paps can still be had just for cash if they really want, but who? The Jays farm system batting depth is a black hole of talent, nobody anyone would want.

Unless they move a roster player or a combo of Stroman/Osuna/Norris/Sanchez, I have a hard time seeing it.

jl4855

My concern is who does he move to get it? I know Paps can still be had just for cash if they really want, but who? The Jays farm system batting depth is a black hole of talent, nobody anyone would want.

Unless they move a roster player or a combo of Stroman/Osuna/Norris/Sanchez, I have a hard time seeing it.

of the 4 norris can go. or maybe a level down, move boyd/pompey/smoral etc. tough to move pentecost (selling low as he's hurt) but who knows. maybe fetch a leake/cashner.

Dave Cameron had an interesting article about why the Jays might have gone for a bat instead of pitching

Conventional wisdom tells us that it's good to have a balance of pitching and hitting, it's maybe not that important. It might actually be better to add better bats to an already very good offenaive lineup because of the way they interact with eachother (ie it's not linear). So Reyes->Tulo is likely a bigger upgrade than a new starter (also more yrs of control, so maybe the Jays are playing for 2016 not 2015)

Sort of the same thing with the idea that you want to stack either OBP or SLG and not necessarily a balance of both

Dunno how accurate it is though

wbsmcs

How are people mad? We got Tulo and didn't give up any of the big prospects (Jeff Hoffman mayyyyybe ..#76 on baseball prospectus) but still...this is a core of Donaldson/Tulo/Travis/Martin + Pillar/Pompey for the next couple years and I'm excited about it.

Yea it would have been nice to get pitching..but for the price the Jays paid you would get someone like Tyson Ross. Someone like Shark would have been way more. And their bullpen isn't the absolute train wreck which it is made out to be..many times the SP was knocked out before the 4th and the bullpen was able to hold it down for the Jays to catch up. Closing out games has been a little bit more rough but with Sanchez and Hawkings in there now it seems more than capable.

Still a couple days to go out an acquire a Kenney/Gallardo type which should help them get the wildcard then smash Keuchel in the Wildcard Game. Jays win it 8-7
after Tulo hits a grad slam in the top of the 9th. and Hawkings comes in to finish it off after Osuna gives up 3 runs in the bottom of the inning.

...fingers crossed for Carrasco

Jays are not done making trades, per Heyman. Looking at Padres arms to supplement rotation.

Also, value is value. A run you gain by adding Tulo means just as much as the run you take away by adding better pitching. The net value is the same. So adding Tulo isn't a bad move, especially for a couple of nice prospects, a wild card, and an old Jose.

This is a really shocking trade. I'm still processing it.

Reyes for Tulowitzki sounds good to me, but giving up more prospects sucks. Bautista's certainly not going to be happy, though.

How are people mad? We got Tulo and didn't give up any of the big prospects (Jeff Hoffman mayyyyybe ..#76 on baseball prospectus) but still...this is a core of Donaldson/Tulo/Travis/Martin + Pillar/Pompey for the next couple years and I'm excited about it.

Yea it would have been nice to get pitching..but for the price the Jays paid you would get someone like Tyson Ross. Someone like Shark would have been way more. And their bullpen isn't the absolute train wreck which it is made out to be..many times the SP was knocked out before the 4th and the bullpen was able to hold it down for the Jays to catch up. Closing out games has been a little bit more rough but with Sanchez and Hawkings in there now it seems more than capable.

Still a couple days to go out an acquire a Kenney/Gallardo type which should help them get the wildcard then smash Keuchel in the Wildcard Game. Jays win it 8-7
after Tulo hits a grad slam in the top of the 9th. and Hawkings comes in to finish it off after Osuna gives up 3 runs in the bottom of the inning.

...fingers crossed for Carrasco
Hoffman was up to mid 30's on a few prospect lists midseason. I think he's gonna be really good

All these casual Jays fans coming out of the woodwork :jnc:

It happens any time the Jays do anything of note. There were a lot of them around late May/early June last year, too, when the Jays were leading the division and on a big winning streak. They'll vanish as soon as they realize the playoff drought isn't ending this year.

It happens any time the Jays do anything of note. There were a lot of them around late May/early June last year, too, when the Jays were leading the division and on a big winning streak. They'll vanish as soon as they realize the playoff drought isn't ending this year.

I guess it'll make the playoff thread a bit more unbearable again. If we make it, of course.

Top Bottom