• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
To put things in more perspective.

The last Astros player to have 7 triples in a season was Michael Bourn.

Opiate

So, the word seems to be that the Cardinals are cooling off on most 1b trade options.

It's a seller's market. The clubs who have so far sold off some of their good pieces (A's, Reds, Rockies) have extracted considerable value for what are in most cases very short term rentals (or in Tulowitzki's case, a very , very long term contract, which is also bad).

Given that the Cardinals don't really need to make a trade to make the playoffs, trading away significant future pieces for a .5-1 WAR upgrade at first base over the course of the rest of the year probably isn't worth it. One of the hallmarks of the Cardinals sustained success over the last decade is patience; they have very studiously avoided the "win now" mentality.

So, the word seems to be that the Cardinals are cooling off on most 1b trade options.

It's a seller's market. The clubs who have so far sold off some of their good pieces (A's, Reds, Rockies) have extracted considerable value for what are in most cases very short term rentals (or in Tulowitzki's case, a very , very long term contract, which is also bad).

Given that the Cardinals don't really need to make a trade to make the playoffs, trading away significant future pieces for a .5-1 WAR upgrade at first base over the course of the rest of the year probably isn't worth it. One of the hallmarks of the Cardinals sustained success over the last decade is patience; they have very studiously avoided the "win now" mentality.

I think it makes sense. Unless the Cardinals can get a Cishek-level deal, I don't see them making a move. I would even think another reliever is the most likely, but only if they can trade away nothing for them like they did for Cishek.

Not even sure where that reliever would fit, but I like chess pieces for October. And I think Mozeliak does too

BFIB

Mo has stated a few times now that he does not want a player for years, and wants a rental to not block Adams at 1B.

Lind would make a lot of sense, but the Brewers would also have a higher asking price I would imagine. Personally, the bullpen/rotation is what worries me the most, despite our offense sputtering most of the year. August is going to be brutal, and even though we are getting Walden back, and will likely have Lyons in a bullpen role as long relief, I still think another warm body down in the 'pen wouldn't hurt.

As for 1B, let Piscotty get his AB's there, and in the outfield to spell Holliday down the stretch.

Dodgers lose. We lose.

And who wins? THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS!

ETKRJeD.gif

(I'll take every win I can get at this point).

That beautiful, delicious pain of Andre Ethier. "Get it out, son"

This is the day the Dodgers turn the corner.

Kershaw vs Chavez? Heh, your thoughts are a pretty safe bet. BET THE HOUSE!

zroid

Banned
so apparently Fernando Rodney was tipping his pitches, and the Jays actually told the Mariners about it after their recent series

presumably because they don't play each other again this season, but the M's do face other teams in the wild card race. that's kind of awesome. :lol

I haven't posted in the thread since Cueto or Zobrist, but yes, I am OVER THE MOON :D

Oh, and here's a good gif of that play last night I cannot stop staring at it

YjvmEk5.gif

Opiate

I'm really excited for you, Duane. I live in downtown STL right now, and it's great to see people in KC Royals shirts. It's great to see KC fans have something to be enthusiastic about again.

There's a really big difference between a situation like KC fans circa 1990-2012 and Tampa Bay Rays fans circa forever; it's clear that KC fans were eager to root for the home team as soon as there was something to root for. Tampa Bay could probably be winning multiple world series titles and would still be drawing 10k fans per game.

Would that mean they are out on Hamels?

Depends on who the 3 minor leaguers are who they sent to Miami. They can't be anyone of note considering what they got back. They still easily have the pieces to get Hamels or Price it just depends on how willing they are to give them up.

The deal is about the draft pick they just bought, has nothing really to do with Latos or Morse.

Castro isn't in the lineup for the Cubs tonight, all that's left is to announce which Padres pitcher they got for him.

So far the deadline has basically been Billy, Friedman and Theo working everybody else.

I'm really excited for you, Duane. I live in downtown STL right now, and it's great to see people in KC Royals shirts. It's great to see KC fans have something to be enthusiastic about again.

There's a really big difference between a situation like KC fans circa 1990-2012 and Tampa Bay Rays fans circa forever; it's clear that KC fans were eager to root for the home team as soon as there was something to root for. Tampa Bay could probably be winning multiple world series titles and would still be drawing 10k fans per game.

I don't think you can ignore the fact that the Rays sucked really hard until Friedman saved them. Plus the stadium nobody wanted in the area nobody lived, the fact that they continue to move/suck, the erosion of the fans good will through years of heartbreak (Maddon and Friedman jumping ship most recently just the cherry on top). I don't think the Rays ever had a genuine chance to succeed in that market.

The deal is about the draft pick they just bought, has nothing really to do with Latos or Morse.

Castro isn't in the lineup for the Cubs tonight, all that's left is to announce which Padres pitcher they got for him.

So far the deadline has basically been Billy, Friedman and Theo working everybody else.

Latos makes sense to have on the staff, even though he sorta blows. Not sure what they'll do with Morse aside from cutting him though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Latos is a decent add, but the deal is about the draft pick. Which should be a good one considering how crappy they are.

Uh the deal is definitely about Latos. He's been solid the last 2 months. He is obviously going to bump Frias out of the rotation. His stuff is still solid and going to LA will help him look better. They bought a compensatory pick (#34) by taking Morse.

Uh the deal is definitely about Latos. He's been solid the last 2 months. He is obviously going to bump Frias out of the rotation. His stuff is still solid and going to LA will help him look better. They bought a compensatory pick by taking Morse.

No. The deal is about buying out Latos and Morse for a draft pick. They're just picking a pitcher they can either use as leverage in another deal (Heaney says hello) or if they can't get another deal, slot into the rotation as a low end replacement option.

The deal is about the pick.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No. The deal is about buying out Latos and Morse for a draft pick. They're just picking a pitcher they can either use as leverage in another deal (Heaney says hello) or if they can't get another deal, slot into the rotation as a low end replacement option.

The #34 pick in the draft is not worth what you think it is.

He was basically the equivalent of sending money for the pick. Latos might pitch a few games.

Latos was dealing with knee problems at the beginning of the season. Once he got healthy he looked much better, and he has been great the past few weeks. He will be a decent starter for them the rest of the season.

Also, the compensatory pick is #34 overall.

What HAVE you been reading? Or are we a little tipsy already today?

I think taking on Morse was about the pick. I think the Dodgers actually wanted Latos though. Their rotation outside of Grienke and Kersh is garbage.

Yes, the Dodgers, who have a shaky rotation to say the least outside of Kershaw and Greinke, have no interest in a SP rental who is underperforming his peripherals considerably

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Loria made a smart move here. Although its more about saving himself some money than actually trying to help the organization.

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. Between the trade today and the trade last week the Marlins dumped 9 million dollars worth of contract this season, and $8 million next season.

I would like to think that this money will be put to good use, but I know better.

Top Bottom