• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

3N16MA

Banned
Doc and Straw hung out with celebrities and a certain crowd in NY. I never hear of any of those issues with Ryan Howard and he's making bank at 1B.

Also, 300 Mil? You're really generous. Even Cano's big ass contract is the last one we'll see in a long time.

Boras wouldn't talk to a team offering Harper 300M.

EDIT: The race between AL MVP is very close. Trout is having the better season offensively while Donaldson has contributed more with his glove.

BFIB

We can survive the next 6 games without him. It's tough to see the Cards getting very far in the playoffs with Tony Cruz as the main guy though.

He's done all right. Only allowed 1 base stealer, hasn't had a passed ball.

Would it be tough w/o Molina? Absolutely, but we did OK last year w/o him.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Boras wouldn't talk to a team offering Harper 300M.

EDIT: The race between AL MVP is very close. Trout is having the better season offensively while Donaldson has contributed more with his glove.

Not sure about that:

Donaldson Trout
Avg .299 .297
OBP .373 .398
Hits 179 164
HR 41 40
2B 40 29
Runs 121 99
OPS .951 .983
RBI 122 88
WAR 8.9 8.8

The one of the biggest ones IMO, game winning RBIs - Donaldson 20 (including 3 walk off home runs), Trout 9

It's close but I don't see how Donaldson doesn't win it this year.

The one of the biggest ones IMO, game winning RBIs - Donaldson 20 (including 3 walk off home runs), Trout 9

Donaldson's ability to make the people ahead of him in the batting order get on base, surely using some form of telepathy, is certainly mind blowing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Donaldson's ability to make the people ahead of him in the batting order get on base, surely using some form of telepathy, is certainly mind blowing.

No one was on base when he won the game with a home run yesterday. Are you saying clutch game winning home runs are meaningless?

Not sure about that:

Donaldson Trout
Avg .299 .297
OBP .373 .398
Hits 179 164
HR 41 40
2B 40 29
Runs 121 99
OPS .951 .983
RBI 122 88
WAR 8.9 8.8

Using context dependent stats to judge an individual player lol.

You also have to consider that Angels Stadium (and most of the AL West parks) skew towards pitcher friendly. Rogers Centre (and most of the AL East parks) skew towards batter friendly.

StudioTan

Using context dependent stats to judge an individual player lol.

You also have to consider that Angels Stadium (and most of the AL West parks) skew towards pitcher friendly. Rogers Centre (and most of the AL East parks) skew towards batter friendly.

So which stats should we use? Cause Donaldson leads in most of them.

Also, most writers who vote are old school, RBIs and game winning hits matter.

Are you saying clutch game winning home runs are meaningless?

Yes. Unless you're Donruss.

th

3N16MA

Banned
Not sure about that:

Donaldson Trout
Avg .299 .297
OBP .373 .398
Hits 179 164
HR 41 40
2B 40 29
Runs 121 99
OPS .951 .983
RBI 122 88
WAR 8.9 8.8

Trout: .297/.398/.585, 175 OPS+, .412 wOBA, 171 wRC+

Donaldson: .299/.373/.578, 158 OPS+, .402 wOBA, 157 wRC+

You posted rWAR in which Trout has a greater oWAR than Donaldson. Donaldson's superior defensive contribution not offense has given him the edge over Trout.

It's close but Trout has been better on offensive. Runs and RBI are numbers that are dramatically impacted by team play and lineups. Harper has less runs and RBI than Donaldson while easily being the better player on offense.

You have to look at park factors which wRC+ takes into account.

Your analysis is 0 for 2.

Read the post above. Donaldson has also provided more value with his glove than Trout.

StudioTan

Trout: .297/.398/.585, 175 OPS+, .412 wOBA, 171 wRC+

Donaldson: .299/.373/.578, 158 OPS+, .402 wOBA, 157 wRC+

You posted rWAR in which Trout has a greater oWAR than Donaldson. Donaldson's superior defensive contribution not offense has given him the edge over Trout.

It's close but Trout has been better on offensive. Runs and RBI are numbers that are dramatically impacted by team play and lineups. Harper has less runs and RBI than Donaldson while easily being the better player on offense.

You have to look at park factors which wRC+ takes into account.

Fair enough. I still think Donaldson is the favorite, especially if LA doesn't make the playoffs.

What 3N16MA said re: wOBA and wRC+.

Most writers won't take those into account but I thought this discussion was about who you think should win.

No, it's about who I think WILL win. That's why I'm saying walk off home runs matter, they get voter's attention.

3N16MA

Banned
Fair enough. I still think Donaldson is the favorite, especially if LA doesn't make the playoffs.

No, it's about who I think WILL win. That's why I'm saying walk off home runs matter, they get voter's attention.

I also think he is the favourite. If voting took place today I think voters give it to Donaldson.

zroid

Banned
Hard to believe but all signs are pointing to Tulo coming back in time for the postseason. When you hear "fractured shoulder blade" it screams 1-2 months minimum, but this seems to be happening.

He had a really nice defensive year in 2012. But that's one year. His 3-year sample from 2013-2015 is bad.
I'm guessing he's lost a few steps since he bulked up?

According Inside Edge, he made 6/20 "remote" plays in 2012-13. For 2014-15, he's 0/18 for plays in the same category.

Can't wait until there's more Statcast info to improve the analysis of defense.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm guessing he's lost a few steps since he bulked up?

According Inside Edge, he made 6/20 "remote" plays in 2012-13. For 2014-15, he's 0/18 for plays in the same category.

Can't wait until there's more Statcast info to improve the analysis of defense.

I saw someone on Twitter, but can't remember who for sourcing, say that they timed Trout at 4.4 from home to first recently, which is fairly slow.

Beckx

The camera angles are so good for Root broadcasts at PNC.

But god MLBTV is going to drive me insane by kicking from the live broadcast to the beginning of the program on every single commercial break. Does anyone else have this problem?

Huh. Only the 6th time in MLB history that teams with 95+ wins have met for a series of 3 or more games this late in the season. Others were 1909 (pirates/cubs, pirates won WS :p), 85 (mets/cards), 85 (yankees/jays), 87 (jays/tigers), 01 (As/Mariners).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I just noticed the Reds are only a game behind Atlanta in the draft leaderboard. Please lose every game left Braves. Hopefully Freeman doesn't play again.

Beckx

<3 Heyward

Surprised Marte tested his arm but not Piscotty's.

I think that was the coaching staff/Hurdle more than Marte. Probably figured that it was better than seeing what Happ could do.

Still though, that was shallow, damn.

Edit well, looking at the replay maybe Marte did just figure he'd gamble. He's fast enough that the play was still close.

I really hate the ability of the Pirates to pick up pitchers off the scrap heap and make them good

Is this what people felt when Dave Duncan was kinda doing the same thing with the Cards?

edit: like it's not even like JA Happ was ever good or anything, he's always sucked but is suddenly pitching to a 2.25 FIP this season

And people say the Cardinals have devil magic

Top Bottom