• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

you sound like a cry baby, just like Donaldson. I'd get back in the box and try hit a homerun, it's head games! the whole point is to psyche you out. Donaldson knows he crowds the plate but he needs to sell to the ump that he's a victim. pitchers job is to make the hitters uncomfortable up there.

I saw what happened, Jays hitters like to crows the plate and think no one should come in inside to them. Red Sox used to do that against the Yankees a lot. it would drive me insane that Yankee pitchers would not throw inside to Manny Ramirez or Ortiz. there are consequences to crowding the plate.

HAHAHA I love it. more of this please.
like I said before, Blue Jays are getting way too chirpy for a team that's 2 over .500. take over one of the wild card spots and then we'll talk.

edit: also, go Mets.

Jays know pitchers are coming inside on them. It happens all the time and they don't say anything. It's the warnings issued that started the problems.

Volquez basically admitted to throwing at Donaldson for 'pimping' earlier in the series.

That being said, I do think Jays' fans need to cool their jets. I think we can get that wild card spot but I won't start talking about the east until after the Yank's series next week.

They basically have a shot for at least tying for a wild card spot today.

Edit: Ventura is a shit head as well.

If Brian Johnson is called up as expected to replace Joe Kelly, the Sox rotation will consist of four lefties and a knuckleballer. With three rookies

Scheduled starters against NYY

LHP Henry Owens (making his ML debut)
RHP Steven Wright (knuckler)
LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (rookie)

This will be interesting

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Loving the fact that the Astros keep winning. Back in May I was sure they were getting lucky, and was sure they would take a sharp drop down the standings.

Correa is 20 and the best player on the team. Can't wait till Springer comes back into the lineup, the trades were nice and a let the fans here in town now that Jim Crane isn't going to be afraid to spend the money when it's time.

Still can't get over the fact of how good Correa is, he has that "it". The last few years sucked, but things are looking nice now.

Welcome brother, to The Church of Correa.

Praise be unto him.

ShaneB

Just a bit of cross posting from the reading thread... finished reading 'Out of my League' by Dirk Hayhurst last night. Enjoyed it plenty, but took a bit to really hit a stride since it did focus a lot on his personal life at first, and Bullpen Gospels was much funnier throughout. Really enjoying Dirk Hayhurst's books, so I'll certainly read the third sometime too, especially since it picks up with his Blue Jays days, so I'll have even more familiarity with it.

zroid

Banned
Steve Dangle Glynn ‏@Steve_Dangle 18h18 hours ago

When I was an intern with @FAN590 I was in an Edinson Volquez postgame scrum where he had a huge booger on his face and nobody told him.

After the scrum was done a reporter told him. Volquez wiped the thumb-sized booger off his face and asked "Why didn't you guys tell me?"

volquez.0.gif

Spent the weekend in Houston going to the 3 game set against the Dbacks.

Minute Maid was jumping. Great to see so much excitement and... orange. Best decision was to bring back the old colors and logo. So much gear on people in the park.

Correa is the real deal. Man. Reminds me a lot of Trout in his rookie year. I'm a believer. Altuve is really fun to watch in the field and when he hits. Gomez got an okay welcome from the crowd but nothing too enthusiastic. The area around Minute Maid is still a pit. The only real interesting food stuff in the park is a stand selling kimchi fries (barf) and fried chicken and mashed potatoes served in a waffle cone. Oh, and Fancy Lawnmower by Saint Arnold Brewing Co is a fantastic Kolsch if you're into that kind of thing.

Oh, and it was Craig Biggio weekend and Craig Biggio never showed up. Thought that was weird.

The Dbacks played Cliff Pennington every game, Tomas got yanked for not hustling, Goldschmidt was gawd awful at the plate and Nick Ahmed misplayed 3 balls badly. Not a good series for the Dbacks.

Anyways, good place to catch some games. Orbit is bigtime.

So... why the fuck is Ventura so mad?

He's 24, pitching in the big leagues on a great team, making a cool half mil... and dude is just so angry. Reminds me of Joey Belle.

Dude, Yordano, you don't gotta be so mad all the time.

Its pretty unbelievable that I currently dislike the Royals much more than the Dodgers, but here we are. I can't wait until they lose in the playoffs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
sad but true.
The Cardinals have had internal discussions during manager Mike Matheny’s tenure about when, if ever, they would consider using the closer earlier than the ninth, when perhaps the true save situation is the eighth inning against the heart of the order.
The closer might not get the stat. The team would get the win.

Matheny said Sunday it’s appealing, but the save stat cannot be ignored.

“You want to be respectful, too, to what these guys are trying to do individually,” Matheny said. “For us as a team to move forward certain things need to happen and a lot of times it’s trying to create an atmosphere where each of these guys are able to achieve everything, and there are contracts involved. There are personal statistics that help drive personal achievement as far as salaries go. For us to be completely oblivious to that, I think is a mistake as well.

“Then you start having some friction,” Matheny continued. “There are outside influences that are constantly pushing these guys toward the statistics that are going to get them paid someday, right?”

Cardinals closer Trevor Rosenthal earned an All-Star invitation this season and has been among the league leaders in saves all season. He used to annually talk about wanting to be a starter someday, but that conversation has faded as he’s had success in the ninth inning and also been told how much money can be earned in that role as he reaches arbitration. He will be eligible for the first time this winter. The backbone of any closer’s arbitration case is saves; newcomers Steve Cishek and Jonathan Broxton have both seen their salaries inflate in their turns as closers for Miami and the Dodgers, respectively.

Matheny, sitting in the dugout hours before Sunday’s game, said the stat itself is arbitrary. (“Why a three-run lead?” he asked, rhetorically, “and not a two-run lead?”) But it has influence over decisions because it has importance to the team.

“Guys are compensated for that and for us to turn a blind eye to that is not looking for what’s best for all of our guys,” Matheny said. “Complex answer, but I think it’s a complex question. I think the salary structure might start to differ because of this conversation and that would be possibly good. … What it comes down to is winning. We also believe that we have guys who can get us through those tough innings.”

A year ago, the Cardinals had Carlos Martinez assigned to the eighth inning, but in a game against Pittsburgh, Matheny went to the young reliever early because the middle of the Pirates’ lineup came up and the game was in doubt. It makes sense, the manager said, to use the best relievers at the moment they can most alter the outcome of the game. A way to do that while also being respectful of the save stat — and the pressures of the final three outs, Matheny stressed — is to have other options as reliable as the team’s closer.

That’s the flexibility he hopes to have with the trade-deadline additions of Cishek and Broxton. They join lefty Kevin Siegrist and righthander Seth Maness as four pitchers Matheny said he can shuffle through the bridge innings based on matchup. It’s not necessarily going to be one reliever assigned each of the final three innings as it was when Edward Mujica was a seventh-inning man in 2012. Instead it could be the chance to use the reliever throwing the best at the point in the game when outs are crucial, even if a save won’t be awarded.

“You’re going to see that with us now,” Matheny said. “I think you’re going to see juggling in the set-up roles. The argument always comes back to who is your best reliever and do you want them in there against the best part of the order? And the answer is, you know, all things considered, yes. But there are things from the outside that influence that decision. What we’ve been able to do with the front office re-arming our bullpen is have more flexibility.”
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_92da9db5-ecb9-591d-9939-e1d2e2762f8a.html

Good first impression by Latos last night. Definitely better than some of the scrubs that have cycled through the back end of the Dodgers' rotation this year.

The Jays/Royals salt is INCREDIBLE

Day later I have some sympathies for Wolf. He went the lenient route with Volquez, but probably should've tossed him when, as Donaldson was going to 1st, it became clear than it was intentional.

zroid

Banned
The Jays/Royals salt is INCREDIBLE

Day later I have some sympathies for Wolf. He went the lenient route with Volquez, but probably should've tossed him when, as Donaldson was going to 1st, it became clear than it was intentional.

I don't really know where it came from. Up till now Jays were only ever really salty with other AL East teams. But for some reason Royals seem to get into spats with just about everyone? It's weird.

At the Jays game. Price is getting an ovation while doing sprints.

Crowd is going to collectively come together when he actually pitches.

A fucking standing ovation from my section while he sprints.

The thing that gets me about that article, and what some Royals fans outside of GAF, have been saying what is essentially this:

Many Blue Jays fans seem adamant about this being a potential playoff preview. Maybe they should focus on getting within two games of a playoff spot first.

Gee, a team that has been at best mediocre and at worst utter garbage for nearly the entire 2000's just went out and got arguably the best SS in the game when healthy, and got one of the best pitchers in the league. Can't help it if we are experiencing a modicum of fucking hope and optimism for once. God know's the Royals went through the same thing down this stretch last year.

zroid

Banned
The thing that gets me about that article, and what some Royals fans outside of GAF, have been saying what is essentially this:

Gee, a team that has been at best mediocre and at worst utter garbage for nearly the entire 2000's just went out and got arguably the best SS in the game when healthy, and got one of the best pitchers in the league. Can't help it if we are experiencing a modicum of fucking hope and optimism for once. God know's the Royals went through the same thing down this stretch last year.

No optimism allowed, buddy. Sorry.

Most commentators think it's the most talented in the AL (as currently constructed)? Doesn't matter bro! Sit yo ass down

Parch

Batista takes the high road responding to Ventura's nonsense. Classy vs classless.

But Zaun, he's still fuming and ready to go old school on Ventura's face. Blue Jays have a hired goon if they need one.

wbsmcs

One year ago today they actually held a wild card spot :'(

Top Bottom