• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take Mookie off the Red Sox and that's still an 87-89 win team. You act like he willed his teammates to be better thank Trout's.

I don't understand where this stupid idea that the MVP has to come from a winning team came from. Trout is the best player in the game and it's not really close. The Red Sox would trade Betts for Trout in a cocaine heartbeat. How else do you measure value?

Trout is so good that Betts for Trout isn't even a 1 for 1 trade you could make without being laughed at.

Do you think Dexter Fowler will be more than a 1 win player per season over the next four years?

He had a career year last year at age 30. He isn't holding that production. Most likely set for a correction.

$10m/yr maybe. Certainly no more than $12m.

But Cubs got Cubs money, and on a team with Heyward any other possible deal would look good so maybe they do give him 4 / $64m. Would be dumb, but sure why not.

either you don't know who fowler is or you think he's like 34
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4062&position=OF

yes, i feel extremely confident about him putting up more than 4 wins over the next 4 seasons

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Reasoning I can give you. I just don't think that ultimately, an MVP should be given to a player on a team that ultimately, didn't do anything. Trout's skillset is game changing, absolutely, but he was on a team that was one of the worst in all the AL. I believe that an MVP should, at the very least should be for a player that, with his performance, helps bring his team, if not into the playoffs, then pretty damn close. And Trout, for all his world class ability, didn't do that considering the Angels finished under .500.
No.

trout is the mvp. i don't care about the award for best player who was lucky enough to be on a team that finished in the top third of the standings.

it's not an award for which team made the best use of a player's value. if you replaced betts with trout, the red sox would have been better. easy peasy.

Baseball is not a team sport in the sense basketball and football are. LeBron makes his teammates better. A great QB or OL makes his teammates better. Baseball doesn't work that way, at least not anywhere near as directly. It makes the arguments for having an MVP have to come from a playoff team even dumber. There is ZERO doubt that if you switch Mike Trout for Mookie Betts, the Red Sox would be a better team. How is he not more valuable? In comparing individual players (which is what individual awards like the MVP are for) there is absolutely no tangible or reasonable metric by which someone can make the case for Mookie Betts being better or more valuable than Mike Trout.

Baseball is not a team sport in the sense basketball and football are. LeBron makes his teammates better. A great QB or OL makes his teammates better. Baseball doesn't work that way, at least not anywhere near as directly. It makes the arguments for having an MVP have to come from a playoff team even dumber. There is ZERO doubt that if you switch Mike Trout for Mookie Betts, the Red Sox would be a better team. How is he not more valuable? In comparing individual players (which is what individual awards like the MVP are for) there is absolutely no tangible or reasonable metric by which someone can make the case for Mookie Betts being better or more valuable than Mike Trout.

Alllllllllllllll this.

Mike Trout is an objectively better player than Mookie Betts, just like he was an objectively better player than Miggy.

He's on pace to have a top-5 career in the history of the sport, he should be MVP this year, it's not his fault nor did anything he do cause his team to be full of complete crap around him.

Parch

Do you think Dexter Fowler will be more than a 1 win player per season over the next four years?
He had a career year last year at age 30. He isn't holding that production. Most likely set for a correction.
Not a lot of players like Fowler on the market though. Perhaps it was a career year that won't be repeated, but he's going to get paid. If you're expecting to get Fowler for a bargain price, don't count on it.

Mike Trout is so valuable that he's untradable not because of how good he is, but because he's so good that you could never get equitable value in return without a team literally gutting its farm system for him.

Mookie Betts isn't that good.

Mike Trout is the MVP. Doesn't matter if his team came in last. Andre Dawson was the MVP on 1987 for the same reasons.

either you don't know who fowler is or you think he's like 34
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4062&position=OF

yes, i feel extremely confident about him putting up more than 4 wins over the next 4 seasons

Man the next post I read from you that doesn't read as though you're spitting with disgust will be the first.

BigAT

Verlander is like, "Bitch, I got more seasons to play!"

Justin Verlander ‏@JustinVerlander
Just want to say thank you to all the @officialBBWAA who voted for me.

Mike Trout is the MVP. Doesn't matter if his team came in last. Andre Dawson was the MVP on 1987 for the same reasons.

Man the next post I read from you that doesn't read as though you're spitting with disgust will be the first.

haha the post that started this conversation was your bizarre hyperbolic disgust for fowler potentially getting a 4 year deal.

Friggz

that andre dawson win might be the worst MVP winner ever. lol.

55NyF5M.jpg

Verlander was left off two ballots.
Why is Kate Upton freaking out over this? Is she fucking the wrong Verlander? The list says JASON, not JUSTIN.

Mike Trout will forever be baseball's Dan Marino.

that andre dawson win might be the worst MVP winner ever. lol.

Maybe. He was still the most valuable player on a team. Without Dawson the 87 Cubs may have been worse than the 62 Mets.

haha the post that started this conversation was your bizarre hyperbolic disgust for fowler potentially getting a 4 year deal.

Wasn't disgust. Just a colossal waste of money. Good for him if he gets it. Just never fails to surprise me that such supposedly smart people like GMs are so willing to waste so much money. That's all.

Maybe. He was still the most valuable player on a team. Without Dawson the 87 Cubs may have been worse than the 62 Mets.

Wasn't disgust. Just a colossal waste of money. Good for him if he gets it. Just never fails to surprise me that such supposedly smart people like GMs are so willing to waste so much money. That's all.

turns 31 right before the season starts, averaged 4 wins over the last 2 seasons, 2.8 wins over the last 5, doesn't carry the additional inherent risk of being a pitcher, has a skill set likely to age well, has seen legitimate defensive improvements due to positioning, etc.

at something like 4 years and 12-15m per, he is a very safe bet to provide adequate value. if you seriously find this to be "madness" and a "colossal waste of money", then you must just not want your team to participate in free agency at all.

p.s. you just immediately contradicted yourself with the dawson thing.

BFIB

MVP Predictions?

NL: Chris Bryant
AL: Mike Trout. You know, that guy that plays for the Angels of Anaheim of California of these United States.

at something like 4 years and 12-15m per, he is a very safe bet to provide adequate value. if you seriously find this to be "madness" and a "colossal waste of money", then you must just not want your team to participate in free agency at all.

I was saying paying him $9m per win for 2 win seasons for 4 years (4/$72m) would be madness.

I'm also an A's fan, so no I don't expect my team to participate in free agency outside of finding reclamation projects like Rich Hill and turning them into gold.

Let me quote myself:

Going to $15m is a crazy stretch and very high risk. $12m is fine, but at the very top end of what I'd think prudent for a player of his caliber.

p.s. you just immediately contradicted yourself with the dawson thing.

Have no idea what you're talking about. Dawson was paid $700k in 1987 thanks to collusion and was worth 4 wins. He was the MVP thanks to that price/win ratio in context to his performance.

Not a lot of players like Fowler on the market though. Perhaps it was a career year that won't be repeated, but he's going to get paid. If you're expecting to get Fowler for a bargain price, don't count on it.

Of course he won't be a bargain, not after the World Series win. I expect some team will overpay for his "playing the game the right way" and his "being a winner".

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The "Trout should have more MVPs" discussion just shows how little things have changed. Even someone like Bonds should have had a bunch more MVPs, but during the seasons the Giants were terrible he was lucky to have broke the top 5 in votes despite having comparable (if not better) numbers to the first place winner. Even with the home run record barrage of the late 90s, aside from the HR numbers Bonds was right there in OPS and superior in defense and SBs.

He only won or placed runner-up in the seasons his teams were in playoff contention.

And yes, that Terry Pendleton MVP is still bullshit! ;P

jbug617

Banned
Astros trade for Brian McCann
@EvanDrellich: Astros trade for Brian McCann: RHPs Albert Abreu and Jorge Guzman from Houston McCann and cash.
@Buster_ESPN: The Yankees are kicking in $5.5 million of the $17 million McCann will make each of the next two seasons.

Ken Rosenthal says the Astros, Yankees and Red Sox are going after Beltran.

I don't really understand why the Yankees were hellbent on unloading McCann. His contract is not outrageous and he would have still gotten a lot of playing time as of now.

Malo

Banned
Astros trade for Brian McCann

Ken Rosenthal says the Astros, Yankees and Red Sox are going after Beltran.
Like what I'm reading about Abreu. Seems like a decent return. Bye Mac!
I don't really understand why the Yankees were hellbent on unloading McCann. His contract is not outrageous and he would have still gotten a lot of playing time as of now.
They got a decent return for him and he was going to be the back up catcher/dh with us. This also frees up the DH spot and allows us to go after Beltran.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Bobby Abreu.

Left unprotected for the expansion draft (Devil Rays) and they ended up trading him to the Phillies for Kevin Stocker.

Oh that's right...

On another note.

@JeffPassan
Sources: Astros aren't done after trading for Brian McCann. They're still looking to shore up their lineup, could finalize free agent soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom