• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman

Top pirates pitching prospect Tyler Glasnow almost has to be in proposed deals for quintana. Pitts unlikely to deal Meadows

We did, but it was more or less a 'courtesy' contract offer, and I would not be surprised if the Jays care more about the two picks then signing EE or Bautista.

Whether this is Atkins and Shapiro deciding to hold off on spending big and going for 2018's FA class after begging Rogers for a big payroll bump, or this is a new round of penny pinching ordered by Rogers, I don't know. I certainly hope it is the former.

your new avatar disturbs me

Beckx

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman

Top pirates pitching prospect Tyler Glasnow almost has to be in proposed deals for quintana. Pitts unlikely to deal Meadows

yeah, was guessing at this earlier in the week.

Taillon's performance last year (demonstrating full recovery & fact he's ready now) made Glasnow movable.

Parch

EE should of taken that 4 years 80 mil.
Damn right he should have. Edwin's agent was on Jeff Blair's show on Tuesday and sounded really desperate trying to explain why he turned down the Jay's offer. Total spin mode. They got greedy and expected monster offers. Didn't happen and nobody else was going to offer him more than 3 years.

I'm not going to give the Jays a free pass on this either. There was no reason to be so hasty and sign Morales so quick. A little patience and there's a good chance Edwin comes back after he gets his other offers. Then signing Pearce completely sealed the deal that Edwin wasn't coming back.

One thing his agent emphasized was that Encarnacion really wanted to remain a Blue Jay, but Jays signing those two was a big disappointment for him.

RBH

Hell yeah

Also comes with a club option for a 6th year:

there is an option for a 6th year on Ender's big deal #braves @Enderdavid18
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/812303344077246464

Breakdown of Inciarte deal with #Braves, per source: $3.5M signing bonus. Salaries of $2M, $4M, $5M, $7M, $8M; $9M option or $1.025 buyout.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/812305388158722050

092116_inciartevine_ed_njyrj83s.gif

051016_atl_inciarte_deke_doubleplay_medres_xej7kkgw.gif

From dream chaser to breadwinner: Dae-Ho Lee searches for team that respects his value

After spending an experimental 2016 season with the Seattle Mariners as a 34-year-old rookie, slugger Lee Dae-ho has become realistic.

In the face of making choices about what team he can play for in the 2017 season, Lee said he’s looking for a baseball club that guarantees him a full-time position with treatment equal to his experience and performance.

Lee said he still remains undecided about the team he will play for but stressed that good working conditions are the most important criteria when choosing his team. “I’ll make a decision based on treatment from the team,” he said in a recent interview. “My agent is working hard to find the best team for me and I’m waiting for good news while focusing on workouts.”

The 2016 season was experimental for Lee. He signed a $5 million, one-year contract with the Mariners at the expense of his former team in the Japanese baseball league Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, which made him an attractive offer of 1.6 billion yen ($13.6 million) for three years.

Playing in the Major League Baseball was something he had longed for since he was a child.

To chase his childhood dream, the star athlete was determined to invest a year to play in the MLB as a rookie, rather than becoming the highest-paid foreign baseball player in the Japanese league.

He said he wanted to see if he was viable in the world’s toughest league and also make the most of the contract to prove himself as a strong athlete who deserves a full-time contract with one of the MLB clubs.

After returning to Korea in October following the season, he said he would like to seek a baseball career that can go along with his duties as a breadwinner and father of two children.

He said he was happy in the MLB but had no intention of playing under a platoon arrangement again as he did with the Mariners. Under the time-sharing scheme, two players, usually left- and right-handed players, are chosen to play a single defensive position.

He batted .253, with 14 home runs and 49 RBIs in 104 games.

In a co-authored book, “Thanks, Baseball,” Lee said 2016 was “the most intensive year” in his life.

“It was the hardest year but at the same time the happiest one,” he wrote. “I had been struggling all during the season but it was my most joyful experience ... Baseball became an object to overcome, not something that I could enjoy as I did before, after joining MLB. I felt I was like a warrior fighting on the battlefield. I had never been like this.”

After a year with the Mariners, the free agent said he realized men are supposed to be where they are needed, rather than where they want.

He was negative about the possibility of playing in the Major Leagues as a platoon athlete again.

“I’m afraid I will be an irresponsible father and breadwinner if I explore my career like that again,” he said.

But he opened the Major League option and said he’s willing to play for a team in the U.S. if the club treats him based on his experience and performance. “If a full-time position and the right treatment are not guaranteed, I would need time to think about the offer seriously.”

Baseball analyst Choi Won-ho said it’s difficult for players to prove themselves under the platoon arrangement.

“Their chances for playing in games are low and this makes it difficult for even sluggers like Lee to pull together great performances in Major League Baseball,” he said.

Lee also has kept his options open in the Korean and Japanese baseball leagues.

Hurdles, however, stand in the way of his choice of teams.

In the Korean Baseball Organization, contract money is a major obstacle for national clubs to hire the slugger. Lee is reportedly interested in his former team, the Lotte Giants.

It remains uncertain whether the Giants will be able to offer him a contract high enough to keep the slugger sticking around.

The Japanese professional baseball league is the most eager to sign a contract with Lee, who played in the league from 2011 to 2015 before he headed to the Seattle Mariners earlier this year.

According to Japanese media outlets, four teams — Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, Chiba Lotte Marines, Orix Buffaloes and Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles — are seriously considering signing a contract with Lee.

He was a star in Japanese baseball. During his four years there, Lee hit 98 homers with 348 RBIs.

In 2015, he won the MVP award in the Japan Series after he hit a two-run homer and helped the Hawks to achieve a 5-0 win over the Tokyo Yakult Swallows at the Jingu Stadium in Tokyo. The Hawks won the series.

Beckx

no send him to the Central, not the Pacific!

anyway,

‏@BrianBilek_
#WhiteSox are in trade talks on a "complex" deal they want to get done by Christmas. Nothing finalized but names & scope of deal are fluid.

@BrianBilek_
3 way trade would entail Quintana to #Pirates, McCucthen to #Yankees and a package of prospects that's headlined by Glasnow to #WhiteSox.

Interesting interview with Braves GM Coppolella on MLB Network Radio this morning.

Dude must have talked about "getting back to the Braves way" and citing Cox/Schierholtz repeatedly. Really sounds like they're going about this rebuild in the most Braves way possible.

Also some interesting takes on bringing in the old pitchers to both allow for knowledge transfer but also for competition. They're really betting that the older guys will set up the young pitchers for the rest of their careers.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman

the problem with that interesting pitts-nyy-cws rumor is if yanks trade prospects, they'd want quintana, not an OF

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Interesting interview with Braves GM Coppolella on MLB Network Radio this morning.

Dude must have talked about "getting back to the Braves way" and citing Cox/Schierholtz repeatedly. Really sounds like they're going about this rebuild in the most Braves way possible.

Also some interesting takes on bringing in the old pitchers to both allow for knowledge transfer but also for competition. They're really betting that the older guys will set up the young pitchers for the rest of their careers.
Yeah they have spewing the braves way bullshit since wren left. Also, not sure if the skills of one pitch wonders Colon and Dickey are transferable, but here's hoping.

Yeah they have spewing the braves way bullshit since wren left. Also, not sure if the skills of one pitch wonders Colon and Dickey are transferable, but here's hoping.

Dude was talking more about the old guys showing the young guys their approaches to staying in the game so long. Why do you call it bullshit? Seems to be a good philosophy to build around and it seems to be working?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The extension for Inciarte is going to make trading him in 2-3 seasons when Ronald Acuña or Cristian Pache are ready a pretty slick move.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Justin Turner deal official: 4M sign bonus, salaries of 12M, 11M, 18M and 19M. JT will donate 1 pct salary to club charity

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman
Revere goes to angels, 4M base plus incentives

TR Sullivan ‏@Sullivan_Ranger
Rangers and Napoli both have a strong desire for reunion...Deal is not close but the discussions are on-going and headed in that direction

That's like, almost twice as much. Wow.

Can't really call his agent incompetent anymore if he was still able to get those kind of offers after turning down the og blue jays offer.

Still, considering the sort of limbo Oakland is in with regard to their stadium situation, and how blatantly the new CBA basically shuts down their most consistent money stream in terms of money sharing agreements, I think a Cespedes type deal was the only way they could compete. Queso, prove me wrong though.

Also, Tim Micallef on Tim & Sid talking about loyalty for pro athletes in regards to Edwin right now, get the fuck out of here with this horseshite. There is and shouldn't be loyalty owed to sports, it is like any other job: you go where the money takes you. You know what you should be talking about, Tim & Sid? How your employers, aka the owners of the team, are penny pinching the fuck out of this team and handicapping this team.

lol, somebody just called out Tim & Sid for being 'Rogers puppets' in regards to Edwin

Good. I wish there was more people in the media that would call out Rogers in regards to the Jays. Not even TSN, with their ties to Bell, are even close to putting the spotlight on them.

Still, considering the sort of limbo Oakland is in with regard to their stadium situation, and how blatantly the new CBA basically shuts down their most consistent money stream in terms of money sharing agreements, I think a Cespedes type deal was the only way they could compete. Queso, prove me wrong though.

What does any of this have to do with the Padres?

Oakland? More like nope...land riiight?

But what if he turns into Edgar Martinez?

There's only one Edgar.

I was actually thinking today what the modern equivalent would be of Griffey, ARod, Edgar, and Big Unit all being on the same team would be. Would it be like Trout, Correa, Miguel Cabrera and Clayton Kershaw all on one team?

Jonah Keri on TSN 1050: Jays made a terrible move not resigning Edwin

This should be noted, however, by Keri in regards to Michael Brantley:

Hogan: So with Cleveland, they get Encarnacion, they get Brantley back, they get, for the most part you would assume a healthier rotation if they get to the postseason, they get Miller for a full season. Are they now surpassed [sic] Boston as the favorite, or do you still see the Red Sox atop the heap if you were to do these power ratings again?

Keri: Let me start with this: I've got some sources, if you're in a fantasy league, don't draft Michael Brantley, that's my piece of advice to you. I don't think Michael Brantley is going to be a significant contributor in 2017. I actually have to worry that he might ever be. This is a horrific, horrifically bad injury, so, I never say never, but it's not good what's going on, and they kinda tried to [be like] "Oh, it turned out to be more serious than it was". Nah dude, there's so problem.

So it makes sense that if Cleveland got wind that Brantley's labrum is that fucked up, that they suddenly went aggressive on EE.

So do the jays blow it up if mid season magic doesnt happen?

It depends on what they do in 2018's FA class. Really, it depends on whether or not Shapiro and Atkins can convince Rogers that next year's FA class doesn't come around often, and they can really open up the purse strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom