• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
on Mike Napoli

The Rangers have always admired Napoli’s leadership skills, as did the Indians a year ago, and the Red Sox before that. Napoli had a career year with 34 homers and 101 RBIs last season, but he finds himself looking for a job. The Orioles are also said to have interest if they can’t reunite with Mark Trumbo.

And speaking of ol' Trumbo...

Unless Trumbo comes down on his salary demands he will not be with the Orioles, the team with whom he revived his career last season, leading the AL with 47 home runs and 108 RBIs. The Orioles won’t break the bank on a four-year deal and they like the idea of getting a draft pick if another team (Colorado?) signs him. The Orioles keep insisting they’re not interested in Jose Bautista because of the bat-flipping incident, but he makes the most sense for that lineup. The Orioles are seriously considering a Trey Mancini/Pedro Alvarez platoon.

Ex Rangers pitcher John Barfield dies after shooting in Arkansas

John Barfield, a left-hander from Arkansas who pitched three seasons for the Texas Rangers beginning in 1989, died in a shooting in Little Rock, police and family members said. He was 52.

Police said Barfield was fatally shot Dec. 24 after an altercation with an acquaintance in downtown Little Rock. William Goodman, 59, of Pine Bluff is being held in the Pulaski County jail on preliminary charges of first-degree murder in connection with Barfield's death, which has been classified as a homicide. Court records do not list an attorney for Goodman.

Barfield was a native of Pine Bluff and led his high school team to a state championship, then played at a community college in Missouri and at Oklahoma City University. He was drafted in the 11th round by the Rangers in 1986.

Barfield's sister, Debra Hudson, tells the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that she is devastated by her brother's death, saying he was not an aggressive person and that he had a loving personality.

''He had the kindest heart of any human I had ever known,'' Hudson said.

She said Barfield was a fierce competitor on the field but was always willing to sign autographs for young fans.

''We will always be proud of him,'' she said.

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred sits down with the Daily News to discuss the future of baseball

On someday using automated technology rather than an umpire to call balls and strikes:

“I think we’re a long way from that, in terms of the technology. I think people are misled by the boxes that are put up on the screen during the broadcasts: they are not an accurate reflection of the strike zone from batter to batter. I think our umpires do a phenomenal job in getting balls and strikes right. Going back to when Sandy Alderson was here — over the last 15 years we have dramatically improved the accuracy and consistency of the strike zone.”

On whether it’s good for baseball when the Yankees have a championship-caliber team:

“Yeah, they’re one of the iconic franchises, so it is good. You don’t want them to win every year, obviously. You want there to be a balance. But they can be a compelling storyline in the postseason.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mlb-commish-rob-manfred-talks-news-baseball-future-article-1.2924681

curious to know why the yankees wouldnt eat more contract to lessen the prospect blow.

I honestly would not be surprised if the Yanks are cutting their teeth in regards to frugality in order to take over the 2018 FA class by storm. If it means letting the White Sox have a few more prospects, so be it.

Friggz

I honestly would not be surprised if the Yanks are cutting their teeth in regards to frugality in order to take over the 2018 FA class by storm. If it means letting the White Sox have a few more prospects, so be it.

i know...and that drives me nuts considering the one advantage the yankees have over everyone else is financial resources.

zulux21

Frazier, Mateo and Abreu for Quintana and Robertson. Then flip Betances at the trade deadline.

I don't think that is enough for Quinatana alone let alone both of them.

if it wasn't enough to land chris sale it isn't enough to land quintana, there is zero reason why the white sox would accept less than a sale package for quinatana given he is just as good and has more control.

would likely need to add Miguel Andujar and Donny Sands for both of them.

to be fair I still doubt quintana will get moved as i doubt anyone sends a Chris Sale package for him despite the fact that he is just as good with more control just because he doesn't have the brand name sale does.

Brand name ultimately doesn't matter.

If Hahn gets a good package, he'll pull the trigger.

zulux21

Brand name ultimately doesn't matter.

If Hahn gets a good package, he'll pull the trigger.

uh....
the point of bringing up brand name is that he won't get that package.

if someone offers a sale like package yes quintana will be gone.

the issue with his brand name is it is unlikely anyone will do that.

thus brand name totally matters.

beyond that the red sox can bank on getting some extra money back from selling chris sale merch.

the same isn't really true for quintana.

Malo

Banned
I don't think that is enough for Quinatana alone let alone both of them.

if it wasn't enough to land chris sale it isn't enough to land quintana, there is zero reason why the white sox would accept less than a sale package for quinatana given he is just as good and has more control.

would likely need to add Miguel Andujar and Donny Sands for both of them.
Quintana isn't going to get the same package as Sale. And sands? Done.

zulux21

Quintana isn't going to get the same package as Sale. And sands? Done.

if he isn't going to get the same package, he isn't going to move.
it's that simple.
and thus why I don't think he will move.

without sale standing there to keep quintana hidden in the shadows, no doubt he will get more noticed over the next year. his form is very smooth, and he is very consistent so there isn't much risk of injury or regression.

and heck it's not like next year's team can do worse with run support than he has gotten the last few years.

Jonah Keri on TSN 1050: Jays made a terrible move not resigning Edwin

This should be noted, however, by Keri in regards to Michael Brantley:

An update to this story, straight from the horse's mouth on the official Indians subreddit:

Our GM/Pres of Baseball Ops have said we expect him to begin swinging a bat in December and we expect him to be ready for Spring Training.
If that changes, we'll let everyone know.
(PS: We personally saw Michael every day for a month at Progressive Field, working out and strengthening. He hardly looked like someone who had a horrific injury or was discouraged or whatever. For whatever that's worth.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/WahoosTipi/comments/5k2s6u/around_the_7_min_mark_jonah_keri_a_very_reliable/dboc2pp/

Adding on:

Nipping this in the bud before it becomes A Thing -- this isn't us vs. Jonah Keri, who we love.
All we commented -- and Chris Antonetti/Mike Chernoff do not run our Reddit account -- was that the last those guys publicly said was that we expect him to progress and participate in Spring activities.
Surely this topic will be discussed ad nauseum in the coming weeks.
Carry on, Happy New Year, see you on the roast thread, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/5klv62/indians_dismiss_brantley_horrific_injury_rumors/dbovffa/

Damn right he should have. Edwin's agent was on Jeff Blair's show on Tuesday and sounded really desperate trying to explain why he turned down the Jay's offer. Total spin mode. They got greedy and expected monster offers. Didn't happen and nobody else was going to offer him more than 3 years.

I'm not going to give the Jays a free pass on this either. There was no reason to be so hasty and sign Morales so quick. A little patience and there's a good chance Edwin comes back after he gets his other offers. Then signing Pearce completely sealed the deal that Edwin wasn't coming back.

One thing his agent emphasized was that Encarnacion really wanted to remain a Blue Jay, but Jays signing those two was a big disappointment for him.

Edwin wouldn't have come back, he was waiting for the bidding war that never came.

If you propose to the girl and she wanted to test the free market, do you wait? Or do you move the fuck on like a man? We moved the fuck on, sure we settled but it was our choice, we didn't grovel just to be rejected again.

Beckx

mail's here, mail's here

my Fighters gear arrived! Arihara jersey/T, Nippon Champions T-shirt, Ohtani 165 km/h shirt, and Ohtani 165 km/h framed/limited photo

C0uVpAJW8AA1p-m.jpg

C0uVpn5XUAIh7zJ.jpg

The color scheme of the Fighters reminds me way too much of the 90's and early 2000's Capitals uniforms.

Hell, even the font looks exactly the same too.

I will let the title of this article say everything:

LaRoche, Boyer went undercover to rescue Asian sex slaves in offseason

Former MLB player Adam LaRoche most notably made headlines this spring by retiring in the face of a locker-room controversy that involved him having his son in the clubhouse more than White Sox management preferred. Brewers reliever Blaine Boyer is likely only known by die-hard baseball fans.

This past offseason, however, the duo did something much more intense and important than anything they could do by playing a game for a living: They went undercover in Southest Asia for 10 days with hidden cameras to help rescue some very young sex slaves.

Working through a nonprofit called the Exodus Road, LaRoche and Boyer conducted surveillance in brothels and tried to determine the age of the girls -- known only by numbers pinned to bikinis -- and identify their bosses.

"Something huge happened there for us," Boyer says. "You can't explain it. Can't put your finger on it. If you make a wrong move, you're getting tossed off a building. We were in deep, man, but that's the way it needed to be done. Adam and I truly believe God brought us there and said, 'This is what I have for you boys.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom