• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encarnacion's team blames Jays for failed reunion

Edwin Encarnacion might have re-signed with the Blue Jays by now if the club had played its cards differently.

In his first interview since the winter meetings in early December, Paul Kinzer — Encarnacion’s agent in what is now a sluggish free-agent market for power hitters — told Sportsnet 590 The FAN that the slugger has six multi-year offers to consider. But a reunion with the Jays was always his top priority, and could have happened if the club hadn’t signed first baseman/DH Kendrys Morales just “two days” after offering Encarnacion $80 million over four years.

Kinzer said Encarnacion, whose home run and RBI totals since 2012 are among the highest in baseball, deserved a little time to test the market at age 33 after signing a team-friendly contract extension in July 2012.

“I don’t think it was a matter of one or two days more,” Kinzer said Wednesday. “Maybe a week. . . . A guy waits his whole career (for free agency). He at least wanted to see who was interested. A lot of teams give (their top free agents) time. Look at the Dodgers,” who re-signed closer Kenley Jansen (five years, $80 million) and third baseman Justin Turner (four years, $64 million) in the end.

Paul Kinzer hasn't exactly done a very good job in trying to sell his client, especially considering his comments during the Winter Meetings. Then again, I wonder how much the CBA blip played into basically stonewalling EE's interest in the marketplace. Of course, a user on Reddit said that maybe the Jays value the draft pick tied to compensation more, of which I can certainly understand if that is the case.

Though somebody on /r/bluejays did point this out that Paul Kinzer has had fuck ups before:

Like I've said before, this not the fist time Paul Kinzer has fucked up.

From 2008:

Braves president John Schuerholz has vowed to never again do business with Furcal's agents, whom Schuerholz accused in a newspaper interview of conducting "despicable" dealings with the team.

Schuerholz and Braves general manager Frank Wren were quoted as saying the Wasserman Media Group, headed by Arn Tellem, negotiated dishonestly by taking the team's signed terms of agreement sheet for Furcal to the Dodgers. Wren said he believed the request by agent Paul Kinzer for a term sheet signed by the Braves late Monday meant an agreement had been reached.

From 2012:

[Francisco] Rodriguez claimed in a lawsuit for malpractice and fraud that his former agents, Paul Kinzer and Arn Tellem, deceived him. He alleged that the agency lied to him about filing a no-trade provision four times in 2010 and 2011.

And then he was fired:

The Wasserman group confirmed Wednesday night that they have fired Kinzer, and issued a statement to Sports Business Journal reporter Liz Mullen: "Paul Kinzer was terminated for cause on October 5, 2012. [Per] Wasserman policy and a concern for Mr. Kinzer's dignity made it appropriate to not comment further.''

https://www.reddit.com/r/Torontobluejays/comments/5jr1yp/encarnacion_team_blames_blue_jays_for_failed/dbiavbg/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Good point.

Cue discussions on whether Jose Canseco could put up 20 home runs in the current MLB?

Canseco's been playing in the local small time pro league around here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Association_of_Professional_Baseball_Clubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q4npD_NqCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr8H5Pzfbn0

This is the same league that Sam Miller of Baseball Prospectus and Ben Lindbergh of ESPN were doing front office operations work for, written in their book:

http://theonlyruleisithastowork.com/

Deadspin has an excerpt from that book here:

http://deadspin.com/how-two-online-baseball-writers-won-an-indie-league-dra-1774112996

Edwing's career HR chart overlayed on Fenway

C0KfWUpXUAAeQLy.jpg:large

That's a shitload of
doubles

Comeback #17

Keep trying tho Manny!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/arti...rs-comparison-10813829.php?ipid=articlerecirc

Curry hardly bristled when, at the winter meetings earlier this month, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman called the Red Sox “the Golden State Warriors of baseball now.” Unlike many Boston fans who dismissed the comment as tone deaf, Curry viewed it as a compliment.

“I like that comparison because the Red Sox are my favorite team,” Curry said. “They obviously made some splashes during the offseason, and when you play an exciting brand of baseball and you’re about winning — because that's what we’re about — I like the comparison.”

:scust:

Good thing the Spurs are winning the title this season!

zulux21

The Mets “haven’t made a serious inquiry” about a trade for White Sox closer David Robertson this winter or at the last trade deadline, though New York hasn’t ruled out the possibility, Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports. Chicago would ask for Michael Conforto in any Robertson deal, however, so it could be hard for the two sides to settle on a deal.

Also in regards to a possible Robertson trade, since the Mets are unlikely to deal Conforto or another young talent for the closer, Metsblog.com’s Matthew Cerrone proposes that the White Sox should swap Robertson for Jay Bruce if they’re unable to find a team willing to surrender a good prospect for Robertson’s services. The Sox would, if nothing else, save some money in the deal, as Bruce is owed $13MM in 2017 while Robertson is owed $25MM through 2018. Bruce could also become a good trade chip at the deadline, which would allow the White Sox to eventually get the prospect they want. The Mets would be taking on extra salary in this proposed deal, though allocating that money towards a strong relief arm is a better fit for the club than paying for a superfluous corner outfielder.

I can't see the mets making the trade in the first case, or the white sox making the trade in the second case.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Indians' offer to Edwin indeed three years with an option. Money not known.

I feel like the Jays could have matched that deal. Everyone walked away too soon. Great for the Clevelands. I am gonna miss you Edwin. At least I got to see that home run.

Wow. Steamer projects that Pearce and Edwin will both have a 2.2 WAR in 2017.

I feel like the Jays could have matched that deal. Everyone walked away too soon. Great for the Clevelands. I am gonna miss you Edwin. At least I got to see that home run.

They did match it, 3 weeks ago. Edwin and his agent fucked up. And so did Shatkins.

Wow. Steamer projects that Pearce and Edwin will both have a 2.2 WAR in 2017.

They did match it, 3 weeks ago. Edwin and his agent fucked up. And so did Shatkins.

Well,every big move the Indians made in recent memory has backfired. Trading for Ubaldo, signing Bourn and Swisher.
But Edwin as the cleanup hitter makes them really scary.

so toronto is just not going to try?

We did, but it was more or less a 'courtesy' contract offer, and I would not be surprised if the Jays care more about the two picks then signing EE or Bautista.

Whether this is Atkins and Shapiro deciding to hold off on spending big and going for 2018's FA class after begging Rogers for a big payroll bump, or this is a new round of penny pinching ordered by Rogers, I don't know. I certainly hope it is the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom