• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
*pokes yankees*

cmon...do something.

1gzme1.jpg

modern internet is great

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm still hoping Cobb [ed. note: they've officially moved out of Atlanta now] finds a young catcher somewhere.

Schilling: I'd be in the hall of fame if I had said 'Lynch Trump'

Curt Schilling's chances at making the Baseball Hall of Fame are growing smaller by the day, and the former big-league pitcher believes he knows why.

According to Ryan Thibodeaux's Hall of Fame ballot tracker, of the 35.9 percent of ballots currently known, Schilling has only been ticked on 55.1 percent submitted thus far by members of the BBWAA. That leaves the former pitcher needing another 241 votes to secure the required 75 percent needed for entry, a feat that's beginning to look increasingly unlikely.

Schilling, though, blames certain voters for his Hall shortcomings for handpicking when they invoke a debated "character clause" in their selections, as well as not agreeing with his political views.

"It matters; it's not used in all cases. They pick and choose when they use the character clause," Schilling told TMZ Sports on Monday. "I promise you, if I had said 'lynch Trump' I'd be getting in with about 90 percent of the vote this year."

In reference to this:

CwsoBOtXUAQrdNo.jpg

The fact of the matter is, Curt basically shit all over the faces of BBWAA by calling for them to be lynched. They were willing to handwave his ties to Trump and the fact he defrauded Rhode Island taxpayers for a passion project, and he went across the one line you never cross as a HOF-potential player. Simple.

And yet Curt's dumb ass still doesn't get it, and he still yaps his mouth.

One of the few people I'm glad to see never get a sniff at the hall.

Munenori 'Bush Party' Kawasaki close to resigning with Cubbies

Japanese infielder, Munenori Kawasaki, 35, announced today that he is now close to re-signing with the Chicago Cubs this off-season, as both sides are nearing an agreement. According to the report, Kawasaki will be signing on a minor league deal, with an invite to spring training in Arizona… he will be joining his fellow countryman (and 2008 Beijing Olympics teammate), Koji Uehara, 41, who also signed with the Cubs this off-season as a free agent, on a one-year deal.

Of note:

It's reported that Kawasaki rejected a 10MM / 3yr offer from SoftBank Hawks to continue chasing the MLB dream.

You got Clayton Richard and Jhoulys Chacin at the top of the rotation. So plenty of bad to be expected. Wil Myers is good tho.

I actually love bad baseball teams, and I'm really looking forward to this season. Say I go to Petco, and Clayton Richard takes the bump. If he gets shelled, I can just laugh, order another beer, and see if a guy on the other team can hit for the cycle or something. But if Clayton does well... it's like winning a baseball game! There's no losing in loving bad baseball teams. Outside all the losing, of course.

BigAT

Loaded up an old copy of MVP Baseball and beamed Schilling in the head.

Felt good.

Here's a question, what baseball game has the best hit by pitch animation ever? I feel like all the recent ones do their best to not glorify it and show as little as possible.

My assumption that Atkins and Shapiro were somewhat banking on that compensation pick coming from both Bautista and EE.

Neither strike me as the type to bank on a possibilty - especially in this case, where even the most optimistic of Bautista's value had doubts because of his 2016 injuries.

Well, if what that tweet says proves to be true, well, they've locked themselves out of the compensation pick for Bautista.

How have they locked themselves out of getting something they had no control over? They offered the QO.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Here's a question, what baseball game has the best hit by pitch animation ever? I feel like all the recent ones do their best to not glorify it and show as little as possible.
ken griffey jr on the snes always had a great one, or it could have been the 64 version. anyway. it had a great sound and they would go down for the count.

Super Mega Baseball. Batter drops and there's a rewarding 'clonk' sound when the pitch connects.

My all time favourite is Bad News Baseball, when HBPs and some errors would just lay dudes out.

BigAT

ken griffey jr on the snes always had a great one, or it could have been the 64 version. anyway. it had a great sound and they would go down for the count.

The SNES one definitely had a great noise to it. Also if you ran over a runner on the basepaths you completely laid them out.

Well someone has to sign the guy, right? If no one signs him, how does Tor get that clubs' pick?

Right - but that's not Atkins and Shapiro locking themselves out of anything. They'd have locked themselves out if they hadn't offered the QO. They've done as much as they can. It's now up to Bautista to decide whether he thinks teams will give him that mega deal once the late 1st is off the table (lol).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
One bold prediction for every team - Fox Sports.

Cubs:
They will top their regular-season win total (103) from 2016, then will become the first team since the 1998-2000 Yankees to repeat as World Series champions.

Mets:
Led by Noah Syndergaard’s first 20-win season, they will make the postseason for the third consecutive year for the first time in franchise history.

Padres:
They will set a franchise record for losses, surpassing the 110 defeats in their inaugural season in 1969.

Mortemis

Banned
Mariners
The majors’ longest postseason drought will reach 16 years when Seattle finishes third in the AL West.

USA TODAY Sports Joe Nicholson

So bold. Lmao

Malo

Banned
Yankees

Gary Sanchez will lead the team with 45 homers, and no one else will hit more than 20.

Our offense will be worse than last season's? Ok.

bebop242

No way the Cubs win 100 games again.

I see two possibilities.

1 Where there is a hangover from last year and they falter a bit and either edge out the Cards or settle for a WC.

2 All pressure is off and they they just blast through the season, winning 110 games.

Personally leaning towards number 1, mainly because of starting pitching.

BFIB

I see two possibilities.

1 Where there is a hangover from last year and they falter a bit and either edge out the Cards or settle for a WC.

2 All pressure is off and they they just blast through the season, winning 110 games.

Personally leaning towards number 1, mainly because of starting pitching.
An outfield of Schwarber and Jay is going to cost a few games at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom