• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got 23/24...could have given me 50 guesses and i wouldnt have gotten
Stieb

Even most Blue Jays fans that weren't around for the 90's probably would have flubbed that up

I almost blanked on Johnny Bench, and definitely went blank on Keith Hernandez, and hilariously, Jason Giambi

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
i got 23/24...could have given me 50 guesses and i wouldnt have gotten
Stieb

I got 20/24

I don't know how I missed

Bonds (like holy shit really?_

I also missed

Andre Dawson (Whom I kept thinking was Tim Raines lol)

Totally blew it on Spahn

Kept thinking Rollie was Catfish

BFIB

Bold prediction: Jason Heyward is an AS Starter(and a worthy one)

Nope. But he will be in a Cards uni.

101516_chc_fowler_catch_med_wl8m1etu.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://deadspin.com/pissed-off-diamondbacks-sue-because-they-want-another-s-1790736695

The protracted fight between the Arizona Diamondbacks and Maricopa County has reached a boiling point. The Diamondbacks announced tonight that they had filed a lawsuit in Arizona Superior Court against the Maricopa County Stadium District, the legislative body that operates their stadium, in an attempt to get out of their lease, which runs until 2028.

The stadium was built in 1998 with Maricopa County taxpayers covering $238 million of the $364 million price tag. By MLB standards, it’s middle-aged. The Diamondbacks and the county have been arguing for almost a year over who is on the hook for the $187 million that the building needs for repairs, and it got to the point that former County Supervisor Andy Kunasek allegedly told team owner Ken Kendrick to “take your stupid baseball team and get out” and go back to “fucking West Virginia.”

The Diamondbacks are now seeking to escape the lease altogether and get approval to negotiate a new stadium deal.

The Diamondbacks offered to pick up the whole tab in exchange for cheaper rent and greater control over the stadium, but the county refused. An outside investment group negotiated a deal to buy the stadium, but it fell apart in November and the investors blamed the Diamondbacks for being “unreasonable and rather dubious.” County officials have refused to pay more for the building because they want to protect the initial investment that taxpayers made (and were not able to vote on).

Maricopa County Board Chairman Clint Hickman issued a statement on the lawsuit, calling the Diamondbacks’ characterization of a crumbling stadium as “outrageous.”

“It is disappointing the Diamondbacks are suing their fans who helped build Chase Field. The team simply wants out of the contract that makes them stay and play through the 2028 season. Saying the facility is in disrepair is outrageous. The Maricopa County Stadium District has spent millions during the off-season on concrete and steel work that keeps the stadium safe and looking great for each baseball season.

The Diamondbacks have expressed dissatisfaction with county ownership over the past year, yet when presented with a potential buyer last summer, the team didn’t have the courtesy to meet with them. It seems the team just wants a new stadium now.
Maricopa County is committed to keeping the Diamondbacks at Chase Field through the term of the contract. That is good for the taxpayers who made the investment that brought major league baseball here.”

Mortemis

Banned
All of the AL West looks so bad this year. If we finish third...

Astros look legit, and are favs to win the division for sure. Rangers look like they'll regress but who knows. I personally think we'll be around where we were last season (85 to 88 wins), so could be second place in the west. Best realistic case is we get wildcard imo.

From the response of D-Backs fans on Reddit, the case might hold water. Apparently the county has not held up their end of the bargain for structural upkeep of Chase Field, so the D-Backs complaints hold water.

Of course, it won't matter in the end, because Maricopa County's previous comments about them pissing off for taxpayer funded stadiums resonates so much with fans like us. And that is certainly how the Deadspin article frames it. But nevertheless, it's probably going to turn into a nasty, protracted legal battle.

It also helps to note that the county owns the stadium, so the buck somewhat lies on them to have the responsibility to fix it.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if the response by Maricopa County earlier in the year in regards to tax payer funded stadiums was more or less a smoke screen to help paint the D-Backs in a terrible light. People hate tax-payer funded stadiums, and such a straightforward, caustic comment makes for great TV and John Oliver segments.

But of course, now comes the D-Backs comments, and they paint a much different picture. Also helps in their case that the county owns the stadium so are indeed responsible for upkeep of the stadium just as much as the D-Backs are.

It's pretty obvious someone is lying in this picture. It's also obvious they are are playing a game of political chicken.

Beckx

Korea has removed Jung Ho Kang from their WBC team. Police are looking to press charges over the DUI. Bucs huddled in some corner hoping it all goes away.

Korea has removed Jung Ho Kang from their WBC team. Police are looking to press charges over the DUI. Bucs huddled in some corner hoping it all goes away.

Good. Consequences for your actions.

Marty Brennaman on Joey Votto

Time out here now. I’m not going to get into all that crap. I’m going to tell you this: If I were an owner of a baseball team I would say to him if I could trade him, I’d trade him yesterday. And I would say, hell I can lose 94 games without you just as easily as I could lose 94 games with you. I don’t care about the OPS. I don’t care about none of that. This team made a bad deal when they signed Joey Votto to a 10-year contract. And he’s gonna make $22M and either next year or the following year he’s going to make $25M. There’s NO sanity on God’s Earth that justifies this being a good contract.

I don’t give a DAMN (shouting it at this point) about Bryce Harper! You’re talking about Washington DC. Why don’t you bring up Mike Trout and Los Angeles? (caller chimes in with”well” before he’s interrupted again) We’re done with this Scott. We can argue all night long and you’re dead wrong. You’re never going to convince me this contract is a good contract.

Wow, I can't believe they responded to how the rules were affecting the game back then. But nooooooooo, now we can't have robot umps call balls and strikes because reasons.

Lets be honest, it's because of the umpires union. As long as they have the power, they will not accept changes towards automation. Nor will they accept any sort of checks and balances in regards to their egos.

A ref or ump, in any sport, shouldn't let their egos take control and make them the centre of attention.

zulux21

so word is if the white sox don't manage to trade quintana before spring training starts they likely won't trade him until next off season.

How Mike Trout Could Legally Become a Free Agent

What type of contract would Mike Trout have commanded this offseason had he been a free agent? Coming off an MVP-award-winning campaign in which he compiled 9.4 WAR and about to enter just his age-25 season, Trout would have easily been one of the most sought after players ever to hit the open market. And given the state of this year’s historically weak free-agent class, the bidding for Trout may very likely have ended up in the $400-500 million range over eight to ten years.

Considering that Trout signed a six-year, $144.5 million contract extension back in 2014 – an agreement that runs through 2020 – this is just an interesting, but hypothetical, thought experiment, right?

Not necessarily. A relatively obscure provision under California law — specifically, Section 2855 of the California Labor Code — limits all personal services contracts (i.e., employment contracts) in the state to a maximum length of seven years. In other words, this means that if an individual were to sign an employment contract in California lasting eight or more years, then at the conclusion of the seventh year the employee would be free to choose to either continue to honor the agreement, or else opt out and seek employment elsewhere.

Although the California legislature has previously considered eliminating this protection for certain professional athletes – including Major League Baseball players – no such amendment has passed to date. Consequently, Section 2855 would presumptively apply to any player employed by one of the five major-league teams residing in California.

The most straightforward application of the California law to MLB would be the case of a free-agent player signing a contract lasting more than seven years (think Albert Pujols). Under the law, the player would be legally obligated to honor his contract for the first seven years, but after that would have the right to opt-out at anytime. As long as the player remained happy with the terms of his agreement, he would continue to receive the salary specified in his contract. However, should the player choose to opt-out after seven years, he would once again become a free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom