• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korea has removed Jung Ho Kang from their WBC team. Police are looking to press charges over the DUI. Bucs huddled in some corner hoping it all goes away.

To add to this (And I should stress this is unverified, and probably conjecture, got it from the comments on this piece of news on /r/baseball)

Apparently rumors abound in the Korean community in Pittsburgh that he frequents 'some' Korean establishments and has had 'inappropriate' relations with some girls that aren't exactly legal. Whatever that means.

I know for certain that some of the Korean tabloid rags a while back linked him to T-ARA member Hyomin and both sides vehemently denied it considering I think it came out either on the day of or a few days after Hyomin threw out the first pitch for the Buccos.

zulux21

Super Bold Prediction.

Mike Trout will go to whoever offers the most money.

if I was trout I would just go to who ever I thought had the best chance of winning it all.

I mean he isn't going to get a ring with the angels most likely, and it sucks to have a hall of fame career and never get a ring with it :(

How Ty Cobb was framed as a racist

The two things everyone knows about Ty Cobb are that he was a phenomenal baseball player and that he was the worst racist ever to play the game.

But one of these things is mostly wrong.

Cobb, the first player voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, the holder of more than 90 records upon his retirement and still the pace-setter with a .366 lifetime batting average, could be rude, but not nearly as nasty as you think. And far from being the most notorious racist in baseball history, he was an early and vocal supporter of integrating the big leagues.

Modal TriggerIn his new biography, “Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty” (Simon & Schuster), Charles Leerhsen opens with a comedy routine that details some of the many myths about the Detroit Tigers superstar.

Was he a wife-beater? “He was an everything beater,” offered comic Jim Norton. “A horrible racist. A Demerol addict . . . in 1907 Cobb fought a black groundskeeper . . . and ended up choking the man’s wife when she intervened.”

“On several occasions he brutally pistol-whipped African-American men whose only offense was to share a sidewalk with him,” wrote a biographer of Hall of Famer Tris Speaker.

In Ken Burns’ “Baseball,” Cobb is called “an embarrassment to the game.” Most notoriously, we all know that Cobb stabbed a black waiter in Cleveland and was a member of the Ku Klux Klan.

Except none of these allegations is true.

I've always wondered if the stories about Cobb were true. But, I think he was racist, as everyone was back then.

Exactly, the truth is somewhere in the middle. This NY Post article just seems to handwave everything in regards to Cobb.

I do agree with you that chances are, everybody was racist back in the early 1900's and beyond. How racist you were, well, I guess we had to find out.

BFIB

Exactly, the truth is somewhere in the middle. This NY Post article just seems to handwave everything in regards to Cobb.

I do agree with you that chances are, everybody was racist back in the early 1900's and beyond. How racist you were, well, I guess we had to find out.
Didn't Babe Ruth also attack a fan for comparing him to a black man?

BFIB

Not really. It mentions that he could be a violent guy, who used racial epithets - but contextualizes by pointing out that pretty much everyone in baseball 100 years ago was like that.
Cobb played with the grit Matheny would appreciate.

Sanjuro

I haven't refreshed my palette with the history of Cobb. I just remember the film's portrayal turns him into a Looney Tunes character...who come to think of it are all racist anyway, but that's besides the point!

I haven't refreshed my palette with the history of Cobb. I just remember the film's portrayal turns him into a Looney Tunes character...who come to think of it are all racist anyway, but that's besides the point!

Apparently the film has him getting angry cause he can't get an erection or something?

Would Cobb have supported Bautista after the bat flip?

That's the question I use to judge all historical figures.

Cobb played with the grit Matheny would appreciate.

He played like he lived.

Silver, ugh, that Edwin story you just posted is the 1st time I've felt disappointed he's no longer a Jay.

pre-edit: Holy moses! Cleveland was 28th in attendance last year????

Chris R

Berman is done for, 2017 already off to a TERRIFIC START

Home Run Derby to be watchable for the first time in years (well maybe next year when it isn't in Marlins Park)

Berman is done for, 2017 already off to a TERRIFIC START

Home Run Derby to be watchable for the first time in years (well maybe next year when it isn't in Marlins Park)

Conversely: He will do play-by-play for ESPN Radio during the MLB Postseason, specifically LDS games

Meier

Grade A trolling by the Dodgers facebook page. "Major announcement" live stream -- it ends up being a Billy Joel concert at the stadium. FFS.

Parch

Grade A trolling by the Dodgers facebook page. "Major announcement" live stream -- it ends up being a Billy Joel concert at the stadium. FFS.
Is Billy Joel still selling out stadiums like Dodger? Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

I mean, Bryan Adams sold out the arena in my city, and that's with a population little over 50,000 and an arena that holds 5100 people.

So yeah, nostalgia sells.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RBH GIF candidate?

abfS6xX.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom