• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Rangers3_1280_2pngn1dw_ega9aavz.jpg

This is so ugly

cashman

Banned
Do they really stand that fucking close all the time? That seems insane.

They usually only stand that close for spin bowlers because the batters are more likely to mishit the ball and get out on hits of the tip of the bat or "edges". Usually balls aren't hit that hard.

Sanjuro

Correct me if I am wrong, but the new ballpark is actually in the Dallas downtown area, correct? Or is it still in Arlington?

It's basically across the street for further reference.

idk, I think someone said it's because it's too hot in the summer in the old(ish) park and they want to have a closed park for the summer

that and they got (tax) money to spend

That's still a stupid reason. They are going to get those later start times anyway.

Mortemis

Banned
It's basically across the street for further reference.

That's still a stupid reason. They are going to get those later start times anyway.

when the city is so fine with you spending their $$$, they must be like "why not"

I think it's dumb too for clarification

RBH

C1a2PqVW8AAfPDI.jpg

74937s.gif

Live Nation and SunTrust Park announced that legendary musician Billy Joel will perform the first live concert at the Atlanta Braves' new stadium, SunTrust Park on Friday, April 28, 2017. The just announced concert will mark the first Billy Joel solo concert in Atlanta since 2015.

Malvingt2

Brandon Phillips Blocked November Trade To Braves

Even as Brandon Phillips faces a possible loss of playing time, he still is not ready to leave Cincinnati.

The Reds' second baseman used his no-trade protection in November to block a trade to the Braves, according to major-league sources.

The Braves tried to acquire Phillips at the same time they were in the process of signing free-agent infielder/outfielder Sean Rodriguez, who agreed to a two-year, $11.5 million contract on Nov. 24.

The addition of Rodriguez, who figures to play often at second base, cooled the Braves on Phillips; the trade, in theory, is still possible, but the talks are unlikely to revive, sources say.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...d-trade-cincinnati-atlanta-sources-say-010517

Sanjuro

Need has nothing to do with it. Rangers basically get it for free and will boost attendance. It's just about $.

I don't know about "will". Ranger fans probably will jump on the concept of something new, but every game I've gone to, I've yet to meet a baseball fan.

Did the Jays misread the market on EE? (And other notes)

The one thing that remains puzzling about the Blue Jays’ handling of Edwin Encarnacion is the team’s quick pivot to Kendrys Morales in free agency.

If Encarnacion’s agent, Paul Kinzer, made a questionable decision by failing to seize upon the Jays’ initial four-year, $80 million offer, didn’t the club also misread the market?

Few question Morales’ offensive ability. As a switch-hitter, he will help balance the Jays’ lineup. But at 33, he is only five months younger than Encarnacion. And the trade and free-agent markets included plenty of other left-handed hitting options, some of whom — unlike Morales — also add defensive and baserunning value.

The free-agent class included Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick, Jon Jay, switch-hitter Carlos Beltran and several others who remain unsigned — Luis Valbuena, Michael Saunders, Brandon Moss, Pedro Alvarez, Colby Rasmus. The trade market included — and still includes — the Mets’ Jay Bruce and Curtis Granderson, Yankees’ Brett Gardner and Mariners’ Seth Smith.

also the A's want Plouffe for some reason, as do the Red Sox

Add the Athletics to the list of teams pursuing free-agent infielder Trevor Plouffe, according to major-league sources. The Red Sox reportedly are interested as well.

Plouffe, 30, can play first base as well as third, even the outfield corners in a pinch. His 2016 season was marred by three different rib/oblique injuries, but he hit well in his final healthy stint and the year before had 22 homers and 86 RBIs.

The Athletics are typically a team that values on-base percentage, which is one reason they might not be all that intrigued by Mark Trumbo, whose career mark is .305. Then again, neither Plouffe (.308) or Rajai Davis (.314) is especially proficient at getting on base. So the A’s interest in Trumbo, first reported by Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, could increase if his price drops to a level that the club sees as appealing.

Chris R

idk, I think someone said it's because it's too hot in the summer in the old(ish) park and they want to have a closed park for the summer

that and they got (tax) money to spend

The Mariners broadcast team always brings up how hot the games are in the summer. ALWAYS. The should just remodel the current park though instead of building a brand new one.

cashman

Banned
I don't know about "will". Ranger fans probably will jump on the concept of something new, but every game I've gone to, I've yet to meet a baseball fan.

They will be much more willing to go in the summer when the stadium is nice and air conditioned.

Chris R

Mariners swap Seth Smith to the O's for Gallardo. I think Gallardo can do well in Safeco so I think the M's made out well.

Dad to put up Trumbo like numbers next season, just you watch.

And Gallardo is going to get blown up and sent to the pen quickly if I had to guess :\ We always gamble on these players who should be better than their numbers indicate, only to have them perform worse in Seattle.

So, Craig Calcaterra at NBC Sports decided to eviscerate Dan Shaughnessy in regards to Dan calling Edgar Martinez 'not dominant or feared hitter of his era'

Flash forward to today. The Boston Globe’s Hall voters all released their ballots and the rationale for their votes. The highlight: Shaughnessy has referenced “fear” again! This time, however, he did so to justify not voting for a player:

Edgar Martinez stays on the outside for me, and not because he was a DH. Just never thought of him as a dominant, feared hitter in his era.

Hmm. What happened to talking to the players and managers who were there, like Shaughnessy said we should do back in 2008? Seems he didn’t bother to do that this time and, instead, decided to just go with what he subjectively thought. That’s sort of . . . inconsistent. But let’s give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was too busy to ask around! So let’s help him out, shall we?

Ken Griffey Jr.: “He carried the team for a period of time. He was one of the most feared hitters in the game for 10-plus years.”
Paul Molitor: “He [Edgar] was one of the most feared right-handed hitters for a long time in this league. The amount of respect he has from peers speaks to the value of the offensive player he was.”
Pedro Martinez: “Believe it or not, the guy that I hated facing the most wasn’t a guy that really did well against me. It was actually a guy that didn’t do that well … The toughest guy I faced I think — with all due respect to all the players in the league — was Edgar Martinez.”
Randy Johnson: “Edgar Martinez is, hands down, the best hitter that I’ve ever seen. I’m glad I didn’t have to face him too much”
Mariano Rivera: “The toughest – and thank God he retired – Edgar Martinez. Oh my God. I think every pitcher will say that, because this man was tough.”

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/01/05/sorry-dan-shaughnessy-edgar-martinez-was-feared/

Mortemis

Banned
Fuck that Gallardo trade, yes I'm a smith fan but still, feels like a really bad trade. Why do we still trade with the orioles, someone in the Ms org please put a blacklist on them.

The dyson trade is okay if you think Karns is never gonna get healthy and put it together, but he still has four years of control vs one for Dyson. Idk about it.

Yahoo Sports are fucking idiots.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jays-fans-freak-out-over-possible-stroman-sanchez-feud-224437123.html

There may be many close friendships in the Toronto Blue Jays clubhouse, but there is no bromance as famous as the one shared by starting pitchers Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez.

Stroman and Sanchez have been presented as a virtually inseparable duo, seen together on and off the field and all over social media. They can be Harold and Kumar, Murtaugh and Riggs, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid depending on your movie-going preferences.

The pair has not shied away from this depiction, which has bred an attachment to it by the Blue Jays faithful.

I want to stress that this entire article is coming from ONE single Reddit thread on /r/bluejays, which was stupid to begin with and shows the rapid descent into dumbass bandwagon chicken little'ing that the sub had been dealing with all off season.

Literally, Yahoo Sports made an article out of a shit post.

Yahoo Sports are fucking idiots.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/blue-jays-fans-freak-out-over-possible-stroman-sanchez-feud-224437123.html

I want to stress that this entire article is coming from ONE single Reddit thread on /r/bluejays, which was stupid to begin with and shows the rapid descent into dumbass bandwagon chicken little'ing that the sub had been dealing with all off season.

Literally, Yahoo Sports made an article out of a shit post.

Tbh they don't have much else to talk about, so they're now grasping for straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom