• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I guess Smyly is good in that he can eat up innings but giving up your top pitching prospect for him among others...ehh.

rando14

I guess Smyly is good in that he can eat up innings but giving up your top pitching prospect for him among others...ehh.

Personally I wouldnt call Gohara our top pitching prospect, I've got much higher hopes for Moore, Neidert, etc than Gohara.

Still, Smyly was a 0.0 bWAR pitcher last year and has gone over 150 innings only twice. Maaaaybe there's upside if his poor HR rate comes down in Safeco? He had a 4.50 xFIP last year.

Ultimately, I don't like it. I'd much rather have kept Karns (4.24 xFIP!!) and obtained Mallex Smith instead of Dyson.

zulux21

huh...

what does seattle need that the white sox have as I would love to get a nice return like that while giving up next to nothing lol.

could have likely gotten similar results by trading for Miguel González and Mallex Smith alone would have been enough to get him from the white sox with ease.

They have a window?

Yes? They just missed the WC two straight years, but two of their best offensive players (Cano/Cruz) are on the wrong side of 30 and their former best pitcher (Felix) appeared to be in a massive decline last year. Based on historical aging windows they've got like 1-2 more years before Cruz and Felix are both completely toast. Cano might last longer offensively but he doesn't have many more years as a second baseman in him.

Mortemis

Banned
They barely missed the WC in 2014 and 2016. I'd like to forget about 2015 too but they weren't close that year. I agree with you though.

BFIB

Yes? They just missed the WC two straight years, but two of their best offensive players (Cano/Cruz) are on the wrong side of 30 and their former best pitcher (Felix) appeared to be in a massive decline last year. Based on historical aging windows they've got like 1-2 more years before Cruz and Felix are both completely toast. Cano might last longer offensively but he doesn't have many more years as a second baseman in him.
I just meant to give up those other pieces. It's like DiPito is trying to make up for lost time in Anaheim on the future of the farm.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gonna miss Smyly. Dude should do quite well in Seattle. Rays OF logjam is weird, someone else is getting moved. At least the OF defense should be great this year.

I just meant to give up those other pieces. It's like DiPito is trying to make up for lost time in Anaheim on the future of the farm.

Luiz Gohara was probably 2 to 3 years away from being Major League ready if ever. In 2 to 3 years they're going to be selling off pieces and starting over anyway, so they might as well use whatever tiny amount of prospect currency they have to go in now.

They still held on to their only close to ML ready prospect in O'Neil.

Beckx

NPB passed an interesting safety rule: if a player falls into the dugout making a catch on a foul ball, the runners will advance one base. Intended to stop reckless catch attempts, apparently, by adding a disincentive.

NPB passed an interesting safety rule: if a player falls into the dugout making a catch on a foul ball, the runners will advance one base. Intended to stop reckless catch attempts, apparently, by adding a disincentive.

Sounds more like Japan is trying to crack down on grit.

Harold Reynolds needs to hear this.

though I do wonder how many HOF players have never played in the playoffs lol.

31 according to this sporcle quiz thing on the internet https://m.sporcle.com/games/minnmich/halloffame-yes-worldseries-no

zulux21

Harold Reynolds needs to hear this.

31 according to this sporcle quiz thing on the internet https://m.sporcle.com/games/minnmich/halloffame-yes-worldseries-no

frank thomas is a weird one.

he didn't officially play in the 2005 world series, but he was on the roster for that series and he did earn a ring with the white sox

but he did play it multiple playoffs, thus he doesn't count for my question anyways, but that list is great for figuring out if there is anyone that never played in the playoffs (though I imagine some HOF played in the playoffs just not the world series)

seems like all the ones I am checking had a few series under their belt.

felix will be the odd one if he continues to pitch well and sea never makes it as he has never pitched in the playoffs at all.

Kenta Maeda has declined pitching for Japan at the WBC

Fan Interference:

It has been officially announced today that Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Kenta Maeda, 28 years of age, won’t be pitching for Samurai Japan this March for the upcoming World Baseball Classic… Maeda was the ace pitcher for Team Japan in the 2013 edition of the World Baseball Classic, but even though he won’t be participating in the tournament, he said that he will support his fellow countrymen from afar in reclaiming their 3rd World Baseball Classic title.

Los Angeles Dodgers manager, Dave Roberts, stated in an interview last year that he has his full support if Kenta Maeda wanted to pitch for his country, but Maeda cites injury/fatigue, that would eventually result to failure, as his main reason for not participating in the upcoming event.

Samurai Japan still has at least til before the end of January to wait on their Major league players, so far, Houston Astros outfielder, Norichika Aoki, is currently their lone MLB player in their roster… New York Yankees starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka stated that he wants to pitch for Samurai Japan this World Baseball Classic, but the Yankees organization also seemed reluctant to allow their ace pitcher to participate.

The Japanese right-hander Kenta Maeda finished his 2016 rookie season with the Dodgers posting a record of 16-11, and an earned run average of 3.48 in 32 games played (175.2 innings pitched) last year, as a starting pitcher.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Former-Giants-closer-Casilla-nearing-deal-with-10851623.php

Casilla is nearing a two-year, $11 million deal to return to Oakland, his original team, The Chronicle has confirmed.

Presumably, Casilla would help set up A’s closer Ryan Madson. Casilla’s addition also would give the A’s flexibility to deal another experienced reliever such as Madson, Sean Doolittle or John Axford, between now and the July 31 trade deadline.

The contract agreement allows Casilla to earn an additional $1.5 million in each year based on games finished, a clause that rewards him if he becomes Oakland’s closer.

Beckx

C2AAMLhUUAELAC0.jpg

The Braves have acquired IF Micah Johnson from the Dodgers in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Johnson was DFA'd earlier this week to make room for Kenley Jansen on the 40-man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom