• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coffee and conversation with David Price at 6:45 a.m.

Q. I guess everyone wants to know about your dog Astro. He's getting up there, isn't he?

A. Astro is now 7. He had back surgery this offseason. One of his left vertebrae near his back leg wasn't firing right. So we went in and had surgery for him and he made a full recovery. The only thing he's missing now is the hair on his back isn't grown back all the way, but it's getting there.

Q. Does he go on the field at Fenway?

A. He has a couple of times last year. One of our clubhouse guys, Murph, takes care of both of our dogs [when the team goes on the road]. They love Murph.

Q. Are you sorry you spoke up about some of the racial stuff that happened in Boston?

A. No, I'm not sorry. I think racism is still here. And by ”here," I'm not saying here in Boston. I'm saying in the world today. I'm not sorry. What do I have to be sorry for?

Q. Tell me something about you that people don't know. Surprise me.

A. People in Boston don't know anything about me. The only thing I have to do is pitch good. People don't care about what I do or the type of person that I am. That doesn't matter.

Q. It matters to me.

A. It doesn't matter to these people in Boston. I've got to go out there and earn respect by pitching well. Period. That's the only thing that's going to turn the page for me in Boston. I've got to go out there and dominate. People don't care what I do off the field.

Bolded 1: Boston is absolutely racist as shit, like any other city in America. Need I remind you David that they named a street after a known racist shitbag of an owner? And who protected a known sexual predator?

Bolded 2: Absolutely agree, but let me extend that to mean nobody cares about what you do other then sports. Period. People oftentimes scoff at athletes trying to connect with fans, and the community. They don't care.

Should probably add this in continuation of bolded 2:

Q. You don't think they care if you're a good person or not?

A. No, no chance. They don't care. If they care, I wouldn't have went through all that crap that I went through last year. If they cared. Period. You have to be in my shoes. If you lived it . . .

No, I really mean that, wasn't meaning it as a comment on you.

He could possibly not know, or maybe he doesn't want to know, in order to maybe make himself out as a better player? Forgetting about the eventual paycheck and play good ball?

I dunno, I can't find the article I read earlier today. But he mentions how he has no idea how much he's paid. But a tweet was brought up where he corrected a troll on twitter on how much his contract is.

I dunno, I can't find the article I read earlier today. But he mentions how he has no idea how much he's paid. But a tweet was brought up where he corrected a troll on twitter on how much his contract is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a case of willful ignorance in order to make himself a better athlete.

"I'm soo sorry I didn't get Dunkin Donuts! Don't people know what a great guy I am bringing coffee to the trainers? Who cares, it's only Starbucks!" - David Price

of all the things to hate an athlete for, this stuff is pretty low on the list. i'd probably be annoyed with the constant smear campaign that boston media tries to run on them all the time too.

Chris R

I'm still kinda pissed the braves aren't playing home games when I'm on my next business trip. Would have flown over to watch a game or three :(

Beckx

Nakata home run swing

C6blw3pUYAAW8JE.jpg

Tsutsugoh home run swing

C6Z-iL7U0AA7y7y.jpg

Nakata and Tsutsugoh hug

C6bmCYFVAAAHIBb.jpg

C6blZqiU8AA7Vsw.jpg

(more fun facts: in 2008 Nakata set the high school home run record with 87. I'm pretty sure it's been broken since then, and Kiyomiya is on pace to shatter it if he has a good third year (he's at a mind boggling 75 as he starts his 3rd year).)

Why the World Baseball Classic is Awesome

Last September, right near the end of the season, we traveled to the Bay Area to play the Giants. It was our final road series of the year. The season hadn’t gone as we had hoped, but we wanted to finish strong, and I was super pumped for those games. I always look forward to playing at AT&T Park, because the Giants are usually good, and those guys have won multiple World Series titles. So when we’re in San Francisco, I want to do everything I can to show that we can go toe-to-toe with that team.

Heading into that series, honestly, I was hoping to get a sweep. The Giants are one of our biggest rivals, and they were making a frantic run toward the playoffs. So I was looking to spoil their plans.

We were all determined to go out and send those guys home for the off-season. I had it all planned out in my head. It was gonna be great.

I’m playing in this tournament because I love baseball, and I love my country. I want this team to do something that hasn’t been done before.

I’m taking this super seriously. And I know for a fact that my teammates are, too. Baseball is our national pastime, and the U.S. has never won this tournament. That’s gotta change, and we’re going to do all we can to make it happen.

It’s not going to be easy. We’ve got the Dominican team, Venezuela, Japan and the list goes on and on. The field is stacked.

Plus, it’s going to be a unique challenge to play against people from all over the world. It’s not like in the majors, where you kind of have a book on everyone. In preparing to play certain teams, it seems like we’ll almost have to wing it a bit. But it will be good practice for those times during the major league season when a young pitcher comes up from the minors, or when I’m facing someone for the very first time in my career and I just need to learn on the fly.

And that actually brings me to an issue you often hear people talk about when the WBC comes up — that it may negatively impact how players are able to prepare for the major league season.

I have to be honest … at first I had my concerns about that, too, because you hear all this stuff about how you might have to ramp up a little quicker once the WBC ends. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was sort of a nonissue for me. When I look back on last year’s spring training, and really every spring training I’ve been to, I can’t think of one where I didn’t go all out. So I always ramp up fast.

but nobody in north america cares for the WBC /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom