• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

BumRush

New York Mets ‏@Mets

We’ve placed Travis d’Arnaud on the 15-day DL with a right rotator cuff strain and selected the contract of Rene Rivera from Las Vegas.

Well, he lasted all of three weeks.

That could be a loooooooooooong injury for a catcher, too :(

RBH

The New York Mets are hosting a Free Fedora Day on July 9th:

Cg-hMrCUoAAd2-M.jpg:large

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=nym

ImHmcgq.gif

New York Mets ‏@Mets

We’ve placed Travis d’Arnaud on the 15-day DL with a right rotator cuff strain and selected the contract of Rene Rivera from Las Vegas.

Well, he lasted all of three weeks.

dude couldnt throw anyone out, plawecki time

zulux21

As a White Sox fan I'll take all these wins and the luck but it won't last forever.
ideally the offense will come around and pitching and luck won't be what is carrying the team.

though to be fair the offense never really came around in 2005 and that year turned out alright.
Sale vs Dickey, and you're betting on Dickey? Don't go to Vegas.

I'm going to vegas in oct :p

The New York Mets are hosting a Free Fedora Day on July 9th:

Cg-hMrCUoAAd2-M.jpg:large

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=nym

ImHmcgq.gif

did they lose a bet?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

If Yankees manager Joe Girardi were the commissioner of baseball, he would make shifts illegal, he said. http://es.pn/1SqGFnO

Baseball Tonight ‏@BBTN

Reds are giving Jake Arrieta the rubber, 1st base & home plate from his no-no. He'll give home plate to David Ross.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

If Yankees manager Joe Girardi were the commissioner of baseball, he would make shifts illegal, he said. http://es.pn/1SqGFnO

Baseball Tonight ‏@BBTN

Reds are giving Jake Arrieta the rubber, 1st base & home plate from his no-no. He'll give home plate to David Ross.
pfft, MLB has just been behind the curve, they should have always moved their defenders where they most likely think the ball will go. If you dont iike shifts get players that can hit the ball on the ground to all fields.

Speaking of shifts, we don't batters just bunt when the entire infield is playing one side of the field? It seems like a free baserunner. There's probably an obvious answer but I can't think of it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Tony Gwynns don't grow on trees.
true, but I don't think you need to be that good. Although it is probably better to hit it hard to one side than try to hit it weakly to another.

Also I assume this quote came because teams always shift on McCann and I think Tex as well.

Speaking of shifts, we don't batters just bunt when the entire infield is playing one side of the field? It seems like a free baserunner. There's probably an obvious answer but I can't think of it.
they do but teams feel it is still more valuable to shift.

The players that they usually shift on are slower but hit for power so if they bunt they feel like they won't do it often and they would rather have a single than possibly a double.

Beckx

pfft, MLB has just been behind the curve, they should have always moved their defenders where they most likely think the ball will go. If you dont iike shifts get players that can hit the ball on the ground to all fields.

what's interesting is that the modern Japanese game (heavily influenced by what Ichiro achieved) is all about contact and hitting to all fields...players who can't hit to all fields generally don't do well. (of course the modern Japanese game has it's own issues)

implying MLB players generally can bunt well

i kid but i don't think bunting as a skill is well developed in MLB

MLB TV is really shit today. I gotta say up that Kodi thing.

people keep talking up the playstation app but everytime i've watched the last two weeks the image has had high-noise and the resolution drops a lot.

zulux21

implying MLB players generally can bunt well

i kid but i don't think bunting as a skill is well developed in MLB

it baffles me when a speedster isn't bunting when ever there is less than 2 strikes and someone is playing back. (you would likely succeed around 40% of the time which is better than mlb players do swinging away)

of course it also baffles me when a pull hitter doesn't learn how to bunt the ball /half swing at a ball from a bunt stance like a game of pepper to the opposite side of the massive shift until they at least put someone back in position.

people keep talking up the playstation app but everytime i've watched the last two weeks the image has had high-noise and the resolution drops a lot.

still better than the PC version by far.

zulux21

Well, already time to turn off the game.

hmmmm, what game are you watching?
guessing braves game?

can't blame you if so, though really I don't think I would be watching the braves right now until they seem to turn it around a bit because they are just sad in general right now.

Beckx

Jonny Gomes left the Rakuten Eagles to return to the US for an unspecified family situation. He had not been hitting and had been sent to the farm team, but had yet to appear in a farm team game.

Wonder if he'll be back.

zulux21

we will have to see if sale as an Ace can get through the game without his good stuff, but he clearly looks off so far. (he isn't hitting his spots like usual at all)

I'm assuming that is a photo showing two hotdogs with mustard and relish. I really can't tell, since I used up my ENTIRE MONTHLY DATA CAP loading that monstrosity.

Top Bottom