• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

giphy.gif

Parch

Sportsnet is getting a little annoying. They are milking everything they can out of last year's success, but Jays are looking really mediocre this year and that bullpen is a problem.
That game yesterday was a real letdown. Jays are finding ways to lose.

Sportsnet is getting a little annoying. They are milking everything they can out of last year's success, but Jays are looking really mediocre this year and that bullpen is a problem.
That game yesterday was a real letdown. Jays are finding ways to lose.

You can't blame them. The viewership numbers were huge last year. They are going to milk it and give all that cash back to Bautista.

I am still more than confident the Jays can turn it around.

Wow, that's just... pathetic.

It was Toronto's first playoff series win in a major sport since... since... the Raptors in 2001? Or did the Leafs get one in there before they went belly up?

Edit: Leafs beat Ottawa in a series 2003-2004.

Sanjuro

Toronto should just hand out shirts that say "Toronto Blue Jays. Hey...At Least We Are Not the Leafs! Catch the Fever."

zulux21

I saw the Angles bat around and chase Rodon in the first inning of a game in Chicago.

Mediocre is not the word I'd chose.
given that he gave up that and still has an era in the low 4s should be more of a sign that overall he isn't mediocre just his line is :p (I mean if you remove that night he is running a 2.74 era and his last game he suffered far more from bad defense than bad pitching that caused him to work under more pressure and would have been fine if he didn't leave a very hitable ball in the zone to get launched for a 3 run home run)

every pitcher has off nights. clayton kershaw in 2010 got chased out of a game in 1.1 innings giving up 7 runs to a dodgers team that would go on to be 80-82.

Rodan has quality stuff and will likely end up being a number 2-3 pitcher once he figures out how to be more consistent. Right now he is going between almost uninhitable, to being quite hitable. Overall he is not a mediocre pitcher, but there is a decent chance that he will give another mediocre performance as it took a while last season for him to really get in a groove as well.

You can't blame them. The viewership numbers were huge last year. They are going to milk it and give all that cash back to Bautista.

I am still more than confident the Jays can turn it around.

It was Toronto's first playoff series win in a major sport since... since... the Raptors in 2001? Or did the Leafs get one in there before they went belly up?

Edit: Leafs beat Ottawa in a series 2003-2004.

Jays have almost the same record they had at this point last season. still plenty of time to turn things around.

zulux21

Sandoval shoulder was fucked up
if they are smart they hire a couple of assistants to control his diet to make sure he doesn't come next spring at near 400 pounds after sitting around doing nothing while waiting for his shoulder to heal.

Verlander engaged to Kate Upton. Good for him. Now try getting a ring of your own JV :p

Since the white sox are winning it this year it won't be this year at least. Maybe in 2-3 years :p

Sanjuro

What if I told you the Cubs would face the White Sox in the World Series? What if the ChiSox took the that series in seven games?

zulux21

Pretty sure it would become a manhunt for White Sox fans.

some cubs fans likely would, but in general they would just get drunk and riot until the city is burned down.

the same exact thing I expect will happen if the cubs ever win the world series.

either way I am far enough away that I likely wouldn't be hunted, as I am like 150 miles away :p

This entire Pablo Sandoval saga is bizarre. This quote from Pablo's brother pissed me off, though:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...red-sox-set-miss-rest-season-shoulder-surgery

Sandoval's older brother, Michael Sandoval, a former minor league infielder with the Minnesota Twins, believes the conditioning issues stem from the "lack of professionalism and seriousness" of Sandoval's personal trainer, Rafael Alvarez. Michael Sandoval accused Alvarez of not adhering to the workout goals outlined by the Red Sox.

Does anyone in this family take responsibility for his or her actions?

zulux21

BFIB

Pablo got his payday. Dude doesn't give a shit about his body, he didn't care in San Fran and just aimed for the payday. Only got in shape when he thought he was getting money.

BigAT

This entire Pablo Sandoval saga is bizarre. This quote from Pablo's brother pissed me off, though:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...red-sox-set-miss-rest-season-shoulder-surgery

Does anyone in this family take responsibility for his or her actions?

Even if this is the case and he is speaking 100% truth...fire him and get a new personal trainer? It's still Pablo's fault regardless, it's not like his trainer is binding his wrists and force feeding him like in Se7en.

zulux21

ChiSox to DFA John Danks.

seriously. you aren't messing with me?

even better Erik Johnson is joining the rotation. The rotation I wanted from the start of the year is FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahn says that he informed Danks of the decision yesterday and called the decision a difficult one to make. While Danks’ production, of course, has dipped since that 2012 surgery, he’s been a member of the White Sox organization since late 2006, when he was acquired in a trade that sent right-hander Brandon McCarthy to the Rangers. That lengthy tenure has made Danks a well-liked fixture in the Chicago clubhouse, and Nightengale tweets that Hahn acknowledged that the move will not be a popular one among the players. Hahn, however, insists that the move would have been made even if the 18-8 White Sox’ record were reversed.

I can get that Danks is likely the Vetern guy and someone like Sale might still look up to him. But I rarely see him pumping up the team or anything like that. that is more Melky and Lawrie right now.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/727605482739912704

Maybe Teheran and Markakis in a package deal for some salary relief and low level specs?
well the White Sox's farm system is shit but maybe all of the salaries. Fulmer, Anderson and Adolfo and maybe some international bonus pool slots.

i'd rather not trade Teheran though. I like his contract.

edit: i don't think there is a match though because of the White Sox's shit farm system.

I can get that Danks is likely the Vetern guy and someone like Sale might still look up to him. But I rarely see him pumping up the team or anything like that. that is more Melky and Lawrie right now.

Danks is by all accounts a great guy. And he deserves a lot of credit to be the first pitcher to recover from the surgery he had and he even was a cromulent #5 starter but it was obvious that was the rigtht baseball move. Still feel bad for Danks, he was a 4 win pitcher before his injury.

well the White Sox's farm system is shit but maybe all of the salaries. Fulmer, Anderson and Adolfo and maybe some international bonus pool slots.

I doubt it would take anything close to Fulmer or Anderson. They are basically untouchable but at this point I think the Braves are the most obvious trade partner. I'd think names like Spencer Adams would be intriguing.

edit: Didn't know Teheran signed an extension, thought he would be eligible for FA soon.

Windu

edit: Didn't know Teheran signed an extension, thought he would be eligible for FA soon.
Julio Teheran rhp
6 years/$32.4M (2014-19), plus 2020 option
•6 years/$32.4M (2014-19), plus 2020 club option •signed extension with Atlanta 2/14/14
•$1M signing bonus
•14:$0.8, 15:$1M, 16:$3.3M, 17:$6.3M, 18:$8M, 19:$11MM, 20:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
•award bonuses, including $50,000 for All-Star selection

•1 year/$0.49M (2013) •re-signed by Atlanta 2/27/13

•1 year (2012) •re-signed by Atlanta 3/2/12

•1 year (2011) •contract purchased by Atlanta 5/7/11

•signed by Atlanta 2007 as amateur free agent from Colombia
•$0.85M signing bonus
•agent: Relativity Baseball
•ML service: 3.062

zulux21

edit: i don't think there is a match though because of the White Sox's shit farm system.

you are crazy if you think the white sox would trade both anderson and fulmer. They aren't far from MLB ready and both project to be above average mlb starters o_O

don't get me wrong Julio Teheran has a lot of trade value (likely enough that he is basically untradable), but I doubt the white sox would be willing to give up much more than fulmer for him and there is no way in heck Markakis is worth anderson. beyond that anderson is very much the white sox's plan for SS the only way they trade him is if they get back someone else that they feel could be the everyday shortstop starting next year.

If the white sox were to go after the braves I imagine it would be for Markakis and Aaron Blair maybe giving up something like cortney hawkins, chris beck, matt davidson. (two of which need a change of scenery and the other is not having a great season)

they aren't going to be in a hurry to trade top prospects given that erik johnson should fill in just fine as a 5th starter, thus the left handed bat is really the bigger deal but even then it would be for a DH and isn't a huge need right now.

Windu

you are crazy if you think the white sox would trade both anderson and fulmer. They aren't far from MLB ready and both project to be above average mlb starters o_O

don't get me wrong Julio Teheran has a lot of trade value (likely enough that he is basically untradable), but I doubt the white sox would be willing to give up much more than fulmer for him and there is no way in heck Markakis is worth anderson. beyond that anderson is very much the white sox's plan for SS the only way they trade him is if they get back someone else that they feel could be the everyday shortstop starting next year.

If the white sox were to go after the braves I imagine it would be for Markakis and Aaron Blair maybe giving up something like cortney hawkins, chris beck, matt davidson.

they aren't going to be in a hurry to trade top prospects given that erik johnson should fill in just fine as a 5th starter, thus the left handed bat is really the bigger deal but even then it would be for a DH and isn't a huge need right now.
like i said, don't think there is a match.

Top Bottom