• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

SpaceHorror

Heading up to Atlanta and Turner Field tomorrow evening for the game. First time I've been in a few years.

I'm sure my mere presence will inspire Shelby Miller to come to life and no hit us.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
of all the teams that could not lose a SP. the angels are right up there. After the simmons trade, they have absolutely nothing in their farm to help out. So yeah their only option imo is FA or trade major league assets for SPs.
Heading up to Atlanta and Turner Field tomorrow evening for the game. First time I've been in a few years.

I'm sure my mere presence will inspire Shelby Miller to come to life and no hit us.
Thanks, i'll now know who to blame.

It's so tricky with Trout. He'd fetch an absolute fortune (the biggest ever seen), but I feel like Moreno wouldn't do something like that in a trillion years.

Would any team even offer enough for Trout? He's worth so much that I'm not sure there are teams willing to part with what would be required to get him.

Beckx

we live in a world where J.A. Happ is putting up Kershaw/Arrietta type numbers since the middle of last year

11-1 with a 1.82 ERA

zulux21

Would any team even offer enough for Trout? He's worth so much that I'm not sure there are teams willing to part with what would be required to get him.

in 2 years if opening day salaries stay the same mike trout would be more than 25% of the entire team salary of every team but
dodgers, yankees, red sox, tigers, giants, nationals, angels, ranges

thus not only would you need to get a prospect package that was worth it, you would also likely need to top that to get the angels to pay a decent chunk of his salary as he will be making 34mil a year 2018-2020.

I can't really see him being traded as the deal to do so would have to be absolutely massive.

BumRush

Probably not, you're right. But the Braves (opening a new stadium) and the Dodgers (can afford whatever they want) both have insane farm systems. It'd be interesting to say the least if they're out around the deadline.

Good golly Angels.

Good news is that Pujols is only under contract for 5 more seasons after this one for only $140 million.

At least CJ and Weaver come off the books next year. That's $40 million, uh, saved I guess.

And hot damn Josh Hamilton is still getting paid $26.4m this year and $26.4m next year.

What an unbelievably horrid shitshow of managing that business.

I don't see what other options the Angels have. And it's not like he's exactly cheap starting in 2018. His salary goes to $33.3m per year from 2018-2020. Next year Trout's making $19.3m.

Would make total sense to trade Trout now and get as much return as possible to stock the system. Path to sub .500 ball for the next 6-10 years the way things are set up now.

jbug617

Banned
I think a Red Sox offer for Trout would start with Betts, Moncada and Espinoza. Probably have to think about adding 1 more in Devers or Travis

BumRush

The Angels have the worst farm system in baseball, too. It makes a lot of sense (other than the fact that he's one of the two best baseball players on the planet).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bryce Harper for Mike Trout
i wonder if the nationals / angels would actually consider doing that trade. Mike Trout is signed for longer so i'd prefer him.
That trade definitely beats any other offer.
rFYDFKY.jpg

Benintendi, Moncada and Betts for Trout, straight up.

Feel bad that the player of our generation is gonna waste his prime on a garbage team run by a garbage owner.

They can't trade him though, they just can't. You don't trade players like that. I mean FFS he's already worth 2 WAR in all three variants of the stat and we're not even a week into May yet.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I actually do wonder if there's a trade that can built around Olivera, Billy Butler, and the A's competitive balance pick.

zulux21

I might be getting ahead of myself, but I think this Cubs team might be pretty good.

it's good enough to lead the majors in wins by a decent margin only to have the team hit a minor slump in a 5 game best of 3 series and be knocked out because playoffs are mostly about luck and not team build :p (Logically any team that makes it to the playoffs is a quality team. So even if the cubs are better than say the rockies, you still would at best give the cubs a 60-40 edge which can easily be broken by them having a few bad games or the rockies having a few good ones)

Beckx

yay good news for a rainy friday

@Pirates
OFFICIAL: The Pirates have recalled Jung Ho Kang from his Triple-A rehab & reinstated him from the 15-day DL

will start at 3rd tonight & bat 6th

bebop242

it's good enough to lead the majors in wins by a decent margin only to have the team hit a minor slump in a 5 game best of 3 series and be knocked out because playoffs are mostly about luck and not team build :p (Logically any team that makes it to the playoffs is a quality team. So even if the cubs are better than say the rockies, you still would at best give the cubs a 60-40 edge which can easily be broken by them having a few bad games or the rockies having a few good ones)

Keep hope alive, huh?

God I love Ross's quick throw to first.

Arrest warrant being issued for Zobrist. Murdering the ball and the nats!

Lol nats falling apart

Top Bottom