• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Quick pic I took across the street a few min ago:

ChzKQBeUoAADlE_.jpg:large

Benintendi, Moncada and Betts for Trout, straight up.

Feel bad that the player of our generation is gonna waste his prime on a garbage team run by a garbage owner.

They can't trade him though, they just can't. You don't trade players like that. I mean FFS he's already worth 2 WAR in all three variants of the stat and we're not even a week into May yet.

Does that even get it done? Feel like it starts at Bogearts, Betts, plus prospects like Moncada or Benintendi. Which is why it isn't going to happen.

Does that even get it done? Feel like it starts at Bogearts, Betts, plus prospects like Moncada or Benintendi. Which is why it isn't going to happen.

That's two top 10 prospects in all of baseball (including the future #1 prospect), a superstar CF/SS, and probably a couple throw ins to make it nicer. Maybe add Devers on top of it.

That's the biggest haul any player has ever gotten in history.

zulux21

Keep hope alive, huh?

God I love Ross's quick throw to first.

Arrest warrant being issued for Zobrist. Murdering the ball and the nats!

Lol nats falling apart

I'm a white sox fan, I just don't think I have it in me to seriously root for the cubs in the playoffs unless they square off against the giants this year :p

I am also not delusional enough to think that this cubs team will fall apart and not make it to the playoffs. thus I will just have to bank on the cubs team hitting a poorly timed slump to be knocked out in a short playoff series instead :p

That all being said I'm not completely against the cubs winning the world series as long as it isn't any major number/prediction. no 125 years since last time or back to the future crap. But this year will be the white sox's year as they will play well enough to get to the playoffs and then their hitting will come alive on a well timed hot streak lol.

That's two top 10 prospects in all of baseball (including the future #1 prospect), a superstar CF/SS, and probably a couple throw ins to make it nicer. Maybe add Devers on top of it.

That's the biggest haul any player has ever gotten in history.

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball and is under control for five more seasons after this one. He was worth ~9 fWAR last year, which is the same as Xander Bogearts and Mookie Betts combined. And he's done that for more or less the past four seasons and is well on his way to doing it a fifth time.

The Angels are right to ask for an absurd package. And other teams are right to say "no thanks."

bebop242

I'm a white sox fan, I just don't think I have it in me to seriously root for the cubs in the playoffs unless they square off against the giants this year :p

I am also not delusional enough to think that this cubs team will fall apart and not make it to the playoffs. thus I will just have to bank on the cubs team hitting a poorly timed slump to be knocked out in a short playoff series instead :p

That all being said I'm not completely against the cubs winning the world series as long as it isn't any major number/prediction. no 125 years since last time or back to the future crap. But this year will be the white sox's year as they will play well enough to get to the playoffs and then their hitting will come alive on a well timed hot streak lol.

I'm a Chicago fan so I was rooting for the White Sox to win when they won it all even though I dislike Reinsdorf, Hawk and the average Sox fan. However, I can understand the animosity towards the Cubs from the Sox fans viewpoint because outside of those couple months where they won it all, its always been a Cub town.

zulux21

I'm a Chicago fan so I was rooting for the White Sox to win when they won it all even though I dislike Reinsdorf, Hawk and the average Sox fan. However, I can understand the animosity towards the Cubs from the Sox fans viewpoint because outside of those couple months where they won it all, its always been a Cub town.

I try to be at least a mostly rational fan, but yeah a lot of the dislike is not only because it is a cub town, but in general in my life most cubs fans couldn't name 5 players on their rosters.

I had a coworker in 2014(I live in wisconsin now) who went on and on on how big of a cubs fan he was and how he goes to at least two games a year. But when he was about to go to a cubs game I said something along the lines of "Castro and Rizzo were solid for you weren't they?" and he just looked at me and said "who?" I continued on with, at least you will get to see Jake Arrieta pitch (who was having a good season but not nearly as good as this year and last) and he didn't know him either.

turned out the only player he could name on the cubs was Jeff Samardzija and he thought Kerry Wood was the cub's ace starter :/

and that is just how cubs fans I have come across always have been. They just want to go to the park and drink, they don't actually know to much about the team aside from the fact that it's always going to be their year even if they are mathematically eliminated :p

That all being said I know there are some decent ones out there, just haven't met many of them.

and to be fair cubs fans are not the worst fanbase I have come across. That one easily goes to red sox fans. I went to a ton of games growing up and met plenty of fans from other teams over the years, but I have never met a decent red sox fan at comisky park, heck. I don't think I could even call the ones I met decent human beings.

The one I know now IRL is better than the ones I met over the years, but he still barely knows anything about his team and just uses watching baseball games as an excuse to drink.

I know there are a couple decent ones in this thread, but yeah. by far the worst baseball fanbase I have ever talked to at a stadium. Surprisingly I have had great experiences with yankees fans though.

all of that said. When it is said and done, if the cubs make it to the world series, and it isn't against the white sox, there is a decent chance I will root for the cubs for the same reason I rooted for KC last year. In the end it will be slightly better for my team. The white sox face KC at home 9-10 times which is 9-10 times they could get extra people in the seats to see the former champs. If the cubs win it, yes it will likely create a ton of annoying bandwagon fans, but at the same time it could inspire a lot of people in chicago to care about baseball again, and at least some of them might become white sox fans which would help :p.

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball and is under control for five more seasons after this one. He was worth ~9 fWAR last year, which is the same as Xander Bogearts and Mookie Betts combined. And he's done that for more or less the past four seasons and is well on his way to doing it a fifth time.

The Angels are right to ask for an absurd package. And other teams are right to say "no thanks."

That's the point though, I'm saying that the package he'd be getting would be ridiculous, franchise altering.

zulux21

I wish there was radar gun at Timmy's showcase.

are there high speed cameras? if so you could use science by learning how many frames per second there are and then counting the number of frames it takes for the ball to leave his hand and move across the plate and then taking that time frame and doing some math to get feet/second and then converting that to MPH :p

are there high speed cameras? if so you could use science by learning how many frames per second there are and then counting the number of frames it takes for the ball to leave his hand and move across the plate and then taking that time frame and doing some math to get feet/second and then converting that to MPH :p

The cam I was watching DEFINITELY not a high speed camera. I was hoping he looked good enough to resign and DFA Peavy.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Someone stop the Cubs.

After the Nats series though.

Edit -

Patrick Saunders ‏@psaundersdp

#Rockies put Nick Hundley on 15-day DL, Garneau called up. This is a blow to Rox.

bebop242

all of that said. When it is said and done, if the cubs make it to the world series, and it isn't against the white sox, there is a decent chance I will root for the cubs for the same reason I rooted for KC last year. In the end it will be slightly better for my team. The white sox face KC at home 9-10 times which is 9-10 times they could get extra people in the seats to see the former champs. If the cubs win it, yes it will likely create a ton of annoying bandwagon fans, but at the same time it could inspire a lot of people in chicago to care about baseball again, and at least some of them might become white sox fans which would help :p.

Yea the Sox could use more fans, they deserve it. I'm also not in Chicago any more but I can imagine the vast majority of the baseball focus in Chicago is on the Cubs even tho the Sox are playing good ball as well.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Listen, Sean Newcomb just tossed 6 innings with only 1 walk (and with 8Ks) so baseball can't make me sad today.

a year later and I still feel Ventura is a punk.

Not a punk. But very likely not a future ace pitcher, like most of us hoped/predicted. He has almost no control this year, and is either walking everyone or getting crushed.

He has the tools to be great, but it doesn't look like it will come together. He's more like a #4 guy.

Top Bottom